E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Trunk absorbs all bass effect

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 11:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E-500
Trunk absorbs all bass effect

I installed my own 1200 watt Sony amp with two 12" polk audio woofers. I know Sony is crappy but when I play it with the trunk open I cant stand anywhere near the car (even at medium volume). However if I close the trunk it locks all bass and sound affect within. Car Toys folks said the trunk and rear seats are separated by gas tank and its no wonder I dont get the punch as much.

I spent only $350 for the whole setup, built my own airtight box with HomeDepot DMF wood and lining cloth from Walmart, and it looks and sounds 100 times better than commerially made boxes. It turned out my DIY was a great success, like I said I have no doubt my system is performing great when the trunk is open, when closed it locks the sound within.

Can anyone think of a solution to release the sound effect out to the world

Thanks
Raja
Old 06-09-2006, 12:11 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Do you have the folding rear seats? I read somplace here that cars that don't have the folding rear seats (mine doesn't) have an extra steel plate behind the rear seatback, to increase body stiffness or something. That may be what's muffling your bass ...
Old 06-10-2006, 12:42 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar issue with mine. My E500 did not come with the HK system so the spot in the rear deck where the HK sub usually sits was open, but it had a foam plate in it. I removed it and removed some sound blocking material from the 4 side ports in the rear deck and now the bass come through nice and hard.