E500 Transmission question - Urgent!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 08:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E-500
E500 Transmission question - Urgent!!

Folks,

I would always get a slight jerk when my E shifts to/from 1st, 2nd or 3rd gears. It is a 2004 E500 and has 7 speed tranny.

About 5 months ago they changed the transmission valve module (my friend who drives the lastest ML 350 also got it changed), in a couple of days I started noticing the same problem again.

When I took it for Service D, I asked them to check it out but they found nothing. So I had a mechanic ride with me and showed him how to get the uncomfortable jolt at stop and go traffic. He agreed there is a problem and offered to replace the transmission. He said MB is going to pay for it but I am not sure if I should go with it. I get a new tranny after 30k miles, that's a good thing, but replacing the tranny will mean they have to take things apart and when they do that I have always been told the originality of the car is gone. He feels it's probably true with older and cheaper cars but not with Mercedes. I asked what he would do if it happened to his brother's car, he said he would still recommend a new tranny. He also mentioned 90% of the 2004 E's have this problem, some are severe and some are less severe. His opinion is mine is very minor but offered tranny replacement because it wont cost me anything. He sounded like a reasonable and honest guy (well I will take that risk), I believe him.

Do you know if replacing a tranny will require removing (or dismounting) the engine and stuffs. Please help!!!!!

thanks
Raja
Old 06-07-2006, 10:02 PM
rjm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multiple
Take the free transmission. If you don't replace it, it will always drive you nuts every time it jerks. If it is a typical Mercedes dealership, they will do an excellent job replacing it. Hopefully you will get a new one that won't jerk every time it shifts gears.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I've been down this road with my 7 speed. The've replaced valve body, pan, etc. over 4 different visits. It still upshifts abruptly from 1-2 & 2-3 at random times. (The original problem was a "bump from behind" downshift from 2-1) Sometimes it is silky smooth. It almost feels like it is not a computer controlled transmission anymore because it has to shift 2 gears down when coming out of a a turn from rounding a corner. It doesn't "anticipate" anything based on engine RPM, car speed/acceleration/deceleration. I hate this transmission. I WISH my guys would have replaced mine. As it is, they had to get permission from MBUSA to do the work they did so far. Take the new transmission!! More than likely you will love the car afterwards. Its like mine is a frankenstein transmission... some of the old parts & some of the new trying to work with a new transmission/engine control program.

Later 7 speeds are supposedly silky smooth. (My car was built 11/03)

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 06-08-2006 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:36 AM

Mercedes benz E500
i have also have the same problem as you guys do. as i know they already change the transmission oil and the valve. but it still have the same problem. i think, i wanted to complain and i will ask for a new transmission. i already bring the car in for the transmission aleast three times. but they don't have any result.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
I've been down this road with my 7 speed. The've replaced valve body, pan, etc. over 4 different visits. It still upshifts abruptly from 1-2 & 2-3 at random times. (The original problem was a "bump from behind" downshift from 2-1) Sometimes it is silky smooth. It almost feels like it is not a computer controlled transmission anymore because it has to shift 2 gears down when coming out of a a turn from rounding a corner. It doesn't "anticipate" anything based on engine RPM, car speed/acceleration/deceleration. I hate this transmission. I WISH my guys would have replaced mine. As it is, they had to get permission from MBUSA to do the work they did so far. Take the new transmission!! More than likely you will love the car afterwards. Its like mine is a frankenstein transmission... some of the old parts & some of the new trying to work with a new transmission/engine control program.

Later 7 speeds are supposedly silky smooth. (My car was built 11/03)
Why didnt you (or dont you) demand a new transmission to be covered under warranty? It is unacceptable for you to put up with a band transmission.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Demand? MBUSA doesn't take replacing a transmission lightly. The goal is to drag it out attempting to "repair" it untill the customer stops complaining, trades or whatever.. You know how many marginal early 7 speeds there must be out there?

As for me, when I can't stand it anymore I'll scream & yell... but I'm certainly not "completely satisfied" with my MB, & I'm sure I'll be back at the dealership asking them to "look at it" again. Soon.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Demand? MBUSA doesn't take replacing a transmission lightly. The goal is to drag it out attempting to "repair" it untill the customer stops complaining, trades or whatever.. You know how many marginal early 7 speeds there must be out there?

As for me, when I can't stand it anymore I'll scream & yell... but I'm certainly not "completely satisfied" with my MB, & I'm sure I'll be back at the dealership asking them to "look at it" again. Soon.
Yes, I meant demand. After you pay a certain amount of money, I think you are entitled to drive a vehicle with a transmission that is not defective. I really don't care how many marginal 7 speeds are out there. It's really not my concern or problem. I'd give a dealer 2 opportunities to fix the transmission problem. If my time is wasted for a third time and the problem is clearly with the transmission, I will demand a new transmission, if I'm convinced that's what will fix the problem for good. If I ever get to that point, I will now allow someone to drag things out wasting my time, and neither should anyone else. They'll have you dance to their tune for only as long as you oblige.

