E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Another feature with implementation issues.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 08:04 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E320 CDI
Unhappy Another feature with implementation issues.

I just discovered that if you attempt to use the VCS to select the single CD it will not work if the loaded CD is an MP3 disc. You can be playing an MP3 disc in the single slot then use the VCS to switch to the radio. When you try to go back to the CD the voice says "there is no disc". The dealer stated that the VCS will only work with "store bought CDs". This was stated like it was the fault of the CD, when in fact it is an oversight in the software development. I suppose the fix for this will be to eliminate support for MP3s next year. Has anyone else discovered this "feature"? I have not had a chance to try an MP3 in the changer to see what VCS will have to say.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by emanon
I just discovered that if you attempt to use the VCS to select the single CD it will not work if the loaded CD is an MP3 disc. You can be playing an MP3 disc in the single slot then use the VCS to switch to the radio. When you try to go back to the CD the voice says "there is no disc". The dealer stated that the VCS will only work with "store bought CDs". This was stated like it was the fault of the CD, when in fact it is an oversight in the software development. I suppose the fix for this will be to eliminate support for MP3s next year. Has anyone else discovered this "feature"? I have not had a chance to try an MP3 in the changer to see what VCS will have to say.
What was the voice command you gave ?
Old 03-28-2006, 09:35 AM
Almost a Member!

05 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by benzmodz
What was the voice command you gave ?
I have tried "CD". This results in the "there is no disc" message. I have also tired "MP3". This results in "please repeat"
Old 03-28-2006, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 S450, 2019 Range Rover LWB, 2015 Range Rover, 2019 S560 Cabriolet (awaiting delivery)
I also noticed this morning on my way to work that other VCS features do not work while playing an MP3 disc in the single slot such as "next track", or "track four", etc.

Getting a bit off topic, but does anyone know if there is way to change the accent of the VCS lady? Some have figured out how to give the nav lady a British accent. Wasn't sure if something similar could be done for the VCS lady.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Yeah, there are no VCS commands to get to, or within satellite either.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:05 PM
Almost a Member!

05 E320 CDI
I called Montvale to see if there were any plans to update the software to support MP3s with the VCS. The first person suggested that I try "CD Player". I gave it a try and it still says "there is no disk". I called back, and the second person connected me with a technician. After going over the fact that the disk can be played via the controls on the head unit, the technician did some investigating. His final answer was it should work. As long as there is a CD in the drive, music CD or MP3, it should play the next track. He then suggested that I contact the dealer and have them get the MB Tech center involved. I talked to the service advisor to tell him about my conversation with Montvale. I will have to make an appointment with the dealer to leave the car with them for a day. (He sounded like he thought he made this go away) I hope that at the end of all of this they don’t come back with the “only store bought CDs” answer again.