E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Does replacing my OEM mufflers void my warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Does replacing my OEM mufflers void my warranty?

Thinking about getting rid of the stock mufflers with something that has just a little bit more rumble. I found a local shop that will do it if I bring them the parts but I was wondering if this would void my MB warranty?

Anyone know for sure, and not just guessing?
Old 07-24-2006, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its big and Grey!
no, unless they can PROVE that you removing the muffler caused the problem "in question"
Old 07-24-2006, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Good to know, thanks.

Now, a question about my lowering via washer method:

I'm taking my car in for it's B+ service next week. Most likely, they'll only change some filters, and do an oil change. Should I pop out my washers for that visit? I don't think they'd have any reason to work on the suspension, but if they pull a wheel off to check the brakes and see these shiny washers, are they obligated to void my warranty?

Just wondering. Since it's so easy to pop them out, I guess I'll do it just in case.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:04 AM

h
It's a bit of a read, but this might answer any questions you may have:

http://autopedia.com/html/HotLinks_LemonMM2.html
Old 07-25-2006, 06:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
If your car is lowered and a shock goes bad, they can and will most likely not warantee that part. If your car is lowered and a window stops working, that will be waranteed due to the fact one thing does not have to do with the other. Your car lowered will not void any waranteed part on the car except maybe some suspension parts. Thats what comes with modding.

If you change your muffler and blow a head gasket, MB might say something, but they still need to prove it was caused from that modification. In reality, a muffler is not going to blow a head gasket but MB can say something. (Although its not likely, and we both know a muffler cannot blow a head gasket)

Bottom line, Mod away, enjoy your car. Just know if the Modification is in the "area" of the problem, MB might say something.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:17 PM

2003 E-500
Mufflers are an integral part of the exhaust system and replacing them could cause a change in the overall operation of the catalytic converter and other emissions control equipment. Should that happen and you encounter a problem with emissions system failure you may not be covered.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 500
Changing your muffler will likely void your 8yr/100,000 emissions warranty of your car. Not sure if you want to do that. The cat converter on benz usually go bad by 50K and if yours does go bad and you have a modificated muffler, they will question it. Of course, you can argue w/ them but why take that chance.