E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E500 Aftermarket Sports Exhaust or NOT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 07:39 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500, SL500
Angry E500 Aftermarket Sports Exhaust or NOT?

If anyone has installed an aftermarket sports exhaust to their W211 E500, would you say YES or NO? I want the sound of the E55 but I keep hearing that changing to a after market muffler or cat-back to the following will increase the sound TOO MUCH, more like a Mustang GT........... NOT!!!!!!!!!!!

- Remus
- Eisenmann
- Borla
- Carlsson
- Lorinser

Please advise and if you know of a muffler that's close to the sound of the E55, then what's the make and model of the one you suggest.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E63
I have the same question. Looking for a more aggressive exhaust note without going too far.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:15 AM

Mercedes,Porsche etc
[quote=bsmoove;1569452]If anyone has installed an aftermarket sports exhaust to their W211 E500, would you say YES or NO? I want the sound of the E55 but I keep hearing that changing to a after market muffler or cat-back to the following will increase the sound TOO MUCH, more like a Mustang GT........... NOT!!!!!!!!!!!

- Remus
- Eisenmann
- Borla
- Carlsson
- Lorinser

Please advise and if you know of a muffler that's close to the sound of the E55, then what's the make and model of the one you suggest.

--

HI

I can tell you after adding like 8 aftermarket exhausts in my time..
including latest to my MERC and PORSCHE,,I chose Remus on both porsche and Merc SL
and heard them in person and in car on a S class and E class as well as a C class all sounds perfect

wanted something that was louder than the stock AMG but not as loud as
the renntech, or eisenmann's which both can be very loud

what you want is the AMG sport sound, but maybe a tad louder, maybe 10-20% only..
the E class and S class AMG's are alot quieter than say the C class or CLK AMG,s as mercedes wanted them slightly quieter as they
are sedans not sport cars

so you have to take that into account, as when you add an aftermarket
exhaust to a S class or E class even if its an AMG model , like the eisenmann, or carlson,
it will seem ALOT louder than stock, because the stock was more baffled and chambered and had more innards and also larger, than say a stock
CLK or C class or SL even if its AMG..

also remember, sedans have a larger TRUNK and cabin, area, so that can act like more of a sound chamber and you can get drone, sometimes,
where you would not on a open car, or smaller car like the SLK or C class

so the sedans, AMG or not, from mercedes like E and S class are about 20% quieter than the C class or CLK or SL.. so you have to take that into account
that and the size of the muffler and distance of the exhaust piping, etc
also matters

the remus, is what you likely want,, as its only about 50% louder than your stock, perfect for a sedan or SL and its not ghetto, or rumbly like a mustang,, its a deep melodic sound that moves to a medium pitch sound at higher revs..and starts to purr more than roar

they build many OEM carmakers mufflers, and also do racing teams exhaust, in every catagory all over the world, from Grouppe B, to DTM,
to RALLY from Paris to DAKAR and BAJA 1000, to F1, etc.. and Win !

see here
http://www.remususa.com/epages/remus...ies/VideoRemus

the remus is about 10-15% louder than AMG mufflers which is perfect

you would want the SPORT model , not the race model btw

and they made a model, that you can adjust with a knob that adjust the baffles in the muffler to change the tone and sound,, which is very cool

compare that to---( in order of loudness )

Lorinser- again made by remus, but louder than remus brand ,, about 75% louder than stock non AMG and about 35% louder than AMG
not as loud as carlson or eisenmann but close and alot louder than AMG as its more open and smaller

Eisenmann it nice for sure as well, but is really alot louder than stock about 100%-125% or 2 times louder and about 50% louder than the AMG sound you like - they are better suited for C CLASS or CLK class, or SLK where you want a louder sportier car,, not on a quieter designed sedan..

- Carlsson made by remus, but much louder than the remus brand,,
essentially an open design muffler thats is very small, both increase the loudness alot- at least as loud as the Eisenmann, maybe even 15% louder

- Borla is NOT an option,, the loudest muffler on the street,or track
the Borla sport street version sounds like a racing muffler, and the racing muffler sounds like there is NO MUFFER lol

but would seriously be about 200% louder, or 4 times louder than your stock and does not sound right on a euro car

loudest cars I ever hear when I goto the track, are always BORLA equipped sounds awesome on a american V8 like vette or mustang,

here are some cars and links to the remus sounds if you want to hear them. I can tell you after hearing the remus on ferrari, and porsche, and
Mercs, and audi.. in person they sound amazing very european, like the car in movie RONIN, the supercharged A 8 audi. lol

Ferrari with Remus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eBgL...eature=related

Mercedes E550 211 with remus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rkRekq5cR0

BMW M3 with remus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZBTd...eature=related

BMW M 5 remus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE7Ts...eature=related

Audi A 6 with remus-great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h42DObnBmM

Ducati race motocycle, a 20k racing bike the nicest around..many bike racers choose remus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy6S1...eature=related

