E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

IPOD Integration--2003 Replacement E

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500, Sport, Nav, Pano, HK
Smile IPOD Integration--2003 Replacement E

I have a replacement E500 delivered in August, 2003 with dvd NAV. I would like to install the IPOD integration unit, if possible. Other posts on this site have not addressed this particular issue. I believe the car has the 2004 Comand APS even though it is MY 2003. The dealer seems to think it will work, although I have read that there may be compatibilty issues with the instrument cluster. Does anyone know whether it will or will not work? Thanks so much.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:01 PM

Hey it sounds like you have the same set up as my 2003 replacement E320. These vehicles are special in that they contain the DVD in dash drive allowing you to watch movies on the navigation screen as well.

Since this feature only works with the Euro menu option, I would guess you would have to sacrifice this ability to allow for the Ipod integration, same as Satellite radio on US systems.

My advice would be to switch your NAV to Euro allowing it to watch movies when the car is stopped and having your nav hardware updated. I had mine done by MBenzl and it added MP3 functionality to the in-dash slot (DVD+/-R and CDRs).
Old 04-26-2006, 05:24 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by rhodesdad
Other posts on this site have not addressed this particular issue.
other posts on this site HAVE addresses that particular issue...as long as the W211 has a comand headunit, the MB Ipod kit will work - even in the 2002 W211s (or as US peeps like to call those: 2003 E-classes).

greetingz,
Old 04-30-2006, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by MBenzNL
other posts on this site HAVE addresses that particular issue...as long as the W211 has a comand headunit, the MB Ipod kit will work - even in the 2002 W211s (or as US peeps like to call those: 2003 E-classes).

greetingz,
What are the prices for the UHI for a 03 E-class with nav. Also, in one of the pictures http://www.mbenznl.com/products/phones/uhi-w211-07.jpg I noticed it said "searching for Bluetooth devices" though in the above writings it said this function is not supported? Last, can this install be done as a self install. Thank you.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:47 PM

I am pleased to report that the IPOD installation went exactly as planned and works perfectly. Not so with the planned Sirius radio. Even though the Comand has the satellite radio option, the dealer informed me that the late production 2003 car had not been wired for the radio and that significant alterations would be required to install the radio. I chose not to go that route given the projected cost. Thanks to all who responded.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:38 PM

2003 Toyota Echo (Twin Turbo)
I am pleased to report that the IPOD installation went exactly as planned and works perfectly. Not so with the planned Sirius radio. Even though the Comand has the satellite radio option, the dealer informed me that the late production 2003 car had not been wired for the radio and that significant alterations would be required to install the radio. I chose not to go that route given the projected cost. Thanks to all who responded.
How much was the IPOD kit and where did you get it?
Old 05-01-2006, 06:07 PM

The Ipod integration kit is available from your MB dealer. My total cost including install was around $700..The parts are about $300-350. The installation takes out your Aux input in the glove box for good, but the Ipod feed is very very good and you operate the unit through the steering wheel. Songs, etc, show in the instrument cluster..Ipod hookup also recharges the Ipod which resides in your glove box. Much much preferable to FM modulation. Really makes the CD player or changer irrelevant IMHO. Good luck.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
The Ipod integration kit is available from your MB dealer. My total cost including install was around $700..The parts are about $300-350. The installation takes out your Aux input in the glove box for good, but the Ipod feed is very very good and you operate the unit through the steering wheel. Songs, etc, show in the instrument cluster..Ipod hookup also recharges the Ipod which resides in your glove box. Much much preferable to FM modulation. Really makes the CD player or changer irrelevant IMHO. Good luck.
Do you loose the in dash CD changer when you do this? I hope not. I wouldn't mind loosing the AUX jack but not the in dash CD changer! Also can you use the car's interface to browse by song, album, artist, genre, or play-list, etc.,? I have nearly 6,000 songs so the UI interface is key. It would be a nice bonus if I could also select songs from the IPOD interface as well.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:35 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
the dealer informed me that the late production 2003 car had not been wired for the radio and that significant alterations would be required to install the radio.
that is extreme BS! wether a car is prewired for sat radio or not - it is easy to add sat radio either way...the non prewired cars require 1 more hour or so to actually add the wiring harness.

greetingz,
Old 06-11-2006, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
Do you loose the in dash CD changer when you do this? I hope not. I wouldn't mind loosing the AUX jack but not the in dash CD changer! Also can you use the car's interface to browse by song, album, artist, genre, or play-list, etc.,? I have nearly 6,000 songs so the UI interface is key. It would be a nice bonus if I could also select songs from the IPOD interface as well.
These are good questions. Does anyone know the answers? You don't lose the CD changer as well do you?