E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

New galvanising procedure???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 05:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
New galvanising procedure???

Good morning everyone,
I have been told by someone that in mid 2005 Daimler Chrysler stopped producing E-class for a short period whilst tyhey changed the bodywork procedures.

All panels are now allegedly galvanised????? Has anyone on this excellent forum heard similar rumours? I do intend writing to Mercedes-Benz, but thought this might be a quicker option. The alleged reason for this procedure is to irradicate that evil liottle rust bug that has found its way into the 210.

I have no opinion on this rumour and am certainly NOT suggesting this as factual.

I would however appreciate any input.

Regards,
John
An overcast morning in Torquay
Old 01-10-2006, 11:25 AM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
I don't know if "galvanise" has the same meaning in the US and the UK. In the US, "galvanize" (with a "z", of course) refers to coating steel with zinc to prevent rust. I haven't heard of Mercedes using that treatment, which is not to say that they don't. I saw a Mercedes ad on television last weekend that showed, among other ways of emphasizing quality, an entire body structure being dipped in a vat of what was presumably rustproofing primer. Maybe there was zinc in the primer. The dip has been a common practice in the auto business for a while, though, and hardly unique to Mercedes.

A clear, bitterly cold morning in Sacramento, only a few degrees above freezing.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by DWP
I don't know if "galvanise" has the same meaning in the US and the UK. In the US, "galvanize" (with a "z", of course) refers to coating steel with zinc to prevent rust.
Unfortunately I have no knowledge of how. I was of the opinion that there are a number of aluminium (I always smile when Americans say that word ) aluminium panels on the 211? Before I say anything though I thought I would ask.

Regards,
John

A cool evening in Torquay
Old 01-10-2006, 12:47 PM
ON PROBATION

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought that they dipped all MBZ's? I know for a fact that they do with the G's as I've seen it for myself. Alot of other european manufacturers use aluminum for body panels...I didn't think that MBZ did that for strength purposes (and also part of the reason why the SOB's are so heavy?)....
I hope somebody who knows more chimes in, as I would like to know more on this question.....
Old 01-10-2006, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
Just went out with a magnet and found it would not stick to the hood, front fenders or the trunk lid on my 2003 E320, USA model. So I assume they are made of aluminum. (I will leave it to the more knowledgeable to translate everything to UK English.)

Of course, I think most everyone knows that most of the E class engine blocks and most wheels are aluminum.

I do know that my 1966 230SL, has an aluminum hood, trunk lid and doors.