E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Why are MB vehicles so (too??) expensive? And, no, this is not a "troll" post. (more)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Originally Posted by rjm
LOL! This is the biggest piece of baloney I have ever read on an automotive forum.
btw Joe, this is what's known in the vernacular as "Hyperbole" .. but yet we are to take it seriously?

I seem to recall we agreed to stick to facts, and observations, and avoid ad hominem and other forms of bandwidth waste.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by benzmodz
Why does everyone blame the car. It would be like blaming the fork in a bad restaurant.
My mistake.
It's your fault! ALL YOUR FAULT!

My point sucks doesn't it? So does yalls. We're beating a dead horse.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:09 AM
rjm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multiple
Originally Posted by CE750
Good humor, but nevertheless, the MB is better a better built car.
A totally empty, meaningless and unsupported statement.
As you said in your post:

CE750 Wrote:
"I seem to recall we agreed to stick to facts, and observations, and avoid ad hominem and other forms of bandwidth waste."
Old 11-28-2005, 08:45 AM

This is like the endless tennis volley...my neck hurts now.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PHXATC
This is like the endless tennis volley...my neck hurts now.
Smartest observation of this entire thread. As always you're on the money!
Old 11-28-2005, 03:38 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
I agree with JWS3. What he is saying is that he does not see a $30K difference in PERCEIVED VALUE. Neither do I. My daily drive is 2004 G35X. I like the way the car handles, acceleration, and braking. Sure, it does not have as many gadgets as my E500; neither as quiet as my E, but I do not see the $30K plus difference in price either. The PERCEIVED VALUE of MB to me is definitely not $30k more!

Let me give you another good example. I am a audiophile. I own a pair of Thiel CS 2.4, which retail for about $4500, a relatively low cost speaker in the world of high-end speakers. There are high end speakers that cost well over $25K to $80K. Of course, the sound may be somewhat better than my Thiel, and the finish of these speakers are breathless to look at. But are they 10 times better than my speakers? I do not see it in my PERCEIVED VALUE. Obviously, the people who pay for these speakers at these exotic prices do not agree with me and they would vehemently defend their purchase decisions when challenged. My point is it is the PERCEIVED VALUE that each of us ultimately decides whether the prices of certain goods are overpriced. These are very subjective matters. But if MB continues with its reliability problem, then the perceived value would become less and less to most of us.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
My mistake.
It's your fault! ALL YOUR FAULT!

My point sucks doesn't it? So does yalls. We're beating a dead horse.
Seems to me y'all need to find a better technician if that iron horse of yours spends so much time in the air.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by benzmodz
Seems to me y'all need to find a better technician if that iron horse of yours spends so much time in the air.
I wish I could, but the really good ones are so far and few between. I remember you posting about Mercedes' hiring scheme, the first few questions had nothing to do with the cars themselves in the interview

It's okay though, just give it time and Mercedes will bring it around.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by Flash Gordon
. My point is it is the PERCEIVED VALUE that each of us ultimately decides whether the prices of certain goods are overpriced. These are very subjective matters. But if MB continues with its reliability problem, then the perceived value would become less and less to most of us.
Absolutely right on the button Flash...it is the individual likes and dislikes and the "perceived value" by that individual that sees one buy a MB and another a Lexus or a Ford...

However, your last line could also be written in a more positive note..."But if Mercedes continues with its positive progress in returning to the quality levels that is it known so well for, then the perceived value will become more and more to most of us." I think this is a valid rewrite based on the quality levels of the 2004-2006 models over the early 2000-2003 period. My later produced 2003 E had no problems to speak of and it appears this trend continues. The early W220 had serious quality problems so I understand until the 2003 facelift and have improved since then. My 2006 is in my estimation a solid, traditional MB built car and I had a lot of the so-called "tanks" built in the '70's and 80's. I prefer to look at the positive future direction of MB rather than the darker days of this short lived down period in their long history of being the quality luxury car maker of the world.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:18 PM

Mercedes has some good designs. However, some parts that they design are overly complicated. A lot of their parts are overpriced. You have to weigh the pros and cons. In my opinion, if they keep doing this, the equation will change and I won't get a Mercedes. For now, the equation is that it is a slightly better car at a somewhat higher cost than it should be.

Some of their designs make it difficult for the do-it-yourselfer. People who work on their own cars understand the design and may appreciate the car. I work on my car a bit. However, I tend to work on my other (non-Mercedes) car because the Mercedes is just too user unfriendly and jam packed together. My other car is not Japanese. It's European but slightly more user friendly.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:57 PM

2004 E500
EXACTLY- Sums up my thoughts

[QUOTE=S2016] For now, the equation is that it is a slightly better car at a somewhat higher cost than it should be.

