E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Its official! Mercedes Navigation system is Crap!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its big and Grey!
Originally Posted by rjm
Because they build a better car.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:25 PM

Tesla
Because I don't want to have my wife and kid stranded on the side of the road. We did look at the ML and almost every single owner I know tell me to stay away. Sure it doesn't drive like a R-class, but remember it's a baby hauler. It has just about every bell and whistle. For example, radar cruise control (distancetronic), backup sensor (parktronic), backup video camera (na on MB), integrated DVD with surround sound, heated seats, tire pressure sensor, etc. Stuff you would pay through the nose for on an MB.

Sunman: Yeah I see your name on siennaclub! That override is only temporary. Unless if somebody found something new?

The DVD system integrates well with the nav. You get full control of DVD player through the touchscreen.

Those who thinks the COMAND is nice, really go try a Toyota or Honda navigation system. It's like comparing Windows 3.11 with Mac OS X. Don't get me wrong, I still love my MB. But the nav has a long way to go. (yes I did read through the manual eventually)
Attached Thumbnails Its official! Mercedes Navigation system is Crap!!!!-toy_nav.jpg   Its official! Mercedes Navigation system is Crap!!!!-toy_nav2.jpg  

Last edited by steph280; 11-29-2005 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55
Originally Posted by SAguirre
Now to post on the actual subject of this thread. . .

I got my dealer to include the satellite navigation and radio just as a toy when I bought my car. I then started to use it and I have found it quite useful. It has never taken me on a wield goose chase of any kind. I also find that being within the block of your destination address it fine. Unless you are blind you can always find the exact address.

If you are still stuck on having the driveway as the exact destination you can always enter the GPS coordinates as the destination and it will always take you there. I do this because some of the destinations I drive to are not yet mapped since they are in new developments.

As per the POIs, I just successfully used this feature this week in Leadville Colorado. I wanted to go to a particular museum. It was listed in the museum list for that city and it took me right to the front door.

As per the rest of the complaints, I see the points about the lack of more routes and the possibly incomplete POIs on the DVD nav system. But this can all be solved by a software upgrade. Am I wrong?

Don’t blame an incorrect map or POI listing as a hardware problem when this can easily be fixed by changing DVDs when a new version comes out. Does anyone know if this is planned on the next DVD? For example, on one of my Navigation menus I have the choice for 3d view, but it is low-lighted. Obviously the system can do it but the DVD does not have the info.

As per the button pushing versus a touch screen; I have a Mosaic remote control that is an LCD touch screen, it is nice because you can make your own buttons for each of your other remotes and put them on a screen. The system is great, but I find myself always having to look at it since I can not feel the buttons. I sometimes use the regular remote since I can use it without looking. All this aside, the biggest problem with a touch screen is that I would be constantly cleaning the screen because I can’t stand a dirty display! I can punch in destinations very quickly on this interface.

So I don’t believe that the MB nav sucks since it has worked very well for me. I am sure that there are better systems out there but I am totally OK with the way the MB system has worked for me so far.

I hope this helps to answer the question about the Nav from MB for those of you who have been wondering if it is worth it to get.

Steve
Not exactly that easy.

It will depend on when DCX wake up and revamp the entire software.

Pretty much all Navi disc uses data from navitech.

But toyota, honda, BMW, and even audi took the time to develop better software on top of the data that navitech provided.

The data disk itself is not the problem, but the command system itself needs to be upgraded.

Btw, DCX does have ability to incorporate a far more advance navi then it equips here. The pioneer (or apline, can't remember) unit it uses in W211 in Japan is far superior than anything we have here (in fact it is as good as any JDM navi out there).
Old 11-29-2005, 02:41 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by W210
Krispy, you call BMW Canada and find out directly what phones they support, only three. V710, V600 and Razor. And out of the 3, only V710 comes with a docking station in the car.

Regarding the virtual keypad vs. regular keypad, try entering numbers on a screen not looking and you'll know what I mean. I can dial with my eyes closed on the 7 series dial pad, or COMAND without looking, I doubt anyone can do the same on a virtual touch screen keypad.
BMW canada is so behind.

V600 cradle is the same one as V300, and pretty much and V series shares the same cradle.

My V551 also uses the same cradle even though it is not listed as compatible to the cradle.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by krispykrme
BMW canada is so behind.

V600 cradle is the same one as V300, and pretty much and V series shares the same cradle.

My V551 also uses the same cradle even though it is not listed as compatible to the cradle.
Indeed:

http://www.motorolavip.com/shop/?car=bmw

It'll be nice if the V710 cradle will work with more phones. My biggest problem with BMW's telematics is the lack of cradles for charging and signal boost. With the 7, I get the numeric keypad so I'm not complaining.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by steph280
Those who thinks the COMAND is nice, really go try a Toyota or Honda navigation system. It's like comparing Windows 3.11 with Mac OS X. Don't get me wrong, I still love my MB. But the nav has a long way to go. (yes I did read through the manual eventually)
Now, Mac OS X is nice but I can't agree the Honda navigation is that good! I still wish our Honda Odyssey Touring has some kind of control panel at the armrest level so I don't have to suspend my arm in mid air fiddling with the virtual keypad.

