E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Opinions on higher mileage purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2006 | 07:59 PM

2010 E63
Opinions on higher mileage purchase

Any help would be appreciated. I was looking at 2 03 E320s today. Both same color with black interior. 1 has AMG 18" wheels, Keyless Go, Pano Roof, single CD and premium sound. Down side is that is has 60,000 miles.

The second one has only 33,000 miles, same colors but no Pano, no Keyless Go, 6 CD changer, 16" stock wheels.

Priced within a few thousand dollars of each other.

I really want the Pano and Keyless Go. Each car drives fine but I am concerned with the amount of miles on the first car.
My previous 99 E430 had 72,000 on it and I bought it with 36 3+ years ago and have had very few issues with it.

After adding extended warranty the prices will be about the same.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
SK
Old 03-11-2006 | 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Have you seen the maintenance records and a CarFax on the two? Otherwise, do you know their history?

I know which one I'd buy all else being equal and that is the one with lower mileage.
Old 03-11-2006 | 09:38 PM

2010 E63
I have a Carfax account. Both look good. 2 owner cars. I an thinking about having them look for an E500 instead. On the fence at this point. I like the standatd features on the 500 over the 320.
Old 03-12-2006 | 05:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
In this modern age mileage is really a personal issue. If both cars have been well maintained and of course this also applies to the paintwork then they will last for a very long time indeed.

If you go back through these threads you will see that the 211 is sometimes used as a taxi, here in Torquay there is an Teallite blue Avantgarde 320CDI saloon. Some of our Police Forces also have them usually estate's. These cars are not purchased because they are unreliable, or there are problems with SBC. They are purchased because they are rock solid, reliable and have good buy back values even with mileages in excess of 300,000 miles!!!!! Would I buy one at that mileage???? Not on your life.

If you look back to 2004, this forum was full of customers pointing out electronic problems, our car was certainly no exception, but....... everything was sorted and the vehicle, touch wood has been one of the most reliable we have owned.

Extremely low mileage vehicles tend to sell at above the book price, but it is these that will tend to be less reliable until they get some miles under their bonnet.

If you buy the car that you are not really happy with, then in the medium term you will loose out financially, simply because you will sell it, take the devaluation hit and buy another vehicle. Always buy the car that rings the right bells. If you are put off by high mileage, then that is a personal thing that might rule out this car?

John
A wet morning in Torquay
Old 03-12-2006 | 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by SKBENZ
I have a Carfax account. Both look good. 2 owner cars. I an thinking about having them look for an E500 instead. On the fence at this point. I like the standard features on the 500 over the 320.
I assume neither car was ever an ex-lease car or owned by a business. I assume neither car was ever bought at auction by a dealer.

Are you sure you want a car that's had two owners? It isn't about mileage, it's about abuse. People who lease couldn't care less about the car because they know they will be dumping it at the end of the lease. Program cars or cars owned by businesses are driven by everybody and their brother.

Good used cars seldom get to a dealer's lot, they are kept for preferred customers. Either buy a car from a local owner or tell dealer used car managers to get you a good car.

Just my personal opinion of course but I've seen a ton of CarFax on cars sold by dealers and I can't remember one that I'd buy.
Old 03-12-2006 | 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by BudC
Good used cars seldom get to a dealer's lot, they are kept for preferred customers. Either buy a car from a local owner or tell dealer used car managers to get you a good car.

Just my personal opinion of course but I've seen a ton of CarFax on cars sold by dealers and I can't remember one that I'd buy.
Following on from your very valid points, another type of vehicle to steer clear of is the AMG ex demonstrator.

Over here dealers hold a few models of each derivative for prospective customers to try out before they buy. We were indeed loaned an ML for a week, and the E-class 320CDI for a further week. The problem arises with perspective AMG owners. These vehicles are driven by the types we read about on this and other forums. They drive the thing to its limits, rev limiter cutting in, ABS warning lights flashing, loose stone chippings rattling against bodywork Then the car gets returned, ready for the next 'dreamer' to thrash it. After 3 - 4000 miles these cars are then put out on the forecourt and sold.

Well maintained, well looked after is far more important to me than mileage. Higher performance vehicles also tend to change hands quicker than the family type vehicle simply because the 'average' buyer quickly gets bored and moves on. (sorry if it appears to put different folks into different boxes) but in three years they could have had two or three owners, but each owner could have maintained the car to the highest standard. We must simply go in to any transaction with our eyes wide open, and the deaf ear facing any salesperson They will say anything to get a sale.

Good luck
John
Old 03-13-2006 | 04:18 PM

2003 E500, 2004 G35X
I suggest that you try to get one with the extended warranty, especially the 03 model is the first year. Otherwise, be prepare to spend some real money at the dealer's.
Old 03-13-2006 | 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
These cars are REALLY expensive to repair if not under warranty, and the '03s had more than their fair share of shall we say quirks & "growing pains"...