QUOTE]

This is the problem--a slightly better car for a dispoportionately higher cost. Every small increment comes at an ever steeping price. At what point is it "just not worth it"?
And, yes, to answer another poster-- I get the "watch" comparison. But, watches at least to my limited knowledge depreciate like a stone off a cliff as do MB cars as of late. My issue w/ MB is that the spread between its products and the rest has narrowed considerably and then some, while quality/reliability issues have gotten worse.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE=JWS3]
Originally Posted by S2016
For now, the equation is that it is a slightly better car at a somewhat higher cost than it should be.

QUOTE]

This is the problem--a slightly better car for a dispoportionately higher cost. Every small increment comes at an ever steeping price. At what point is it "just not worth it"?
And, yes, to answer another poster-- I get the "watch" comparison. But, watches at least to my limited knowledge depreciate like a stone off a cliff as do MB cars as of late. My issue w/ MB is that the spread between its products and the rest has narrowed considerably and then some, while quality/reliability issues have gotten worse.
This is true, in that a Toyota 25 years ago didn't dare to compare to a Mercedes, even a lowly 240D... but this is not so much because MB did anything wrong, as more to do with Toyota copying MB, and doing a lot right.. still, the handling, and driving experience of an MB is significantly better, or so do many experts (and consumers).. read these reviews on Edmonds.com, especially note the 9.2 vs 9.6 rating given by owners of the S430 vs LS430... to compare Apples to Apples.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/merc...chlanding.html

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/lexu...chlanding.html
Old 11-28-2005, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I prefer to look at the positive future direction of MB rather than the darker days of this short lived down period in their long history of being the quality luxury car maker of the world.
Good point, as it's clear the years between 2000-2003 have done a lot of harm to MB... My 2005 has been perfect, amazingly perfect.. going on 8000 trouble free miles (every car I've owned has shown problems early on in the first 2000 or so miles that needed fixing.. -VW Passat, and Volvo XC90). MB did spend some 2 Billion on QC between 2004-present, and I think it's showing in the newer models..

Again, I'm amazed at the over all quality of this car, even the hardware used in such hard to notice areas like the door latch, and shrouds around exhaust parts are very impressive.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
Mercedes can't win. If they lowered the prices of their cars and sold them for about the same prices as Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura are charging for their automobiles, some people would say those cars are not "real" Mercedes. Case in point, the C-class sedans.

Last edited by mick1; 11-28-2005 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by mick1
Mercedes can't win. If they lowered the prices of their cars and sold them for about the same prices as Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura are charging for their automobiles, some people would say those cars are not "real" Mercedes. Case in point, the C-class sedans.
or... the A-Class....
Old 11-28-2005, 11:49 PM

08 E320 Bluetec
JWS3, if you think the Honda, Subaru and Hyundai make you wonder then you better not look at Acura!

That's what I have now and my almost 4 year old TL is still in new condition. No squeaks, bumps or rattles and it rides just as good as it did from day 1.

The Benz is one of the few brands I feel is nicer . . . but there is no way it even comes close if reliability is important. Say what you want about statistics but most Japanese models . . and even some American models blow away MB when you look at realiablity. These are proven facts.

If it wasn't for wanting a Diesel car, I would be buying another Acura and that is mainly because of what JWS3 is saying . . . where is the 20 or 30 grand going? If I didn't care about money, and had lots of it to burn, then no problem. I would own one of each. I DO like MB !!

The reason the opinions in this thread differ so wildly is simple human nature (and blind love). If you love your car, you will forgive minor problems. Also, if you haven't experienced any problems, you will dismiss those who have. However, if you can take a step back and look at it objectively, you will agree that MB's have a heafty price tag and a lot of what you are paying extra for is just to own one . . . . Status, as someone put it.

All that being said, I am perfectly willing to trade my Acura for a new MB but I know I'm going to pay out the butt for it and I know it "might" not be as reliable. But I still WANT ONE!!

Last edited by Frugal1; 11-29-2005 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
I'll buy a Honda Accord, or Hyundai

When they build a top-notch, real wheel drive, diesel car that weighs 4000 lbs and has an iron-block staight-6. And can be crashed at 80MPH without scattering like a jet crash.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cdiken
When they build a top-notch, real wheel drive, diesel car that weighs 4000 lbs and has an iron-block staight-6. And can be crashed at 80MPH without scattering like a jet crash.
So well put! so..so.. well put!
Old 11-29-2005, 07:56 AM
rjm

Multiple
Originally Posted by Frugal1
The reason the opinions in this thread differ so wildly is simple human nature (and blind love). If you love your car, you will forgive minor problems. Also, if you haven't experienced any problems, you will dismiss those who have. However, if you can take a step back and look at it objectively, you will agree that MB's have a heafty price tag and a lot of what you are paying extra for is just to own one . . . . Status, as someone put it.

