E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Strange tailight behavior

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 11:13 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange tailight behavior

About a week ago.. was driving my 2005 E500 at night and a buddy was following me in a Subaru STi (no I didn't race him.. get my butt kicked).
When we got to where we were going.. he said..
"Did you know the left side tail light is significantly brighter than the right?"
"hmm.. no"
"It's irritating as hell driving behind you"
So we go out to look.
I turn the lights on.. look at the back of the car.. same illumination from both sides.
Maybe it was the distance or angle he was at.. so we walked all around.. same on both sides.
Last night I drove the car again at night, was going up my driveway.. noticed kids bike was outside so I stopped to move it. Walked to back of car.
WOW!
Left side light was WAY brighter than right.
Get in car and noticed I had the 'fog' lights on (knob twisted to far right and pulled out).
In the manual I know it says there is a backup light.
So maybe it's cuz car is parked that left side is so bright.
So I have my wife drive the car.. still bright.
Turn off the 'fog' lights.. goes to same illumination on both sides when parked or driving.

So after this long story.. is this normal?
I don't know of any other E's I can look at.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
Totally normal. When you pull out the headlight switch, there is actually two clicks. The first is the front fog lights, and the second click is the rear fog light. You will notice it on when you see both lights above the headlight switch on.

The rear fog light should only be used in conditions where visibility is limited.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:02 AM
Almost a Member!

perfectly normal you have no idea how many cars I get in the shop with this complaint, its a euro thing, for parking on the sidewalks so people can see your car and not run into it......
Old 05-26-2006, 12:18 AM
Almost a Member!

Ok.. thanks.
1 click out it is from now on.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
um.

Also kind of comes in handy when someone is tailgating you and you want them to back off a bit
Old 05-26-2006, 07:41 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
Also kind of comes in handy when someone is tailgating you and you want them to back off a bit
..hmm.. that's a novel use of the rear fog light. I just slam my breaks!!!
Old 05-26-2006, 10:13 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Originally Posted by Thrillhouse
perfectly normal you have no idea how many cars I get in the shop with this complaint, its a euro thing, for parking on the sidewalks so people can see your car and not run into it......
This is not for parking. This 2nd pull position is for a rear fog when it is foggy or when there are rooster tails that can't been seen through (a lot of rain).
Old 05-26-2006, 10:16 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Originally Posted by RunninRS
About a week ago.. was driving my 2005 E500 at night and a buddy was following me in a Subaru STi (no I didn't race him.. get my butt kicked).
When we got to where we were going.. he said..
"Did you know the left side tail light is significantly brighter than the right?"
"hmm.. no"
"It's irritating as hell driving behind you"
So we go out to look.
I turn the lights on.. look at the back of the car.. same illumination from both sides.
Maybe it was the distance or angle he was at.. so we walked all around.. same on both sides.
Last night I drove the car again at night, was going up my driveway.. noticed kids bike was outside so I stopped to move it. Walked to back of car.
WOW!
Left side light was WAY brighter than right.
Get in car and noticed I had the 'fog' lights on (knob twisted to far right and pulled out).
In the manual I know it says there is a backup light.
So maybe it's cuz car is parked that left side is so bright.
So I have my wife drive the car.. still bright.
Turn off the 'fog' lights.. goes to same illumination on both sides when parked or driving.

So after this long story.. is this normal?
I don't know of any other E's I can look at.
I am sure your E500 could give that car a run for its money with the 7 speed it would be maybe a few tenths difference. That is not getting your butt kicked.

Old 05-26-2006, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by ATS
I am sure your E500 could give that car a run for its money with the 7 speed it would be maybe a few tenths difference. That is not getting your butt kicked.
That's what I thought before I looked up the specs for the Subaru sti. Apparently the 0-60 time is around 4.5 seconds. Not really a march for the 5.9 seconds of the E500. Plus it would be very embarrassing to be beaten by a Subaru so I think the original poster was wise to not enter into a battle you are likely to use. You are probably going to need something along the lines of an E63/55 to battle effectively.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:03 AM
Almost a Member!

The Subaru under any conditions will smoke the E500.
Drag racing, engines, trannies, calibration, tuning.. I know quite a bit about all that stuff
I work on that car (and that gold cart.. which will also smoke an E500 0-60 and possibly the Subaru). That's me in the 'passenger' seat of the golf cart.
3 consecutive championships (2003, 2004, 2005 and looking good for 2006)
Smallblock Ford with a supercharger.
Runs low 6.40's @ 217 MPH in the 1/4.
Attached Thumbnails Strange tailight behavior-sunday_0571.jpg