E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Bought a Prius...Thinking of having it replace the Benz completely.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 02:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211 & w124
Bought a Prius...Thinking of having it replace the Benz completely.

Okay, before you start thinking I truly lost my mind, hear me out... This thing has a ton of technical goodies. It comes with built-in bluetooth, gps navigation, fully digital climate control, smart-key system, total control of these features via the steering wheel (and I mean TOTAL control), rear back-up camera, as well as other nice things like HID lights and LED brakelights (that only come in a $4000 option on the Benz). I can also flip through my presets via the steering wheel! :p

Now, for the reality... I know, the thing is simply hideous. I almost cringe when I look at it and this morning on my first drive in to work I almost felt a slight depression setting in. But then I start tinkering with all the cool toys in it and that frown turned upside down! Not to mention the actual reason I bought, being able to drive in the carpool lane. That alone makes it all worth it. And, after calculating my monthly gas costs, I will save about $120/mo. with its 61mpg/highway!

The other downfall is the comfort. Toyota spent all there effort into making a technologically advanced car and spent zero effort on driver/passenger comfort. I feel like I'm sitting on a box! I am seriously going to look into getting some E-class seats from a junk yard and having them retrofitted into this thing. I seriously don't know how anyone could feel comfortable in these seats.

So now I'm thinking, should I get rid of the Benz completely or just let the wifey drive it during the week and still have it for weekends and stuff? I mean, once I get used to the ergonomics (or the lack thereof) I might get spoiled with all the other "goodies" and not want to drive around the in the Benz again. Just a thought...

(Oh, and it is supposedly good for the environment...)
Old 03-27-2006, 02:21 PM

'14 E350 wagon; BMW G12 (2020) G01 (2019)
Originally Posted by Samoan_Ridah
Okay, before you start thinking I truly lost my mind, hear me out... This thing has a ton of technical goodies. It comes with built-in bluetooth, gps navigation, fully digital climate control, smart-key system, total control of these features via the steering wheel (and I mean TOTAL control), rear back-up camera, as well as other nice things like HID lights and LED brakelights (that only come in a $4000 option on the Benz). I can also flip through my presets via the steering wheel! :p

Now, for the reality... I know, the thing is simply hideous. I almost cringe when I look at it and this morning on my first drive in to work I almost felt a slight depression setting in. But then I start tinkering with all the cool toys in it and that frown turned upside down! Not to mention the actual reason I bought, being able to drive in the carpool lane. That alone makes it all worth it. And, after calculating my monthly gas costs, I will save about $120/mo. with its 61mpg/highway!

The other downfall is the comfort. Toyota spent all there effort into making a technologically advanced car and spent zero effort on driver/passenger comfort. I feel like I'm sitting on a box! I am seriously going to look into getting some E-class seats from a junk yard and having them retrofitted into this thing. I seriously don't know how anyone could feel comfortable in these seats.

So now I'm thinking, should I get rid of the Benz completely or just let the wifey drive it during the week and still have it for weekends and stuff? I mean, once I get used to the ergonomics (or the lack thereof) I might get spoiled with all the other "goodies" and not want to drive around the in the Benz again. Just a thought...

(Oh, and it is supposedly good for the environment...)
You have bought a banana. It is not an apple. How can you compare them other from a strict functionality standpoint (getting from place A to place B)? I could buy a Chevy and it would get me from point A to point B at far less cost than my MB. I chose not to do that, for reasons of creature comfort, ergonomics, safety, and yes, prestige. I'll bet that the first really long ride, or an especially twisty backroad in the Prius will cause regrets if you get rid of the MB, but ultimately what I think is or anybody else on this forum thinks is completely irrelevant to your decision. Of course, if you keep the MB, you can continue to write posts that tell us how the Prius is doing in head-to-head competition, and some people will find them interesting. I won't, but good luck whatever you decide to do.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 185 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
If you're interested in technology or economy or something like that, get an E320CDI.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its big and Grey!
Originally Posted by lkchris
If you're interested in technology or economy or something like that, get an E320CDI.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:54 PM
Almost a Member!

I doubt you will get even close to 61 mpg on the highway - maybe city. More likely to get 51 mpg on the highway. Either way, very good numbers!