Maybe I'm more used to COMAND but at this stage, I honestly don't see the Honda one in our Odyssey Touring as significantly superior, they both have their pros and cons. The Honda is nice having Zagat and a nice large screen, but for entering addresses, I find myself quicker with COMAND.

The BMW 750Li one on the other hand, seems to be a step below COMAND and Honda. That iDrive knob is painfully slow.

Last edited by W210; 11-29-2005 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:38 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by W210
Indeed:

http://www.motorolavip.com/shop/?car=bmw

It'll be nice if the V710 cradle will work with more phones. My biggest problem with BMW's telematics is the lack of cradles for charging and signal boost. With the 7, I get the numeric keypad so I'm not complaining.
you may ask your dealer to order you the V300/V600 cradle.

As far as i know this also works for V551.

If you have problem, it would be the address book will not automaticall transfer. But the charging and antennae will still work.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:53 AM
IllCDI

krispy,
nope..... data for navi cd's/dvds never come from just one source usually its a combo of navteq, teleatlas, aerial photography interpretation, and field collection. comand can be updated through an update dvd..... case in point check out the 06 update for all denso systems......it will have lane count info pretty sweet. but these are just geee whiz gizmos...ill still take my comand over any touch screen system....only unit that is better is th nissan units with that great joystick

Last edited by IllCDI; 11-30-2005 at 01:58 AM.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Originally Posted by steph280
Well, I run OS X.4 on 3 macs and I'd compare the Audi system more to it, and the Toyota system more to Windows XP.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by IllCDI
krispy,
nope..... data for navi cd's/dvds never come from just one source usually its a combo of navteq, teleatlas, aerial photography interpretation, and field collection. comand can be updated through an update dvd..... case in point check out the 06 update for all denso systems......it will have lane count info pretty sweet. but these are just geee whiz gizmos...ill still take my comand over any touch screen system....only unit that is better is th nissan units with that great joystick
So you're saying the "good news" is that the DVD can be significantly updated to reflect better graphics for the current COMAND?
Old 11-30-2005, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by CE750
So you're saying the "good news" is that the DVD can be significantly updated to reflect better graphics for the current COMAND?
What is the big thing about great graphics for navigation systems except for sales hype. I for one do not look at the screen while I am driving, but listen to the directions. If I want to see a image of the upcoming turn or whatever I look at the dash display in B & W. I had great graphics on my Co-Pilot install on IPAQ and graphics on my Magellan Roadmate 700...never did look at the screen, only listened t the directions.

Great graphics are nice to look at on my Apple screen but at 50-80mph, I prefer the road....:-)))
Old 11-30-2005, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
What is the big thing about great graphics for navigation systems except for sales hype. I for one do not look at the screen while I am driving, but listen to the directions. If I want to see a image of the upcoming turn or whatever I look at the dash display in B & W. I had great graphics on my Co-Pilot install on IPAQ and graphics on my Magellan Roadmate 700...never did look at the screen, only listened t the directions.

Great graphics are nice to look at on my Apple screen but at 50-80mph, I prefer the road....:-)))
And let's not forget that the display of the directions on the dash (in the W211's case) speedo is a great feature of the COMAND..

but I'd still like to see better map detail for when I'm trying to get a better grip on where I am.. the map is a bit space for me. Maybe it's not COMAND, but the data base itself that's lacking.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:35 PM
IllCDI

CE750,

The graphics are dependant on the base map and "Extras" that are added on by the design team. Mercedes decided to go against the flashy type maps that you see on the Toyota/Lexus' systems and went with the functional "non distracting" type of map. This type of map allows the COMAND to have imo superior map matching capabilities over the Toyota/Lexus navis because more system resources are available. Technically speaking it can be "significantly" upgraded but that would require a redesign (on the DVD Map side), which would never happen.... Something that probably will happen is added functions and added database information.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:23 PM

Tesla
Is there some special way you guys are entering address into the comand? I only know of two method: scrolling through the alphabet with the cursor key and press ok, or use the number pad ala cell phone method. How are these two methods easier than having full keyboard layout on the touch screen, or Honda's voice recognization where you can say "main street" instead of spelling m-a-i-n etc?

Another thing I dislike is the map displays far less street names on the screen. All you see are empty roads with name on one or two of them. Yet it will display the full name of a nearby park which runs over onto streets confusing it as street name sometime.

I do like the MFD in the dash, no doubt about that. But voice does a pretty good job too.

COMAND also have some annoyances when using other functions. For one, I hate the fact that in map mode you are completely locked out of all buttons when you change radio station. It doesn't let me press anything until the pop up box disappears. This makes channel surfing impossible. Plus it takes more than one key stroke to switch from CD to radio for example.

