E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Was just told that the E320 has a crappy engine.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 08:58 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 260 Likes on 186 Posts
The engine in my John Deere is built by Ferrari...
Old 05-05-2006, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by dannieboiz
Wonder why a lot of the members on the Benz forums are so rude. Especially in the E forums. Was expecting more mature responses.

You're driving a nice classy car, at least pretend like you have some class instead of going to insult other people. Maybe you know a little more about Benz than a lot of people out there, but there are definitely things that others know a lot more than you do. Feels like I'm posting in ricerockets dot com.
I agree. This is why I'm not staying with Mercedes anymore, the image is no longer there. Probably because Mercedes is a bit more accessible these days?
Old 05-05-2006, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Do you actually think about what you read? Now, if I was suggesting that mercedes uses GM engines and I'm rude for that. Ok fine, I'm rude, if you take it that personal as if you are the president of Mercedes Benz.

Do you speak a foreign language?

Try this link, copy and paste that quote and select your language.

here is some hard facts for you if you're up to reading. It's hard not to see why some mistaken (or not) think that Mercedes uses domestic parts vice versa.
You also had the word "crappy" in the subject line. That was the part that scared many of us half to death.

Besides, I thought you were a mechanic at a body shop, Dannieboiz, how come you don't know that the E320 engine is totally different than a GM engine?

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/147036-car-won-t-start-after-accident.html

But yea, next time, try to avoid using buzz words like "crappy", that really scared us avid 320 engine owners. Seriously, it's almost difficult to believe that someone would say that, even if that person did, I wouldn't believe it. It's kind of an extreme one to fall for.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 E320
Wonder why a lot of the members on the Benz forums are so rude. Especially in the E forums. Was expecting more mature responses.

You're driving a nice classy car, at least pretend like you have some class instead of going to insult other people. Maybe you know a little more about Benz than a lot of people out there, but there are definitely things that others know a lot more than you do. Feels like I'm posting in ricerockets dot com.
I think the problem doesn't necessarily lie with some of the replies, but sometimes starts with the original post. So ‘someone’ told you the E320 has a 'crappy' engine; so what? Unless you post all the information, such as who this person is and what his long-term expertise is regarding Mercedes-Benz engines, it doesn't really mean much. Is he an engine builder? A 20-year Mercedes-Benz technician veteran? Editor for Consumer Reports? A writer for European Car magazine? If your going to make that kind of post, kindly add all the pertinent information, like this ‘someone’s credentials and why he has come to this conclusion, along with the facts to back it up.

If you’re not happy with your M-B, I don't think a bunch of forum members are going to 'convince you to keep this car'. You're either happy with your Mercedes or your not. If you are, I'm not sure why 'someone just told me that the E320 has a GM engine, which is the same engine on the ML which all means crappy' means anything to you... clearly it doesn't mean much to members here that have vehicles with 100k miles or more...

Additionally, you wrote 'You're driving a nice classy car, at least pretend like you have some class instead of going to insult other people.' Perhaps you're guilty of just that, so you shouldn't take it personal when someone takes a shot back at you...

Last edited by Richard / E320; 05-05-2006 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
things with and without wheels
Do you actually think about what you read? Now, if I was suggesting that mercedes uses GM engines and I'm rude for that. Ok fine, I'm rude, if you take it that personal as if you are the president of Mercedes Benz.

Do you speak a foreign language?

Try this link, copy and paste that quote and select your language.

here is some hard facts for you if you're up to reading. It's hard not to see why some mistaken (or not) think that Mercedes uses domestic parts vice versa.
before you start getting testy with other members here maybe you should google the names Mercedes and GM and see whos who in the auto world .
Old 05-05-2006, 11:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Errr...don't even own an E, and I knew that. Ditto to what Richard / E320 said. A little more information may have helped. Might have flamed the guy that told you rather than flame you yourself.

Oh and the comment about sharing the engine with ML, meaning the engine is crappy...Pretty ballsy of you to say that. The 320 engine on our ML has been rock solid. Tell that to the people with 100k+ miles on their ML without every needing to replace an engine.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Build date 2-04 E500
Dang..... Anyway I can delete my post in the dumb-*** thread???? I'm regreting responding to it..........
phucking trolls...
Old 05-06-2006, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Don't delete it. It was precise, concise, and rather well written. GM engine! Hah. I've never read a more stupid claim.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:47 AM

11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
GM - better known as Goofy Marketing - builds the Saturn Vue. The 3.5L V6 engine they use in that thing is a Honda V6. The latest reviewer stated that it was the best 3.5L V6 engine available. Hmmmm.... GM buys Honda engines because they can't build one as good???

