E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Stepping up to W211...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stepping up to W211...

Recently, our beloved 2002 E320 has been chock full of gremlins having something break every 3 weeks. After spending 5 trips to the dealer in the last 3 months, we've HAD IT! The decision was made to replace her. We've only had her since July...used, CPO, 33000 miles when we purchased her. Oh well.

We started shopping.

BMW: Great car, drove worse than our diesel truck that sits in our garage, interior felt cheap, looks awesome, too expensive. We struck the 530i from our list immediately. We drove a X5 3.0 that was pathetic. Another story there....

Lexus: We drove the GS300 and it felt too flighty, not heavy enough, although it trumps the E class with features, it has cool features beyond belief! Wifey didn't much care for it, although it was $10K less. We most recently drove the GS430 (comparable price to E350) and it was slick! Very nice car, heavier than the GS300 and full of toys. To be honest, the only reason she didn't pick the GS430 was that she likes the way the E350 feels, you all know, it has that Benz feel...heavy, solid, sturdy, in command!

MB: We drove the E350 and she loved it (just like I knew she would).

We have struck a deal for a 4000 mile triple black 2006 E350, premium package, appearance package, chrome wheels, and hands free system (whatever that is). We are picking up the remaining 20 months of a lease for a smoking price...! It was an employee special deal that saved the employee and now us, a TON of money versus buying or leasing a brand new one.

It should be in our garage in a few weeks as we process the paperwork and finish it up. My wife can't wait.

Old 04-28-2006, 04:11 PM

w211 AMG
Excellent choice.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by PHXATC

BMW: Great car, drove worse than our diesel truck that sits in our garage, interior felt cheap, looks awesome, too expensive. We struck the 530i from our list immediately. We drove a X5 3.0 that was pathetic. Another story there....
hmm.. is this the new redesigned 5 -series your talking "drove worse than our diesel truck" ouch..thats pretty big statement to make for a bimmer...
Old 04-28-2006, 06:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
Congrats!

Beautiful car. Good move. Now fill us all in on your plan to get it away from your wife and use it for yourself!!!
Old 04-28-2006, 06:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,448 Likes on 3,155 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by PHXATC
We have struck a deal for a 4000 mile triple black 2006 E350, premium package, appearance package, chrome wheels, and hands free system (whatever that is). We are picking up the remaining 20 months of a lease for a smoking price...!
Congratulations. She will …I mean you will love it. If somehow an envelope should find its way to you, as an ATC, what can you do for me as it pertains to commercial airline flights – you know, what’s in it for me?
Old 04-28-2006, 07:12 PM

sklasse - Yes, the newly redesigned 5 series BMW, a 530i. This was my opinion and my wife's as well. It was sporty, but almost too edgy to drive comfortably. This is my opinion and what we were looking for. I'm not into the sport and harshness in the feel of a BMW. I like to feel distant from the road when I'm driving to and from work 80 miles roundtrip a day. That's why I drive my Lexus as it detaches you from the road. MB is the perfect compromise betwixt feeling the road and being detached. It just has that feel. That something that is rock solid, that Benz feeling that you get when you drive a Benz, any of them. That's what sold my wife on it as she wanted to keep that feel. I think they've found a perfect compromise. Heck, I even migrated to the E350 over the GS430 (despite the Lexus dealer trying to rob me blind...even after buying 2 Lexus there in the past year...MORONS ). She (and I) love that feeling that you get driving the Benz. I enjoy driving the Benz (both the 02 and the new 06) just as much as my Lexus, don't get me wrong. Big statement to slam the BMW, but this is for my needs, not everybody else. It is an awesome car, just not the right one for us!

jimbo - I'm working on a plan...shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

konig - Uh, front of the line ring a bell?