Hard wired FM modulator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 04:34 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
2009 S550 AMG sport pckg. 2014 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrewcab
Hard wired FM modulator

Hey,

Anyone ever hooked up a hard wired FM modulator to their car ??? I've been itching to replace my APS 50 unit with either a COMMAND unit or build a car computer and tap it into the sound so I can have MP3 capability and the whole nine yards but their are major dilemmas with each. Getting the COMMAND requires mucho dinero and some taking apart of things and visiting the dealer, so I would like to avoid that. The problem with buidling a computer is that the system is not aftermarket friendly, not to mention I would still like to retain as much functionality as possible withe the original equipment. So I have come to the conclusion that an FM modulator hard wired would be the best and cheapest idea at this point and if I wanted to I could upgrade the computer relatively cheaper and easier than a command unit. So with that said, anybody ever do it??? I'm not gonna go with a trasmitter cause they tend to downgrade the audio alot. I took apart the back trim covering where my antenna amplifier is and it has quite a few connections I didn' expect. I went on to startekinfo and looked as much as I could and learned that there are four antenna wires (FM1,AM,FM2,FM3), a wire going to the defroster which is part of the antenna system, an out put, and a power. The question is which is which? Plus I'm not sure what to do about the four antenna wires.
If there's anybody that knows, please gimme some advice cause startekinfo didn't gimme any info on which was which. Then maybe I'll have a leg to stand on in building my carputer in my benz.

Nickthegreek
Old 06-20-2006, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'02 E320 Color/Trim: 197 Obsidian Black / 835, Pano Roof, Dynamic Seats, Audio 20 w/ AGW, Airmatic
Originally Posted by Nickthegreek
Hey,

...so I can have MP3 capability .....
...I went on to startekinfo and looked as much as I could and learned that there are four antenna wires (FM1,AM,FM2,FM3), a wire going to the defroster which is part of the antenna system, an out put, and a power.
Nickthegreek
Hi, I've removed the audio gateway for the W211 and it doesn't look anything like what you have discribed. There is an antenna aquisition module in the rear left C pillar that is connected to the AGW via a coaxial cable. There is a power connector, the fiber optic cables and speaker connections.

If you search the forums, you'll find that the consensus is to solder the MP3 input to the Headunit, by sacrificing the HU CD or HU tape player inputs
Old 06-24-2006, 12:07 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
2009 S550 AMG sport pckg. 2014 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrewcab
I think I might take your advice or use this device made by soundgate http://www.soundgate.com/index.php?r...&usereferrer=1 . What I was actually describing was the antenna amplifier located in the rear left c-pillar that sends a stronger signal to the audio gateway. I think I will skip on that though.

Thnx