E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Valet Lock Retrofit!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 01:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI;'04 S2k;'94 Supra TT;'10 QX56;'38 Buick;98 Port City Offset Late Model
Just give them the reference at the top of this post. There have been numerous times I want my camera, or my wife's coat, or some shopping something or other after work, but don't want to leave it unattended in the parking lot. This will let us lock it up.

I really don't like the cheapening of the E-class. Noticed another one...the metal tie down rings in the trunk are gone. So we plan on keeping the car at least 2-3 more years, until there is a selection of diesels with the features we want.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Does anyone know if this retrofit is just to put things back they way they were before MBUSA took it out? I suspect that there are changes to be made to satisfy MBUSA lawyers.

However, if it were possible to get the lock cylinder used in Europe then I'd just go in and swap it. I can't think of a scenario where having it the old way causes anyone to be in danger. First of all, if someone got into the trunk, they did it with the vehicle unlocked. Then what's going to happen? Is the owner of the car going to come along and double lock the trunk?

If you are car jacked and put into the trunk, how many bad guys even know how the Valet lock feature works?

The whole thing is ridiculous.

What I would like to know is this:

Does the retrofit kit contain the old lock cylinder plus some rewiring to satisfy the lawyers? If this is true, I'll just go buy the kit, change the lock and throw away the rest of it. I don't care if the lock comes with keys that don't match the ones that came with the car.

BTW, I've asked my SA if they do the retrofit, what it costs and if he knows of any one who could provide some goodwill assistance. Since I'm a pretty good customer, I'm hoping for the best.