You are now officially a "tree hugger"

Good luck!
Old 03-27-2006, 03:34 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
I personally think the Prius is cool. It has a cachet of it's own, really.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:50 PM

OLD: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, NEW: 2007 SLK350
Yes, it will get you into HOV, but check with your local laws when your "hybrid exemption" will expire.

In Washington DC, it is supposed to expire this year (but has been renewed more than once in the past)

If you can afford both cars, I would say keep both. You know the answer to this already. You don't really want to get rid of the Benz.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
My realtor and manager of my properties just ordered one. I personally tried to convince him to buy a loaded Golf or Jetta TDI that will get about the same MPGs and not have the added maintenance cost that a hybrid will when the battery module needs to be replaced. I know this is not supposed to be changed for a long time, but he keeps his car for a long time and this cost would erase all his fuel savings.

As per the car, the only thing that caught my attention is that the engine races to 5k RPMs when it starts. Also, the MPGs drop drastically in our cold climate in order to heat the car. I will have more personal opinions when I get to drive it up in the mountains, but I am a DIESEL person.

In the end, buying a hybrid is not really to save money, it is to save on emissions and to prove to the car manufacturers that the US consumer is interested in more efficient cars. Good for you though, I think that you are making a statement!

Steve
Old 03-27-2006, 04:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
17 E220D, 11 E350 CDI(sold), 06 CLS320 CDI (sold), 05 Cadillac DeVille (gone), 04 E320 CDI (sold)
I must admit I was surprised at how many Priuii (?) I saw when I was in San Francisco (or maybe not, thinking about it).

Here in Atlanta, I think I have seen one and it had out of state plates!
Old 03-27-2006, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

did you compare the new hybrid civic to the prius? what did you think?
Old 03-27-2006, 05:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
Thanks guys. You are right, deep down I don't want to get rid of the Benz. I almost teared up this morning staring at it sitting in the garage...

As for the HOV laws, here in California the stickers expire in '08 as of right now.

I did compare it to the Honda and although, to me, the Honda at least had better looks, the Prius had a lot more going for it. The better mileage for one, a bigger credit from the IRS ($3200 vs. $2100), more fun stuff (like Bluetooth) and few other things. Test driving the two back to back, the Prius seems to have a lot better pick-up and seems to be a lot smoother when changing gears (way smoother than the Benz).

Oh and as for the tree-hugger comment, being a member of PETA* and a vegan of many years, I guess this car does really send that message across. But truthfully, I don't really like animals (they stink) and I don't really care or think about the environment any more than the next guy. I guess it's just coincidence that I've made decisions in my life that seem to lean in that direction.

*Membership was only to get the monthly vegetarian recipe mailer.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:21 PM

Tesla
If you thought the Prius had loads of electronics goodies, you haven't been looking much into the other Japanese cars. Even our Toyota Sienna VAN has all of the features you listed, plus DVD system with touch screen control and full blown surround sound. That backup camera is a blessing for a large vehicle. I can't believe a $50K R class can't even incorporate one to save the soccer mom from running over kids.

But to me the W211 just handles and rides differently. Like somebody said above, you can't compare apple vs oranges.

Keep your Benz. You are going to regret selling it eventually. But I do have to tell you I prefer taking the family out in the van simply because the navigation system is much easier to use and more accurate, plus of course there are more room.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
Originally Posted by steph280
If you thought the Prius had loads of electronics goodies, you haven't been looking much into the other Japanese cars. Even our Toyota Sienna VAN has all of the features you listed, plus DVD system with touch screen control and full blown surround sound. That backup camera is a blessing for a large vehicle. I can't believe a $50K R class can't even incorporate one to save the soccer mom from running over kids.

But to me the W211 just handles and rides differently. Like somebody said above, you can't compare apple vs oranges.

Keep your Benz. You are going to regret selling it eventually. But I do have to tell you I prefer taking the family out in the van simply because the navigation system is much easier to use and more accurate, plus of course there are more room.
I agree with you 100%. You are right about the Japs having way more technical goodies than the Germans but it just really hit me now that I actually got my hands on some of them.

