E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Rear center console - air vent noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 08:17 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear center console - air vent noise

I recently had the dealer install a blue tooth phone moduel set up in my front storage comparment. Prior to this install I had no issues with noise in the car.

The rear center console is of course connected to the front storage compartment. I point this out as the work in the front compartment has created a loud rattle in the rear unit.

Ever since I picked up the car, when the air conditioning is at full blast, as it is when you get into a car that has been parked in the hot sun for a few hours, the noise from the air passing through the rear vent is loud and it rattles. This is definitely not a normal sound related to just the passing of air but rather a loud annoying rattle.

When I physically pull up on the rear center console the noise stops until I let go of it. Playing with the position of the rear air vents and the wheel that drives the amount of air flowing through the vents, makes a difference but the noise does not go away altogeter.

I climbed in the rear seat and tried playing around with the vents. The one on the left works great. The one on the right is sticky in certain spots and clicks when you go from top to bottom as opposed to the vent control on the left which flows from top to bottom, side to side, with no stickiness or clicking noise.

I am guessing that they must have removed this entire unit to install the blue tooth related moduels and somehow in reinstalling it something was put back together wrong.

Anyone ever experience this and identify a solution?
Old 06-17-2006, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
take it back to the dealer and ask them to fix it.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
Originally Posted by Kar don
take it back to the dealer and ask them to fix it.
excellent ideal!
Old 06-18-2006, 12:10 PM
Almost a Member!

I am intending to do just that, take it back to the dealer.

In the few weeks I have owned this car, I have found more and better info here than the dealer has to offer. So I like to start here and bring the suggestions to the dealer.

Examples:

1) Dealer said there was no option for my 2006 E500 to enable my blackberry bluetooth phone to work with this vehicle. WRONG! I found solution here, brought it to dealers attn: Now I have a phone install

2) I complained about the quality of the micrphone. Dealer says never heard of any complaints, live with it. I find solution here, bring to dealers attention, now they are working to implement it.

So, I like to use a combination of searching forums for possible solutions and bringing attn to dealer. Not all dealers have equal experience and knowledge so hence the value of this forum to swap stories.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:45 AM
Almost a Member!

The dealer replaced the rear ashtray and vent, drove off in car, only to find the noise is louder now than before.

Anytime the air is on the noise is present...its a rattle.

When I crank up the fan speed to almost full blast the rattle is faint

When I crank down the fan speed to the lowest level, the rattle is extremely loud

Any ideas out there?