Toyota nav = XP: That's a pretty good comparison. I'll have to take a closer look at an Audi nav sometime.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
The Audi nav is not that exciting either. I installed one in a A4 last week. Same size screen. One dial for everything. You have to keep turning the dial to select a letter and press it. Kind of annoying. They use navtech maps as well. Not sure which POI's they use but it was definitly better than the E class map. I am sure the new E class map dvd will solve many problems. There's hardly any data on a E class map dvd. The entire DVD is only 1 gig. The audi was around 4.5 gigs. Toyota is around 6.5 gigs. This is a good compairson as to how much data is on it.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think it's fair to say the data on the Toyota disk is more complete, and the graphics of the map better.... but the overall execution and implementation of the COMAND is better for me. I only wish it had voice command.. I paid $700 to install it for the radio, but was told it controlled the NAV.. well, all I can do is call up NAV, or MAP.. but no entry of data, etc. possible.. MB Should fix this via a SB.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
the Euro Voice control can be used to enter destinations via voice.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E500 4matic, 2014 GL320, 2013 C300, 2015 Stingray
hmmm...

SUNMAN,

so the eurovoice control - will it work on the US COMAND?
If so - email pricing on that too!!!

thx.

Aceman
Old 11-30-2005, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by sunman
I am sure the new E class map dvd will solve many problems. There's hardly any data on a E class map dvd. The entire DVD is only 1 gig. The audi was around 4.5 gigs. Toyota is around 6.5 gigs. This is a good compairson as to how much data is on it.
Are you saying that the next USA Navupdate DVD will contain much more info than the one that came with the car or the one I purchased at the dealer 18 months later? What will it be called v2006.x ?

When should it be available?
Old 11-30-2005, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

the Euro Voice control can be used to enter destinations via voice.
Wish I knew that before I bought mine! Steve's price was the same, so I figured I would just get it at the dealer so I can get it warranted.

What the hell is everything EURO better than the US SPEC??

MBUSA must be a bunch of idiots, I tell you!
Old 11-30-2005, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
I am not sure when the new 06 disc will be available for the E class. Should be soon hopefully. It was just released for the MCS2 systems a few weeks back. I have not plugged in a Euro VCS into a US comand BUT I have tried a US VCS in a EURO comand and it DOES work.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
I am not sure when the new 06 disc will be available for the E class. Should be soon hopefully. It was just released for the MCS2 systems a few weeks back. I have not plugged in a Euro VCS into a US comand BUT I have tried a US VCS in a EURO comand and it DOES work.
Does that mean when I get my Euro COMAND I can use voice control on my NAV? My car has VCS installed from factory.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:18 AM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Originally Posted by Kev04C320
Does that mean when I get my Euro COMAND I can use voice control on my NAV? My car has VCS installed from factory.
As mentioned by Sunman, the US VCS does work with the Euro COMMAND ...

but

as testified by others, the Euro VCS has more functionality. I LOVE my EURO COMMAND with EURO VCS. Steve installed mine and he did a first class job.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
if your car has VCS from factory then it's the USA version so you will have to switch to the Euro version first.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:41 AM

'06 E320 CDI
If you use the Navi as a map and toy it is pretty good. If you need it to take you directly to specific addresses; well it just doesn't do it well very often.
After calling Navteq and MB; the best answer I could get is that MB doesn't have the system with more detail because too much info on the maps may somehow be a safety issue...Not sure I get that; as I enter the destination on the thing BEFORE I start driving.

Has anyone tried to locate destinations by enterring the GPS coordinates?
Curious to know how good that works for finding specific addresses.
I have found numerous websites that allow you to convert an address to specific coordinates so i will give it a try today (locally) and see how effective it is.

The other thing I really miss (maybe I just don't know how to do it with the MB Navi) is the ability for the Navi to figure your route and offer you a choice of 2 or 3;allowing you to choose the one you want to use..The MB unit seems to figure one route and often times it is not a great choice. For example when I got the car a couple weeks ago, as a "test" I had it calculate the route for me to drive to work. It is only a 12 mile trip using county roads; the MB navi calculated a route that was about 5 miles and 10 minutes longer. It took me in a big loop out of the way apparently to get to a state road and use it for a few miles and then bring me back to the destination I wanted. Actually, it didn't bring me back to THE destination, it brought me within a couple blocks of the destination......I suppose I could play with the system and tell it not to use Freeways or something but if you were going some place you had never been, you would not know if you wanted some of those "preferences" on or off. The Eclipse unit I put in the Hummer, gives a choice of 3 routes and a summary (miles/time) and even lets you preview the route by a list of roads or better yet, it will highlight the various routes on the map so that you can see what will be happening. Some basic options like that would be very helpful to those that need/use the unit for business or frequent travel.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Its official! Mercedes Navigation system is Crap!!!!