Rattles Behind Cluster Found

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 12:20 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts
Rattles Behind Instrument Cluster Isolated

Finally got the instrument cluster trim piece removed today. Mine was in very,very tightly, and unlike some others, it was a ***** to pull out. I had to design my own removal tool and made certain that I protected the dash from any damage using thin credit card type plastic pieces inserted between the dash and tool.

I've isolated the rattle(s) to the plastic touching at 2 points where the actual cluster itself is held in place and 2 others where it rests on other plastic. MB puts some felt tape in the contact points but its not enough as road vibrations will set off the rattling. (The rattling was easily duplicated by gently/moderately hitting dash on either side of the cluster binnacle with the soft portion of a closed fist, which is what helped me originally isolate the area).

If you ever have a rattles coming from the top of the dash and it sounds like it's behind the custer this could be your problem. If I can remove the cluster itself without to much trouble (appears to be held in with 4 #27 t screws) I'll reinsulate the areas of contact with more felt tape which should end the rattles, if not I'll have to let the technician handle it during my service.

Some have asked me why I just don't let service handle everything, well I really enjoy fixing the small stuff and I like learning about the car and how it was put together. Plus the techs I'm used to dealing with appreciate it when the customer can help isolate exatly where a noise or problem is coming from; I always let them handle the complex stuff and try to ask good questions so I can learn a little in the process.

Last edited by RJC; 06-15-2006 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E500
Great work! Did you happen to take any pics for your diy fix?
Old 06-16-2006, 12:22 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Dvinn
Great work! Did you happen to take any pics for your diy fix?
Thanks. I did not take any pics but I'd be happy to help with step by step if anyone needs it.