E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Can D ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can D ?

In W211 model consist of 3 communication networks and 1 dedicated diagnostic network, which is CAN B, CAN C, D2B and CAN D.
What does to CAN D (Diagnostic databus) operate? I'd not understand about the:-
CAN D voltage
High=2.5v
Low=2.5v

CAN D voltage awake
High= activity to 3.5v
Low= activity to 1.5v

Anyone can explain with this?
Old 04-02-2006, 11:12 AM

E320
CAN Network

wfsiew........

CAN = Controller Area Network (CAN) protocol, allowing for more capability and flexibility to manage the diagnostic process. The CAN protocol is currently being used in a variety of vehicles and will be the mandated protocol in all new vehicles by 2008. I believe merecdes model year vehicles from 2003 to current transition from OBDII to CANS. The CAN platform/ operating speed of the ECU/PCM is (5) to (10) times quicker than the OBDII.

Platinum
Old 04-02-2006, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Can D is a sweet snack.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by platinumblue
wfsiew........

CAN = Controller Area Network (CAN) protocol, allowing for more capability and flexibility to manage the diagnostic process. The CAN protocol is currently being used in a variety of vehicles and will be the mandated protocol in all new vehicles by 2008. I believe merecdes model year vehicles from 2003 to current transition from OBDII to CANS. The CAN platform/ operating speed of the ECU/PCM is (5) to (10) times quicker than the OBDII.

Platinum
ok,, thanks! How does the CAN D acts "High/ Low voltage"?
Old 04-03-2006, 04:05 AM

CAN D- 500kbit/s (diagnosis)
CAN B- 83-125kbit/s (interior)
CAN C- 500kbit/s (engine/chassis)

CAN D is a link between the CGW and the diagnostic link connector. it is used for fault recognition. explanation about data transfer is in terms of data communication (digital frames, data bits, cyclic redundancy check, etc.) which i don't fully understand. the voltages you have been reading is for wake up and sleep mode. sleeping mode is a data bus transfer in the absence of ignition which is used for central locking, alarm recognition, etc.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by donniebhoy
CAN D- 500kbit/s (diagnosis)
CAN B- 83-125kbit/s (interior)
CAN C- 500kbit/s (engine/chassis)

CAN D is a link between the CGW and the diagnostic link connector. it is used for fault recognition. explanation about data transfer is in terms of data communication (digital frames, data bits, cyclic redundancy check, etc.) which i don't fully understand. the voltages you have been reading is for wake up and sleep mode. sleeping mode is a data bus transfer in the absence of ignition which is used for central locking, alarm recognition, etc.
Thanks for your info, i know that CAN D act as a diagnostic purpose but just don't know that how is the high/ low voltages action inside !!

Last edited by wfsiew; 04-03-2006 at 04:16 AM.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
woooaaaa...... There a lot more purposes/benefits to the CAN system and it doesn't neccesarily replace OBDII.

The 221 has a different network system than any previous MB as well.

High/low(two wires) voltages will flip depending on whether the system is asleep or awake, and mainly only used for troubleshooting.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by [MB]CRS
woooaaaa...... There a lot more purposes/benefits to the CAN system and it doesn't neccesarily replace OBDII.

The 221 has a different network system than any previous MB as well.

High/low(two wires) voltages will flip depending on whether the system is asleep or awake, and mainly only used for troubleshooting.
Ok,, i see! thanks for your info. As my knowledge in Merc networking, is it just only CAN B, CAN C, CAN D and D2B was used recently instead of other?
May i know how many type of CANs was used in Merc recently ?