Last edited by storm; 02-11-2009 at 02:36 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:50 AM
Banned

na
A new remus rep?
Old 02-11-2009, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
86 190E 2.3-16v, 92 500E, 03 CL55 AMG, 08 E3504M Brabus
Eisenmann exhausts vary in sound, you can choose either street or race applications. I have a race application on CL55k and it sounds good but it really isn't as overbearing as I thought it might have been. Frankly, I think it sounds pretty quiet and race is obviously the louder of the two. Eisenmann also makes exhausts for Brabus which I also have on my V6 E350. It really brought it to life, doesn't sound ricey at all. It isn't too loud at all, actually, it can be driven very quietly, but sounds like a real tuned exhaust when @ WOT. I would check out my options w/ Eisenmann/Brabus before I commit to any exhaust. Also, the youtube videos are helpful, but at the same time they aren't quite as accurate as you might hope. I listened to tons of clips before I purchased my exhausts and found that they sound alot different in person. Eisenmann makes OEM products for Porsche and AMG among others, so surely they know what they are doing. new eisenmann's are expensive though, your best bet might be to troll around the classifieds/ebay and wait for something to pop up. However, you have to take into account the fact eisenmann products are all hand made in Germany and are not off-the-shelf units. I waited about a month and half for my eisenmann race app for my CL55. They also come in very similar tip shapes to those offered on OEM AMG cars. The Brabus exhausts tips are similar to stock BMW M exhuasts. Smaller and more cylindrical (is that a word? haha) Anyway, if just want something w/ a little bit more throat, check out my stock CL55 quad exhaust in the classifieds. It is cut off at the axles so you can custom fab just about anything to fit it to your car. The AMG exhausts from my year are made by Sebring. Good luck with your search!
Old 02-12-2009, 07:29 AM

Mercedes,Porsche etc
Originally Posted by REMUS
A new remus rep?

Lol just a happy customer and car tech, that knows good exhausts when he sees and hears them

when people really understand that so many of these smaller mercedes tuning companies dont make most of the items they sell,
and have OEM's make them,, like remus,, and Shatz, etc,,

not taking your job,, lol,
Old 02-12-2009, 07:44 AM

Mercedes,Porsche etc
Originally Posted by AMGTestDriverNJ
Eisenmann exhausts vary in sound, you can choose either street or race applications. I have a race application on CL55k and it sounds good but it really isn't as overbearing as I thought it might have been. Frankly, I think it sounds pretty quiet and race is obviously the louder of the two. Eisenmann also makes exhausts for Brabus which I also have on my V6 E350. It really brought it to life, doesn't sound ricey at all. It isn't too loud at all, actually, it can be driven very quietly, but sounds like a real tuned exhaust when @ WOT. I would check out my options w/ Eisenmann/Brabus before I commit to any exhaust. Also, the youtube videos are helpful, but at the same time they aren't quite as accurate as you might hope. I listened to tons of clips before I purchased my exhausts and found that they sound alot different in person. Eisenmann makes OEM products for Porsche and AMG among others, so surely they know what they are doing. new eisenmann's are expensive though, your best bet might be to troll around the classifieds/ebay and wait for something to pop up. However, you have to take into account the fact eisenmann products are all hand made in Germany and are not off-the-shelf units. I waited about a month and half for my eisenmann race app for my CL55. They also come in very similar tip shapes to those offered on OEM AMG cars. The Brabus exhausts tips are similar to stock BMW M exhuasts. Smaller and more cylindrical (is that a word? haha) Anyway, if just want something w/ a little bit more throat, check out my stock CL55 quad exhaust in the classifieds. It is cut off at the axles so you can custom fab just about anything to fit it to your car. The AMG exhausts from my year are made by Sebring. Good luck with your search!

well just so you know again REMUS owns SEBRING,, lol..
and as far as their webpage and info I know remus has made exhaust for brabus as well..

I am not saying EISENMANN is not good,, it sounds great.. but I have heard them all in person,, and I can tell from the way the guy asked the question, that he did not want something more than say 50% lounder than stock, and remember his stock car was NON AMG, which means alot quieter than your AMG.. to begin with,,

so your EISENMANN was only say
30% louder than your AMG CL, that is ALOT louder than a a stock E class
he is talking about,, like 80% louder..

also you have one one your E 350,,which is a 6cyl so it would be perfect and not loud because the engine is not that loud to begin with,

the 500 E he is talking about has alot more power and volume than yours
and would be alot louder with the Eisenmann..

now maybe that would be fine for you, and some poeple,, but most people coming froma stock E and S 500 or 550 would think the EIsenmann,
and Carlson, and for sure Renntech and way too loud in the cabin.

I know 2 people who changed them out for that reason.. and since he is going from a NON amg car, the REMUS, or LORINSER would be probably the most sound he would want or need..

the other issue is there are tons of FAKE EISENMANN around,,
expecially on east coast in NY, NJ etc.. and it was a huge issue like 1-2 years ago,, like 90% were fakes.. and the company had to take notice

so buyer beware, but the real eisenmann if you can find them are great exhausts..for people looking for a large and louder sound