BINGO! You hit it on the head! An excellent summation of the entire thread.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:23 AM
rjm

Multiple
[QUOTE=CE750]
Originally Posted by JWS3
...still, the handling, and driving experience of an MB is significantly better, or so do many experts (and consumers).. read these reviews on Edmonds.com, especially note the 9.2 vs 9.6 rating given by owners of the S430 vs LS430... to compare Apples to Apples.
You shouldn't be referring to these consumer reviews or you will upset your friends by giving them some credence and validity. Nevada Jack said all these consumer reviews are baloney and meaningless. You can't put any confidence in consumer reviews like Edmonds.com or Consumer Reports, or J.D. Powers Automotive Reviews, and the car editor's reviews you read in Car and Driver, Motor Trend, and Automotive Review, and similar industry magazines are worthless. Of course, that is just one man's opinion.

I think if you will go through Edmunds.com and compare all models of Lexus to all models of Mercedes-Benz, you will see a wide disparity in favor of the Lexus products.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by rjm
I think if you will go through Edmunds.com and compare all models of Lexus to all models of Mercedes-Benz, you will see a wide disparity in favor of the Lexus products.

That will get another 2 pages of discussion and 40 links!
Old 11-29-2005, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by PHXATC
That will get another 2 pages of discussion and 40 links!
Poor rjm...still trying to justify that LS430 to yourself? I don't have to compare...I enjoy my MB rather than pine for one....:-)))
Old 11-29-2005, 01:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W211 2005 CDI, X166 2013 350 BT, 997.1 2008 C4S
Wow! So much emotion from a thread. My suggestion is enjoy the car knowing we all probably paid more than we could have on another car.
RJM, I have been following your banter on these boards for some time...why are you still here? What positivity or constructive input do you offer? We welcome all input but I think you mostly enjoy "stirring the pot". Enjoy your Lexus and contribute to their forums as well.
Jay
Old 11-29-2005, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE=rjm]
Originally Posted by CE750

You shouldn't be referring to these consumer reviews or you will upset your friends by giving them some credence and validity. Nevada Jack said all these consumer reviews are baloney and meaningless. You can't put any confidence in consumer reviews like Edmonds.com or Consumer Reports, or J.D. Powers Automotive Reviews, and the car editor's reviews you read in Car and Driver, Motor Trend, and Automotive Review, and similar industry magazines are worthless. Of course, that is just one man's opinion.

Actually I have... and the only place I find the Lexus to excell is the IS300 over the C350.. and even then it's marginal.

The S>LS - the 2007 promises to even impress more.
The E>ES

especially in two areas... driving experience, and safety..
Old 11-29-2005, 05:07 PM

"Here is what struck me- Yes, MB is better, but the difference in materials/engineering seems to only account for perhaps 5-10K. Where did the other 20 go?? Profit? Huge labor costs?

Again, I am not here to bust on MB or re-start the Lexus/MB debate. Instead, I remain stunned by how much better the others have come while MB hasn't done as much. Never, ever thought I'd actually have a thought cross my mind as I drove a Subaru "Damn, trhis thing isn;t all that far from my Benz, why did I pay 2X as much for perhaps a 20% difference? Believe me, I didn't want to have those thoughts- just couldn't help it. My wife asked my if I was out in the cold too long when I mentioned my thoughts to her. SHe was also hopeful that my fascination w/ expensive cars would come down a notch or two!"

Well I understand yoour thoughts perfectly, because i've had them myself. In fact, I BOUGHT a Subaru Outback for the wife instead of an ml or an x5 for that very reason. Now make no mistake, there still isn't a Japanese car that can give you the ride quality of a Benz ( or bmw or audi) in a sedan, but in the grocery/kid hauler why pay more? I have to also agree that in the next 25 years with the advent of great cars from Korea and China this competition will only intensify. This is all a good thing for us consumers.
By the way whoever posted that story about the acura tl...terrific car. If they ever make a rear wheel drive out of that thing with its current interior it will rule the entry level luxury class. Nonetheless, it and the RL still are not there in the driving experience department. I have little doubt that they will get there someday soon.......

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Why are MB vehicles so (too??) expensive? And, no, this is not a "troll" post. (more)