Trending Topics

Old 03-13-2007, 08:33 PM
Almost a Member!

01 E55 & 04 E500
I am have a similar problem, but my dealer said not to worry about it. The jerk is not present everytime. They changed the software twice already. He told me that I drive it too rough and under "normal" driving it should drive smooth. I don't know what to do. I hate the way the car takes off from slow speeds with a "bump".
Old 03-13-2007, 09:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
Get it done. I could change that trans in about the same time it takes to do the valve body that you had replaced previously. It's a NEW transmission and has many updated parts. No majory disassembly is required really, just nuts and bolts.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:32 PM

2005 E500 AMG Sport
I agree with everyone, have the transmission replaced. I had mine replaced at around 30k miles or so because of harsh jerking when I would come to a stop. The dealer's tech took it for a ride, then Mercedes told the dealer to just replace the whole tranny. It took two days for them to ship it from Germany and a day to put it in.

Look at it this way, it will be a while before you have to replace it again because you replaced it at 30k!
Old 03-13-2007, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
If you drive the car in "C" it will be gone. Not what you wanted to hear, but personally I think the 7 speed has been a PIA to MB... and as much as MB would like there to be one, I don't think there IS any real "cure". Yeah, its like sweeping the dirt under the rug by leaving the trans in "C" mode, but unless you're racing the smoothness will outweigh this "lump under the carpet" fix.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 03-14-2007 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:44 PM
JLP

06 E-55-95-F355S- 99 Porsche 911 C2 w mods
If you drive the car in "C" it will be gone. Not what you wanted to hear, but personally I think the 7 speed has been a PIA to MB. Yeah, its like sweeping the dirt under the rug, but unless you're racing the smoothness will outweigh the "lump under the carpet".
Not all the time, I've seen several 722.9's that were driven in C mode and still did the same thing. The trannys are hit or miss.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:14 AM

Mercedes benz E500
Unhappy

i have the same problem as well. i already have this transmision problem from at least 1 and half year but when i put in C mode it's gone. i also had bring it to the several dealer at least 5 times and more but still they can't do anything about it. i already done all the necessary such as change the transmision oil or even change the transmision valve but nothing change. even worse that the technician in Symth Mercedes benz in Stevens Creek San jose, make my transmision oil leak from the transmision pan. So You guys better check your transminision when ever it came out from the dealer especially if you request to check on the transmision. So i also wondering what i need to do? i am so fed up with this problem.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:05 PM
JLP

06 E-55-95-F355S- 99 Porsche 911 C2 w mods
Originally Posted by brabus2ner
So i also wondering what i need to do? i am so fed up with this problem.

You need to tell your Service Manager that you are fed up and want a new tranny.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
i have the same problem as well. i already have this transmision problem from at least 1 and half year but when i put in C mode it's gone. i also had bring it to the several dealer at least 5 times and more but still they can't do anything about it. i already done all the necessary such as change the transmision oil or even change the transmision valve but nothing change. even worse that the technician in Symth Mercedes benz in Stevens Creek San jose, make my transmision oil leak from the transmision pan. So You guys better check your transminision when ever it came out from the dealer especially if you request to check on the transmision. So i also wondering what i need to do? i am so fed up with this problem.
When you speak with the Service Manager make sure to request that the area MBUSA Service Parts & Operations Manager (SPOM) get involved. MBUSA is strictly enforcing their “if the problem cannot be duplicated we will not pay” policy. However, in your particular case documentation by several dealers will show that the problem has not been corrected despite numerous attempts to repair and as such a new transmission should be approved.

Last edited by konigstiger; 03-14-2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:49 PM
Almost a Member!

Transmission Problem

I had a similar problem with my GMC jimmy, yes I know there's no comparison between cars, however I too experienced the jerkiness when shifting from 1st to 2nd. The problem only showed itself when my transmission was hot.....occurring now and then. The mechanics were never able to experience the jerk. They always test drove my GMC with a cold engine, consequently I drove about 100 miles to make sure the transmission was hot and then had the service manager test the car.... it worked, he felt the jerking on shifting from 1st to 2nd......it was a strong jerk.
The problem was attributed to a bad seal in the transmission. When driving the pressure would build up in the tranny,building up pressure at the seal, then suddenly the seal would release the pressure and the trans.would then shift into 2nd gear. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd was always smooth.
It may not may not be the same problem, but may be some food for thought.
MBworld members, please don't think me crazy.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:56 PM

Mercedes benz E500
Originally Posted by PlayboyDiddy
I agree with everyone, have the transmission replaced. I had mine replaced at around 30k miles or so because of harsh jerking when I would come to a stop. The dealer's tech took it for a ride, then Mercedes told the dealer to just replace the whole tranny. It took two days for them to ship it from Germany and a day to put it in.