In no way was I trying to compare the Prius to the w211, I was just merely making a statement that I am considering having it replace it. I know that it doesn't even come close to being in a comparable class so I would never insult my fellow w211 owners by trying to compare it. If my original post came off that way I sincerely apologize.

I am the biggest fan of the w211 and I am one of those that hates when people complain about what should come standard and what not. I realize that driving a Benz comes with a premium and I am and was willing to pay for that. My point originally was just to say that the more I drive this car the less I see a need to keep the Benz.

Realistically, I might trade in the E for an R so that at least it will serve the purpose of carrying one more person when necessary and not just being a garage queen.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:43 PM

I really don't blame you folks in California for falling in love with the Prius, that HOV lane is worth its weight in Gold! Keep both if you can afford to, you'll just get a much longer life out of both of them since your splitting miles.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
Originally Posted by slk55lvr
I really don't blame you folks in California for falling in love with the Prius, that HOV lane is worth its weight in Gold! Keep both if you can afford to, you'll just get a much longer life out of both of them since your splitting miles.
You speak the truth my friend. When I was done with the "haggling" stage at the Toyota dealership I told the sales manager that I would have been willing to pay upwards of $1000/mo. to drive this thing in the HOV lane if that's what it costed. Of course he wasn't amused since I wouldn't budge at anything over $600/mo during negotiations.

Did I mention these things aren't cheap? It is truly highway robbery what these dealerships can get away with charging for these things. Imagine paying a 25% markup on a Benz...
Old 03-27-2006, 07:47 PM

'05 E320, '07 MDX
PLEASE don't tell us you're gonna vote for Feinstein/Boxer/Clinton(?) in the next elections....
Old 03-27-2006, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 C230 K
Originally Posted by Samoan_Ridah
You speak the truth my friend. When I was done with the "haggling" stage at the Toyota dealership I told the sales manager that I would have been willing to pay upwards of $1000/mo. to drive this thing in the HOV lane if that's what it costed. Of course he wasn't amused since I wouldn't budge at anything over $600/mo during negotiations.

Did I mention these things aren't cheap? It is truly highway robbery what these dealerships can get away with charging for these things. Imagine paying a 25% markup on a Benz...

really for a toyota????

isn't that the car the guy drove in the DAY AFTER TOMORROW, or is that the honda insight?
Old 03-27-2006, 08:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
Originally Posted by dacbiet
PLEASE don't tell us you're gonna vote for Feinstein/Boxer/Clinton(?) in the next elections....
I highly doubt it. Thanks mostly to this board, I have discovered in the last several years that I am a born Republican!
Old 03-27-2006, 08:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
Originally Posted by Evil Duffman
really for a toyota????
That's what I was thinking!

Originally Posted by Evil Duffman
isn't that the car the guy drove in the DAY AFTER TOMORROW, or is that the honda insight?
I never saw the whole movie so I'm not sure.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Samoan...you are one cool cat!!! I was going to bash you but you already have such a cool perspective on life. Enjoy your decision and try to hang out here from time to time even if you do dump the benz!!
Old 03-28-2006, 01:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
Originally Posted by jangy
Samoan...you are one cool cat!!! I was going to bash you but you already have such a cool perspective on life. Enjoy your decision and try to hang out here from time to time even if you do dump the benz!!
Thanks bro. Btw, I love what you got in your stable! The E55 is one of my dream cars and the Commander is what we are looking to get for my wife if an R Class doesn't work out.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:13 PM

2013 GL550
PETA - that's People Eating Tasty Animals, right?

Bruce
Old 03-28-2006, 06:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I want a Prius.
Looks sick in black

Sure beats getting 12mpg.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
Originally Posted by BMcD-E500
PETA - that's People Eating Tasty Animals, right?

Bruce
Lol, sounds about right. Boy I could use me some BBQ ribs right now...lol. Soy riblets that is.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
I want a Prius.
Looks sick in black

Sure beats getting 12mpg.
The darker colors are definitely nicer but I don't think that the word "sick" should be used in the same sentence when describing a Prius unless you're speaking of a feeling it give you.

Honestly, I don't see anything even remotely desirable on the exterior of these cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bought a Prius...Thinking of having it replace the Benz completely.