E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Fan Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320, looking to buy a Black 03 ML500
Fan Noise

OK, I reviewed the older posts on this subject, and I understand that the W211 does have a very noisy fan but.

My fan sounds like a revving engine even when the engine is cold after the first start of the day. I took the car to both dealers in the city today and they both said that was normal. Is this so even for the cold engine?

Will
Old 03-01-2006, 07:08 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Doesn't sound normal to me. The only time I get the super-loud fan on startup is in the summer, in high air temperatures, with the A/C running. Unless you live in Oz, I wouldn't expect you to get the loud fan this time of year. Does the fan speed drop (get quiet) after a minute or two? If it doesn't, then something is clearly not right.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:01 PM

2003 E500 Sport, 2004 E500 Wagon
Make sure your system (both sides) are actually on auto. I've noticed, and I may be imagining this, I can have the red auto light on my buttons but the display does not show auto. Tonight I was thinking the same thing, the fan seems loud and not changing speed at all so out of curiosity I reached over and pressed the passenger "auto" button (the red led was on already) and the fan dropped two levels. Almost like they need to have "semi-auto", "auto", and "really-auto".

Another tip to save you a funny look from the dealer...if you hear a whistling check your vent diverters. I had my car in for service and complained that a whistling would start at various fan speeds...turns out one my passengers partially closed his/her vent and it was in just the right position to whistle at certain fan speeds!
Old 03-01-2006, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by Benz-E-r
Make sure your system (both sides) are actually on auto. I've noticed, and I may be imagining this, I can have the red auto light on my buttons but the display does not show auto. Tonight I was thinking the same thing, the fan seems loud and not changing speed at all so out of curiosity I reached over and pressed the passenger "auto" button (the red led was on already) and the fan dropped two levels. Almost like they need to have "semi-auto", "auto", and "really-auto".

Another tip to save you a funny look from the dealer...if you hear a whistling check your vent diverters. I had my car in for service and complained that a whistling would start at various fan speeds...turns out one my passengers partially closed his/her vent and it was in just the right position to whistle at certain fan speeds!
Believe he is asking about the engine cooling fan not the HVAC fan. Yes they can be noisy but usually its in hot weather with the A/C on. Try turning the A/C compressor off thus the A/C is off and the fan shiuld not be heard in cool weather.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by j3cubcapt
My fan sounds like a revving engine even when the engine is cold after the first start of the day. I took the car to both dealers in the city today and they both said that was normal. Is this so even for the cold engine? Will
As mentioned the fan is normally very loud in hot weather with the AC running. Did the fan react as you mention in front of the SA at both dealers? Did either have a technician inspect it?

When I had the 03 e320 and complained of an abnormally loud fan they replaced the entire fan assembly (under warranty) without question and although not as quiet as I would have liked the new fan was, in fact, quieter than the original. I would request a new fan assembly. If they refuse ask that your regional MBUSA Service & Parts Operation Manager (SPOM) get involved.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:56 PM

Yes the SA at both dealers said that it was normal, but I don't think they understand that it is doing this in the am when the engine is cool.

I just bought this E320, but I drove another E320 home for the weekend for almost 150 miles and it did not make this much noise.

I have heard the fan on the current car change speeds, but you can really hear it from the inside of the car, even over the radio.

Thanks for all of the great info!

Will
Old 03-02-2006, 07:53 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
I drove another E320 home for the weekend for almost 150 miles and it did not make this much noise.
There's your answer.

Ask the dealer to startup some similar vehicles that have been sitting in their lots (cold) and make sure that they do not make the same noise.

If they (I emphasize the plural, they) do, it's normal, if they don't.. well then..

GL.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:47 AM

Well, I setup an appointment for Monday am. I will do that and keep you all informed!

Will
Old 03-07-2006, 11:13 PM

Well today I called the dealer to find out what was going on with my car. The SA stated that the car was in need of a new "Brain" for the engine. I think he called it a "ME"

It has to be ordered from Germany, so I'm stuck in the C230 Loaner car for about 12 days.

Can anyone tell me what a ME is? I plan to go by there in the am and get a more detailed explaination and ask why a car just inspected for CPO needs such a part.

