E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Retrofit of MB Badge on Grill

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 05:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
Retrofit of MB Badge on Grill

Somewhere along the line, MB dropped the badge on the grill. I feel the car looks incomplete without it. It was on most of the older cars, including E, 300, S Class, etc. Obviously, MB got some heat for it, because the badge returns in the 07 S class, curved slightly and embedded in the grill. The new spy pics of the E Class facelift also shows a similar badge embedded in the grill. Here is my solution for right now. When the new grill for the E becomes available, and if it fits, it might be a nice retrofit.

1. Order the following: 201-880-00-88 Emblem $10.93
304032-005005 Nut 1.51 ( could be shop stock)
009021-005205 Washer 1.13

2. Make a template of the badge. I used a manila folder and put a small hole in the middle, inserted the badge with it's screw and then cut around the edge. It doesn't have to be perfect, but you do need to be careful with centering the hole.

3. Open the hood and remove the grill. This requires removing only 6 small 8mm screws and takes about 30 seconds. The hood release mechanism stays on the hood blanket.

4. Lay the grill down on a towel and carefully mark the center of the drill point. You want the badge to fit just past the ridge on the grill.

5. The badge has a small plastic tit on the bottom, that must be removed. I used a grinding wheel. Took about 5 seconds.

6. With your drill hole carefully marked,( sharpie,etc) drill a pilot hole with a small drill bit completely through the grill and black plastic backing. After that, use a 13/64 drill bit and drill the hole.

7. You will need to snip a little of the black plastic ridges on the back of the grill to allow space for the washer and nut.

8. Center the emblem, and put the nut and washer on. I used a small socket and applied light finger pressure to tighten. If you put a wrench on it, you will probably break the plastic screw body.

9. Reinstall the grill.

The whole project took well under 1 hour

Feedback?
Attached Thumbnails Retrofit of MB Badge on Grill-p4090517-small-.jpg  
Old 02-08-2006, 11:28 AM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Based on the spy pictures I've seen so far, the badge in the grille is about all it will take to make an '03-'06 E-Class an '07, visually speaking.

I've got a flat hood badge instead of the standup Tristar and to me, two small flat emblems near each other are redundant. The grille badge looks OK with the standup Tristar, though, and is, as you point out, very Old Skool Mercedes.

The bigger grilles and emblems on the grille are probably a conscious effort on the part of DCX to refurbish the Mercedes brand's image by reminding people of its history, and thus its historical prestige and reputation for quality. That sure was the approach taken by the two-page ad for the new S-Class in yesterday's WSJ.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:33 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,441 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
I like it, nice touch.