Steering Wheel Is Broken...:(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 02:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211 & w124
Steering Wheel Is Broken...:(

My steering wheel will not move vertically. In fact, it is stuck in a very low driving position that makes it very difficult for me to enter and exit the car. I have been really patient with all of these "minor" inconveniences but it is really starting to wear me out.

Not to mention the several other recurring problems that have not been fixed even after seeing the service department at least two times per issue:
  1. Passenger seatbelt chime comes on when nothing is on the seat (been serviced 4 times by two different dealerships)
  2. A/C fan shuts down 10 seconds after starting the car
  3. A/C has a funny smell (sometimes it smells like vinegar, sometimes like dried plums, sometimes like cigarette smoke and I don't even smoke)
I hate to even think it but I am starting to question my love for these cars that seem to only give me trouble and a slimmer bank account.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
I dislike the power tilt column

It is so slow, plus, I like to start my car in the garage and let it warm up without getting in. When go to get in the car, the wheel is already dropped.

Is there an "exit only" setting to raise the wheel, but remain manual operation for the pull-down?

My favorite tilt columns are the domestic car units without power assist. Foreign jobs have that awkward lever on the underside.

I would gladly give up power tilt, for simplicity, esp if it made the car about $500 cheaper to buy.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
Good point. I too hate when I warm it up and the steering wheel stays down in the memory position. At least it should raise when the door is opened even if the car is running.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 CLS55 P030
Originally Posted by Samoan_Ridah
My steering wheel will not move vertically. In fact, it is stuck in a very low driving position that makes it very difficult for me to enter and exit the car. I have been really patient with all of these "minor" inconveniences but it is really starting to wear me out.

Not to mention the several other recurring problems that have not been fixed even after seeing the service department at least two times per issue:
  1. Passenger seatbelt chime comes on when nothing is on the seat (been serviced 4 times by two different dealerships)
  3. A/C has a funny smell (sometimes it smells like vinegar, sometimes like dried plums, sometimes like cigarette smoke and I don't even smoke)
I hate to even think it but I am starting to question my love for these cars that seem to only give me trouble and a slimmer bank account.
steering column---many possiblilties...?
Pass seat-belt chime---if u put stuff in the pass seat while driving---dont. If not, the weight sensing system needs to be re-calibrated...if it has been.. then it may need control unit.
A/c fan---needs blower regulator...and possibly blr motor..if reg was replaced already..then it needs a old part # reg. from a early 03 model.
a/c smell----bacteria//fungus in evap case..if smell treatment has been performed already than a improved evaporator is available w/ special coating to prevent this..p.s. this issue doesnt occur in all climates.
MBw211, for me=job security! mabe this helps?
Old 12-12-2005, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by Samoan_Ridah

I've had the inoperative steering column occur twice. Both times it was solved by reprogramming the computer to be told that electric tilt was present in the car. One failure resulted in being able to make the wheel go in & out, but not up & down manually with the switch lever, but not automatically, for a short while, and then no motion at all when using only 1 of the keys and not the other, the other failure was complete, and no operation with any key used. (A reflash & the problem has never reocured).

I'll bet the A/C fans stop within 10 seconds AFTER they go into the MAX speed by themselves or you press "Defrost"
...Be sure the battery control module recall is performed and the alternator/regulator recall is done. Also there is a fan controll module that was replaced in the (USA) passenger underdash area. The problem has never reocurred.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 12-12-2005 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
Thanks for all the info guys. The seatbelt thing has been checked, rechecked and replaced at least 3 times at two different dealerships. Sometimes I'll have a water bottle on the seat and other times there will be nothing but it will still go off. I have just gotten used to riding around with the passenger seatbelt engaged. As for the A/C, they've already replaced the blower and performed the BCM recall to no avail. And they also did the smell treatment thing but the problem is back, I will inquire about the "improved evaporator" tomorrow at my appointment.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
I've been jinxed....tilt motor sound but no movement...

In December I posted how I don't like power tilt.

I now downgrade my rating to HATE power tilt.

Mine is stuck in the topmost position. Will be about 2 weeks until its fixed. What a hassle, I wish it would be de-contented since they can't build reliability into it.

Search of MBWORLD reveals lots of issues with power tilt. Dealer service advisor gives usual deer-in-headlights "wow, we don't see these too often."

KB
Old 02-28-2006, 07:02 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
Originally Posted by 516mbtek
MBw211, for me=job security! mabe this helps?

I ran into a (not literally) technician from Barrier M-B at a local taco/booze establishment and ranted about my car's problems for a few minutes (in a comical way - not an in-your-grille kind of way) and he laughed and said that between the 1st gen ML and the W211 he'd always have a job.

Barrier has done right by my brother ('04 SL500) and the Audi techs and service advisors at the same dealership have really taken great care of me and my S4.

On topic - I just opted to skip the easy entry feature. The seat portion of the program never seemed to operate consistently and the wheel adjustment was painfully slow.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
Originally Posted by cdiken
In December I posted how I don't like power tilt.

I now downgrade my rating to HATE power tilt.

Mine is stuck in the topmost position. Will be about 2 weeks until its fixed. What a hassle, I wish it would be de-contented since they can't build reliability into it.

Search of MBWORLD reveals lots of issues with power tilt. Dealer service advisor gives usual deer-in-headlights "wow, we don't see these too often."

KB
It's just a little tab or something that gets stuck and they replace it. Tell your service advisor that it is making it very hard to drive, making it a hazardous situation. That should get them to have you come in immediately and fixed right away.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:47 AM

You're not supposed to sit your girlfriend on the steering wheel!

Glad you got it fixed (the steering wheel).