Thanks for any help.

Will
Old 03-07-2006, 11:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Can anyone tell me what a ME is? I plan to go by there in the am and get a more detailed explaination and ask why a car just inspected for CPO needs such a part.
Thanks for any help. Will
ME = Motor Electronics, sounds like they’re replacing your Engine Control Module (ECU).
Old 03-08-2006, 12:02 AM

Thanks konigstiger, well that was pretty simple...ECU makes sense to me.

Why in the world would they not have one of these in the states? Really Germany has all of these?

Will
Old 03-08-2006, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2

Why in the world would they not have one of these in the states? Really Germany has all of these?

Will
That seems unusual to me as so far as showing up after inspection. But, look at it this way, Before I retired and was flying I found the most number of write ups I experienced came right after the aircraft came out of a major inspection like a C or D check. Seems like the 757/767 were the worst offenders. Perhaps they missed the fault or, it could have developed after the check??? In any case they are taking care of it so its really no problem.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
One thing I've found is that with the AC on and the OAT above a certain temp (maybe 80 degrees F) there is a supplemental electric fan that kicks and can be quite loud. It's nice in the CDI in that it really drowns out the diesel knocking sound that is ever so slightly present from the front grill.. but I never really thought of it as VERY loud.

sosh, didn't know you were a flyer..

we should start an MBworld flyers club..

we could get Jimbo1mcm, rjm (our lexus troll), MDCLS, yourself and myself to start! And I recall running into a few more...

Last edited by CE750; 03-08-2006 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550

Spare fuel filter for our E320CDI had to come from Germany.

MBUSA still doesn't have luggage net for trunk floor for pass-through models.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:31 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
This is O/T, but is there a pattern here?

- j3cubcapt's car needs an ECU; it has to come from Germany ...
- lkchris's car needs a spare fuel filter; it has to come from Germany ...
- our car needs a rear wheel-speed sensor; it has to come from Germany ...

In theory, it would take only a few more hours to ship a part from Germany to California than from New Jersey to California. In reality, according to our dealer, our part was delayed in customs for several days. Parts going from one state to another don't have to go through customs. Maybe DCX got the brilliant idea to consolidate their worldwide Benz parts inventory in Germany. I can see that for obscure parts for old models, but common parts for current models too?
Old 03-08-2006, 12:35 PM

Well, ParkPlace Dallas gave my car back to me today. They are awaiting the ME to come from Germany. They state that driving the car with the Fan Noise will cause no problems. Drive it until the part comes in.

I did have AM reception problems, but they flashed some new software into the radio and fixed that.

Flyers: I fly too! small GA and Large Commercial.

I will keep you informed on the ME replacement.

Will
Old 03-08-2006, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
It has to be ordered from Germany, so I'm stuck in the C230 Loaner car for about 12 days.
I am amazed that Mercedes-BenzUS carries such a limited stock of spares. 12 days sounds like it is coming over by tramp steamer.

The R-class is built in the US, I wonder if spare parts will only be held in America???

John
Old 03-08-2006, 03:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by DWP
This is O/T, but is there a pattern here?
- j3cubcapt's car needs an ECU; it has to come from Germany ...
- lkchris's car needs a spare fuel filter; it has to come from Germany ...
- our car needs a rear wheel-speed sensor; it has to come from Germany ...
So much for the new RMPDC NOV03...

"Over the next eighteen months, Mercedes-Benz USA will launch the largest U.S. product offensive in its history," said Paul Halata, president and CEO, MBUSA. "Our number one priority is to prepare for the future. The more cars we sell, the more we need parts and service support to ensure that our customers enjoy the finest ownership experience. Refining our parts and service business through the new Regional Master PDC has been a critical part of making this happen."

"Getting the right parts in the right place at the right time is crucial in servicing our customers with the high standards we set for ourselves," said Klaus Ulkann, vice president, customer services for MBUSA. "This new facility is an instrumental factor in our overall commitment to supporting our dealers' abilities to service our customers from routine maintenance to more complicated repairs."

http://gsp-logistics.daimlerchrysler...-0-0-0,00.html
Old 03-09-2006, 09:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
Its a small world...