Audio Reflashed With Some Visible Changes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Audio Reflashed With Some Visible Changes

I had to have my Audio Gateway "re-flashed" due to installing a 2006.1 DVD Navi DVD into the NAV unit in the trunk. It did some sort of a "software update" as soon as I inserted the DVD... Doing so must have corruped the software that my command was running under for the last couple of years. The single slot CD would hang up, or sometimes I would only get the MB Logo, or the CD Compact Disc Logo, or no audio at all from any component...

After the reflash, The changes I have noticed so far in the audio software update...

When I play a CD that I have burned myself, in addition to the title appearing in the COMAND Screen, it now appears in the MFD too... So instead of displaying the track title on the comand screen only, and displaying "Track 10" on the MFD, the title is displayed in both locations. Also if a track title has been truncated with 3 dots (...) following the title, by Comand to fit the screen, now a little light blue window pops up & fades out the entire screen & soft buttons on the Comand screen and it displays the full title in a smaller font. It is visible for 4 seconds, then it returns to the regular screen shot with the truncated title display and soft buttons.

No option of whether to scroll from the steering wheel buttons by presets or next available station, though.

I'm sure there are other subtle differences that I'll discover over the next few days.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 06-16-2006 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
I had to have my Audio Gateway "re-flashed" due to installing a 2006.1 DVD Navi DVD into the NAV unit in the trunk. It did some sort of a "software update" as soon as I inserted the DVD... Doing so must have corruped the software that my command was running under for the last couple of years. The single slot CD would hang up, or sometimes I would only get the MB Logo, or the CD Compact Disc Logo, or no audio at all from any component...

After the reflash, The changes I have noticed so far in the audio software update...

When I play a CD that I have burned myself, in addition to the title appearing in the COMAND Screen, it now appears in the MFD too... So instead of displaying the track title on the comand screen only, and displaying "Track 10" on the MFD, the title is displayed in both locations. Also if a track title has been truncated with 3 dots (...) following the title, by Comand to fit the screen, now a little light blue window pops up & fades out the entire screen & soft buttons on the Comand screen and it displays the full title in a smaller font. It is visible for 4 seconds, then it returns to the regular screen shot with the truncated title display and soft buttons.

No option of whether to scroll from the steering wheel buttons by presets or next available station, though.

I'm sure there are other subtle differences that I'll discover over the next few days.
Can we get the same features with an older nav DVD by just having the dealer reflash the audio gateway or does this need to be done with also an upgrade to the nav DVD? Either way are flashes/updates covered under warranty?
Old 06-17-2006, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
Can we get the same features with an older nav DVD by just having the dealer reflash the audio gateway or does this need to be done with also an upgrade to the nav DVD? Either way are flashes/updates covered under warranty?
I would believe that the software update is for the Comand. The fact that I have a navi unit in the trunk shouldn't matter. (The new nav DVD had some software update on the disk which didn't blend well with the software currently running on my system... I guess it was written after the software version my Comand was running under.) A good software writer would have had the NAV DVD update 1st update my Comand software to the version it was expecting to be there THEN update the update. Instead it aparently tried to update a version of the audio software that wasn't there, thereby making a mess... However, one thing I have learned with this car is that if its working alright, don't mess with it & try to make it perfect because you'll screw something else up.

Software writing & development is not MB's strong suit so my new stance on the WHOLE car is..."Unless its buggy, intermittant AND infuriating , LEAVE IT ALONE". The patch may open up a WHOLE can of worms, and to mix metaphors, "...I'm sorry doesn't put the bullet back into the gun."

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 06-17-2006 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:06 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E320 CDI
In an effort to correct the "there is no disk" error from the VCS when an MP3 is in the single slot, the dealer upgraded the SW on both the command and AG.

This did not solve the problem, but introduced a new bug. Now the command forgets where it was on the MP3 disk when you turn off the car.

When you start the car, it either starts at the beginning of the disk or at some other random song. I have confirmed the setting are set for normal play. (not random).

Last edited by emanon; 06-17-2006 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:29 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Although this may be new to you I have had these features on my 04. Just to let people know, most new cars have this.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E500 4matic, 2014 GL320, 2013 C300, 2015 Stingray
track titles on MFD

ATS,

was the display via the single slot or the changer?

When i play mp3's on my 2005, the track name shows up on the MFD. HOwever, from the CD Changer, the track name shows up on the COMAND, but "TRACK 3" for example shows up on the MFD.

Please clarify.
thx

Aceman
Old 06-19-2006, 11:29 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Originally Posted by aceman
ATS,

was the display via the single slot or the changer?

When i play mp3's on my 2005, the track name shows up on the MFD. HOwever, from the CD Changer, the track name shows up on the COMAND, but "TRACK 3" for example shows up on the MFD.

Please clarify.
thx

Aceman
CD Changer shows on Command and not on MFD.

Command shows on Command (obvioiusly) and MFD.

I have no idea the logic behind this just that this is the way it is.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:24 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,441 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
I would believe that the software update is for the Comand. The fact that I have a navi unit in the trunk shouldn't matter. (The new nav DVD had some software update on the disk which didn't blend well with the software currently running on my system... I guess it was written after the software version my Comand was running under.) A good software writer would have had the NAV DVD update 1st update my Comand software to the version it was expecting to be there THEN update the update. Instead it aparently tried to update a version of the audio software that wasn't there, thereby making a mess... However, one thing I have learned with this car is that if its working alright, don't mess with it & try to make it perfect because you'll screw something else up.

Software writing & development is not MB's strong suit so my new stance on the WHOLE car is..."Unless its buggy, intermittant AND infuriating , LEAVE IT ALONE". The patch may open up a WHOLE can of worms, and to mix metaphors, "...I'm sorry doesn't put the bullet back into the gun."
Reason:
P-B-82.85/524 AUG06 - Navigator Processor / DVD not recognized. DVD not recognized after replacement of the navigation processor using part # A211 870 52 26 the navigator processor requires navigation software version 42/05 (BQ6460216). The navigation software is backwards to all previous navigation processors. When replacing a defective navigation processor the replacement part # should be the same as the original since the Navigation Processor is compatible to specific head unit software.

Last edited by konigstiger; 09-09-2006 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:15 PM

2004 E320 4matic Euro Delivery / 2001 ML320 / 2000 A170cdi
2004 W211

Question - I have a 2004 W211 - is there Bluetooth available for this model year? It seems that MB makes a BT module for the 2005 and up, but the 03-04 has been forgotten. Specifically, I want to use Cingular (or T-Mobile) V600 or a BT model... cannot use my AT&T/Cingular V60 TDMA anymore with reliability...

Thanks

Ed

Old 10-04-2006, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
Originally Posted by airbusman
Question - I have a 2004 W211 - is there Bluetooth available for this model year? It seems that MB makes a BT module for the 2005 and up, but the 03-04 has been forgotten. Specifically, I want to use Cingular (or T-Mobile) V600 or a BT model... cannot use my AT&T/Cingular V60 TDMA anymore with reliability...

Thanks

Ed

Yes, MB does make a Bluetooth adapter (puck) for the '03-'04 cradle which will work with a number of phones.
Just do a forum search and you will find several threads on the subject
Old 10-05-2006, 07:04 AM

2013 E350
With the new Navigation DVD (2006.1), does the navigation now show the total time and distance to the final destination? ANy other changes to the navigation displays?

Thanks

JK