Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
AMG vs. NON-AMG

Hi folks,
I'm thinking of placing my order for the next ride and wanted to ask about AMG vs. NON-AMG cars.

I know the components are different like brakes and body kit and kompressor and some of the interior parts. But what I really want to know is, is the car any different than a stock car that's been modified by AMG? Are the AMG cars specially made for AMG or are they stock versions of the car which is then sent to AMG for overhaul?
Do they typically have the same set of issues the normal stock car would have? I know many of you have had problems with stereo, battery, airmatic, brakes and so on. Do you think the AMG cars had the same issue?

The more I think about it the more its seems like AMG is a great value and if they actually do use different cars then I am sold.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:30 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
That's probably a question for the E55 forum. Keep in mind, though, that AMG is a part of M-B, not an aftermarket tuner shop. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I would expect that all W211s go down the same assembly line to some point at which the non-AMGs continue to completion and the AMGs get diverted to wherever it is they have the AMG-specific engines and other parts installed. Or maybe they all go down the same line to the end - that's technically possible. So, I guess the answer to your question is "it depends" - whether the part or system in question is shared with all W211s or is unique to an AMG. Also, some of the problem areas that you identified ("stereo, battery, airmatic, brakes") were problems in early-model W211s and have been pretty well sorted out by now.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:34 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by trezaei
Hi folks,
I'm thinking of placing my order for the next ride and wanted to ask about AMG vs. NON-AMG cars.

I know the components are different like brakes and body kit and kompressor and some of the interior parts. But what I really want to know is, is the car any different than a stock car that's been modified by AMG? Are the AMG cars specially made for AMG or are they stock versions of the car which is then sent to AMG for overhaul?
Do they typically have the same set of issues the normal stock car would have? I know many of you have had problems with stereo, battery, airmatic, brakes and so on. Do you think the AMG cars had the same issue?

The more I think about it the more its seems like AMG is a great value and if they actually do use different cars then I am sold.
Go test drive an AMG and you'll see what the fuss is all about! It's not only the looks but performance between AMG and NON-AMG is night and day! AMG = DO IT!
Old 02-20-2006, 07:56 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sort of OT, but do any M-B dealerships ever have E55 AMGs in stock, or are they a special-order item? It's kind of hard to test-drive a car if the dealer doesn't have one. I realize that Sacramento isn't LA or even the Bay Area, but when I shopped for my E500, the two local M-B dealerships had a total of four between them. An E55 AMG? Fugettabuttit!

One of our local BMW dealers does have a new M5 in stock. It's sitting in the showroom with a $20,000 dealer-markup sticker. I somehow doubt that they are giving many test drives in it.

http://bmw.niello.com/cgi/details/2006011621220622
Old 02-20-2006, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by DWP
Sort of OT, but do any M-B dealerships ever have E55 AMGs in stock, or are they a special-order item? It's kind of hard to test-drive a car if the dealer doesn't have one. I realize that Sacramento isn't LA or even the Bay Area, but when I shopped for my E500, the two local M-B dealerships had a total of four between them. An E55 AMG? Fugettabuttit!

One of our local BMW dealers does have a new M5 in stock. It's sitting in the showroom with a $20,000 dealer-markup sticker. I somehow doubt that they are giving many test drives in it.

http://bmw.niello.com/cgi/details/2006011621220622

depends where you are. The dealership near here has 2 SLRS, maybachs, several SL65s, S65s and DOZENS of 55s
Old 02-20-2006, 09:01 PM

Components are very much the same throughout but the engine is the biggest difference. At the factory it is actually built by one guy who brings the engine through the entire process. At the end he puts an autographed plate on the engine. All of the other engines are assembly line manufactured...

AMG's are more expensive to fix and will probably face most of the same problems however it may be worth it if you love power, prestige and plan on keeping the car for a while.

I am not a power junky and find a loaded E320 (appearance, premium, rear seat package, AMG rims, spoiler) to be more than enough. I have plenty of power for my needs and enjoy all of the luxury, comfort and overall appearance. When I need a little speed kick I fire up the porsche
Old 02-20-2006, 09:29 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by martin2k1
depends where you are. The dealership near here has 2 SLRS, maybachs, several SL65s, S65s and DOZENS of 55s
Where's "here"?
Old 02-20-2006, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by DWP
Where's "here"?

MB of Naperville in Illinois
Old 02-21-2006, 03:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
I live about 3 miles from Fletcher Jones in Newport beach CA and they have hundreds of AMG cars on the lot. I could test drive a different one every day of the week and two on Sunday and they'd never run out. The place is amazing, if it wasn't for their pushy/snobby salesmen I would take my business there but I think I'll be buying at Laguna Niguel and getting service at FJ
I'm not really into ordering cars, I think when I'm ready I'll walk in and buy it since there are sooooo many on the lot at both dealerships, I'm more of an impulse buyer and have never been able to wait more that 5 or 6 hours for anything. That's how I bought my E, I drove in in my C, two hours later I drove out in the E. I'm thinking of an S AMG for next round, I have a while yet, so we'll see how the business treats me this year
Old 02-21-2006, 10:22 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by luxury1
Components are very much the same throughout but the engine is the biggest difference. At the factory it is actually built by one guy who brings the engine through the entire process. At the end he puts an autographed plate on the engine. All of the other engines are assembly line manufactured...

AMG's are more expensive to fix and will probably face most of the same problems however it may be worth it if you love power, prestige and plan on keeping the car for a while.

I am not a power junky and find a loaded E320 (appearance, premium, rear seat package, AMG rims, spoiler) to be more than enough. I have plenty of power for my needs and enjoy all of the luxury, comfort and overall appearance. When I need a little speed kick I fire up the porsche

I won't start a flame war, but you are off. Leave it at that. Drive one and then talk. There is even a HUGE difference between the E320 and E500!

The AMGs share many of the same components, but are actually LESS prone to "bugs", since the technology is not slapped on for marketing reasons. Case in point, my '05 E55 still does not have the new 7 speed, yet all the new Es have it. So, do you think I have the harsh shift problems on it? Hehe. If you are even considering an AMG, drive it. The feel is soooo different. I LOVE MINE. Don't get me wrong, P-cars are nice, but please don't compare a $90K E55 to a $35K Boxster. We go back and forth on the merits of a 997S, much less the baby rides.
Another thing, these days most dealers have an E55 on hand. Look around or take a trip to a city that does. It is worth the test drive if you are unsure.