Rough Idle + Lacquer peeling off alloys

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 04:28 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 CDi
Rough Idle + Lacquer peeling off alloys

At idle (i.e. car not moving), the car feels rough. The rpm is slightly irregular and there are some vibrations. It feels that the engine might shut down, but it never does.

It has been like that for more than 6 months now. It is a bit annoying but not desperately so. It is more pronounced when the car is warmed up and I am guessing that when the engine is cold, the auto choke must be upping the revs??

Now, the car will soon be out of warranty and I have booked it in with the dealer in 3 weeks' time for them to have a look.

However, if anyone has had similar problems and knows the source of these, I would gladly like to know.

Next problem: Over the course of the last few months, the lacquer has started to peel off the shiny alloys and with moisture getting behind the lacquer, the metal appears to have corroded (the metal has not corroded -it is just the transparent lacquer not being transparent anymore). I have asked the dealer if they would change them under warranty and they have said that they need to look at them first. Again, has anyone had similar problems and had the dealer change the alloys under warranty?

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
Rough Idle

My CDI never, never rough idles, even in cold weather. Something is wrong with your car that should be fixed. My opinion, if the car has never seen salt, you should be covered under warranty for your wheels.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML 320 CDI
I had the tiniest little specks of corrosion on my alloys that when I took it to the dealers I had to point out the corrosion with a pencil whilst the tech was on his hands and knees looking for the problem. They replaced all four alloys without hesitation.