Jim
Old 05-08-2006, 11:58 AM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
A Mercedes with a GM engine? In-con-ceiv-able! Next thing you know, somebody will be claiming that a Lotus has a Toyota engine, or that a Rolls Royce has a BMW engine.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
GM is more or less fused the Saturn line into the Saab line.... may Saab RIP..

As for the original post.. I did (to be fair) have an MB Engineer (retired out here in Sun City) tell me recently that in 1997 when MB decided to go to "modular" engines with their gas cars.. namely with the V6 they replaced their I-6's with.. they asked Ford (not GM) to assist them in that design as they were not as experienced in this department.. up to that point, most MB engines were unique to their platform, and the way engines were made was much more costly.. The new "throw away" engines and transmission designs weren't made so much for long life, as they were made for inexpensive parts replacements.. He told me (and it stuck with me to when I decided to purchase the CDI) that the last of the true MB design & Quality engines is the 4-5-6 cylinder iron block diesel OM6xx engine.. and that when the Aluminum block V6 comes out, it will be a fraction of the former engine in terms of build quality.. MB is only now after numerous lawsuits reversing their claim on their transmissions that they are 100,000 mile service intervals.. they are actually now recommending new fluid ever 30K or so.. MB isn't alone in this, Lexus and Toyota are both reversing this life time trans policy as they've been in too many law suits over it.

This is a trend that ALL car makers are following sadly... From Bentley, down to VW.. nobody is spared from this cost cutting engineering... They literally just don't make 'em like they used to... the sooner we all accept it, the sooner we'll all get over it..

Last edited by CE750; 05-08-2006 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
If anyone doubts that Americans are among the most naive when it comes to automotive technology, you only have to consider that NASCAR fans actually believe that those race cars are Fords, Chevy's, etc.

BTW, here's a drawing of an M112 engine. http://www.whnet.com/4x4/new_V6.html
Old 05-08-2006, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by DWP
A Mercedes with a GM engine? In-con-ceiv-able! Next thing you know, somebody will be claiming that a Lotus has a Toyota engine, or that a Rolls Royce has a BMW engine.
I've heard of a Mercedes with a Chrysler engine. Unreal!
Old 05-08-2006, 09:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
09' E350, 01' Maxima SE, 93 Nissan Maxima SE, 1987 Nissan Maxima SE
Whoever told you that Mercedes has a GM Engine is sorely mistaken. I laughed when I read this post, thinking why would MB have a GM engine if MB came around first before GM existence. I wouldn't imagine MB wouldn't last if it did had a GM engine.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:29 PM

2004 E500 AMG Sport and 2020 GLC300
It doesn't take all kinds.....

We just have them!
Old 05-09-2006, 07:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by DWP
Well actually the Lotus Elise does have a Toyota engine...lol! Its the same engine from the just departed Celica.

M
Old 05-09-2006, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
Originally Posted by Germancar1
Well actually the Lotus Elise does have a Toyota engine...lol! Its the same engine from the just departed Celica.

M
I'm sure he meant it as a tounge-in-cheek reference. The Lotus does indeed have a Toyota engine, and the Rolls certainly has a BMW engine.

I've dealt with this type of person many times before. They just want to latch on something to belittle the car you own. I wonder if GM is still using those 3.8L pushrods (and those horrible small keys and that atrocious turn signal stalk). So you can counter and say NO, this actually is an engine that was built in THIS century, not some 50+ year throwback.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's funny how people take a rumor and run with it without actually doing any research.
here's a fact that may stun some of you;
Mercedes purchased Detroit Diesel few years ago and then engine that Mercedes put their badge on is a very proven series 60 inline six power house. When Mercedes put out their own version of this replica of series 60 inline six , their engine fell short to the original design( loosing head gaskets due to not enough of clamping force on the cylinder head) .Too many unhappy customers and a bad reputation, go figure
Old 05-10-2006, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BudC
If anyone doubts that Americans are among the most naive when it comes to automotive technology, you only have to consider that NASCAR fans actually believe that those race cars are Fords, Chevy's, etc.

BTW, here's a drawing of an M112 engine. http://www.whnet.com/4x4/new_V6.html
there not?