Look at it this way, it will be a while before you have to replace it again because you replaced it at 30k!
i am wondering after you change a new transmission do you feel any different. Does the jerks goes away?
Old 03-14-2007, 08:00 PM

Mercedes benz E500
thanks guys for the information, i will try to talk to my advisor and let's see what is going to happen. as i remember, the last time i bring in for transmission issue, what i get back from them is just a long report saying they can't fix it. so my guess is either the technision is stupid or just lazy. Because every time you bring in the car. they just plug in the cable to our car ECU and see anythings goes wrong or not. basically they didn't do any mechanical test.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Is this problem simply a design defect with the 7G transmission? If so, then maybe I should forget about buying a 2007 E-Class.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:38 AM

2005 E500 AMG Sport
i am wondering after you change a new transmission do you feel any different. Does the jerks goes away?
The jerking did go away. Hasn't been back since! It was done at Beshoff Motorcars in San Jose.

Last edited by PlayboyDiddy; 03-15-2007 at 02:40 AM.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:17 AM

Mercedes benz E500
Originally Posted by PlayboyDiddy
The jerking did go away. Hasn't been back since! It was done at Beshoff Motorcars in San Jose.
oo ok. thanks for the info. anyway who is your advisor in Beshoff. So next time i can come to him and ask for the same issues. if it is ok for you?
Old 03-15-2007, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by nsraja
Folks,

I would always get a slight jerk when my E shifts to/from 1st, 2nd or 3rd gears. It is a 2004 E500 and has 7 speed tranny.

About 5 months ago they changed the transmission valve module (my friend who drives the lastest ML 350 also got it changed), in a couple of days I started noticing the same problem again.

When I took it for Service D, I asked them to check it out but they found nothing. So I had a mechanic ride with me and showed him how to get the uncomfortable jolt at stop and go traffic. He agreed there is a problem and offered to replace the transmission. He said MB is going to pay for it but I am not sure if I should go with it. I get a new tranny after 30k miles, that's a good thing, but replacing the tranny will mean they have to take things apart and when they do that I have always been told the originality of the car is gone. He feels it's probably true with older and cheaper cars but not with Mercedes. I asked what he would do if it happened to his brother's car, he said he would still recommend a new tranny. He also mentioned 90% of the 2004 E's have this problem, some are severe and some are less severe. His opinion is mine is very minor but offered tranny replacement because it wont cost me anything. He sounded like a reasonable and honest guy (well I will take that risk), I believe him.

Do you know if replacing a tranny will require removing (or dismounting) the engine and stuffs. Please help!!!!!

thanks
Raja
I would go with the new transmission. I understand your conservative approach. But consider they have already replaced the valve and you still have problems. There could be a problem that only a teardown will repair. Mercedes is working with you and willing to make the repair. I would recommend you let them especially if it is a "new out of the box transmission". Should be a straight forward replacement. I have crawled all over my E500 and photos of the bottom side. Not really that difficult to replace. Just check it closely after the repairs for minor details. I have been really impressed with the service at my Mercedes dealer, (ok so the prices are a bit steep),, but service has been nothing short of top notch work. I would recommend our dealer service dept, and I can assure you that I don't recommend many. Only 2 in the past 20 years. Jim

NO I don't work for Mercedes,, I bought mine like everyone else. I just believe in giving + to a dealer when they deserve it.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:07 AM
Almost a Member!

My 05 E500 has been in 4 times for the exact same problem.
1st 3 times they said nothing was wrong.
This last time they changed the software and replaced some clip.
As I was taking it home it shifted bad again (and had another problem they didn't fix) so I turned around and went back to the dealership.
They told me to just keep it in C mode and it will shift better.
Going to take it in for a 5th time next week.
Maybe this time they fix it.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:15 AM

2005 E500 AMG Sport
oo ok. thanks for the info. anyway who is your advisor in Beshoff. So next time i can come to him and ask for the same issues. if it is ok for you?
PM sent...
Old 03-15-2007, 02:04 PM

Exclamation similar issue

In my '03 E500 (25k miles) I started noticing a strange vibration and shift pattern during slow acceleration at around 30mph. I could see the rpm's rise and fall, as you would with a slipping clutch. It got worse, so I took it in for service. The repair recommendation is a new transmission control module. I hope this isn't some kind of band-aid repair.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E500 Transmission question - Urgent!!