E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Dealer Service Turns Mind-Boggling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'16 528i MSport
Dealer Service Turns Mind-Boggling

We have had a few run-ins with leaking oil in our garage from the E320. It is fresh every morning. On Monday, I finally took it in to have it checked and fixed. More so, when I am decelerating, there is a grinding sound that eminates, and not when I'm not pressing the brakes.

I get a call back from my SA, who then begins to tell me that with 30K on my car, the rear brakes are gone, ergo, replacing the rear brakes may fix the problem. More so, the tires need to be changed. WHAT!!?? In 30K, the tires need to be changed?

So I need your help. What to do about the grinding sound? Because there is no way I am changing the tires on this thing when the car is going back anyways.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Replacing the tires at 30K is a realistic possibility depending on which brand of tires came on your car, and your inflation/driving habits. Regardless, changing the tires is only a recomendation by the dealer and completely up to you.

The brakes could need replacing too, but unless you know what you are looking at you might want to take the dealer's recomendation. It might solve the grinding noise, and if you need brakes, what are you going to do? The fact that they don't make noise when you step on them does usually support a claim that you need to replace them. But how does all of this address the oil stains on the floor?

Tell them to look at that first & then you'll deal with the other things. How is your dealers pricing on tires/balancing? You might do better outside... Check around.

My car came with Michellins. I like them. I try to replace the factory tires on all my cars as they wear out with Michellins because they have a hard long lasting rubber compound which gives a nice long life... (Softer rubber compounds have slightly more "gripping power" especially on wet pavement, but they wear much faster. I find the overall performance of these tires on this car to be superb.) Just my opinion. Everyone has a favorite tire brand. My car has 28K on the odometer & I am nowhere near tire replacement time... Inflation pressures 29F/31R.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 06-28-2006 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:22 PM

w211 E320
Replacing the tires at 30K is not uncommon. It all depends how you drive and the road conditions you usually drive on. As for the breaks I had my rear replaced during 20K because it was all gone, surprisingly the front lasted more than 2.5yrs.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 E350, 2013 C300 4MATIC, 2004.5 C230SS
Is the warning light on about the rear brakes? Dealer usually tell you to replace everything early to make more $$$ per visit and keeps you coming back later.

When I took my E500 to service at approx. 21k miles the dealer told me my rear brakes and disks have less than 5% left. Since both and the sensor has to replaced anyway I thought I just drive it 'til the warning light comes on and meanwhile ordered the necessary parts online.

Guess what, my rear brakes endured another 6 months/7500 miles, see my thread here, https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ght=rear+brake.

And notice they said replacing the rear brakes "MAY" fix the problem. What if it didn't? You'll end up with $500+ bill for the early retirement brakes job while they go look elsewhere for problem.

As for the tires, 30k sounds about right depending the type of tires and your driving style. My OE Michelin Pilot Primacy's are almost done and I have just a few hundred over 30k miles. My uncle's CLK500 rides on Michelin Pilot Sport's only last him 16+k miles. So your tires did alright.

Last edited by allen_7; 06-28-2006 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:23 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
How much tread do you have left? Tire wear has a lot to do with your driving style and the type of tires you have. That being said the grinding noise that you experienced during deceleration doe not seem to be a tire issue. I would seek opinion from another dealer. Like someone said earlier, I would change the brake pads unless the dealer said that will solve the problem, probably not! MB dealers are not real mechanics that know how to diagnose problems. They are parts replacers, period. They keep replacing parts untill they get it right either at MB's or your expense.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by DaCeptak0n
We have had a few run-ins with leaking oil in our garage from the E320. It is fresh every morning. More so, when I am decelerating, there is a grinding sound that eminates, and not when I'm not pressing the brakes.
Brakes:

* P-B-42.46/56 JAN05 SBC Noise Diagnostic Flow Charts; In order to provide more thorough diagnostics for noises associated with the SBC system, two comprehensive diagnostic flowcharts are posted on Star TeKInfo (EDAC-SBC Noise Diagnostic Tree). The first flow chart focuses on noises unique to the SBC hydraulic unit, while the second focuses on brake operating unit noises. A sound file for each distinct noise is attached together with a link to the appropriate DTB, where applicable.

(?) P-B-42.10/51e FEB06 Front Brake Squealing/Grinding Noise; Each time the brakes are applied, the play within the brake caliper guide channel cause the brake pads to move a short distance. This movement is transmitted to the two retaining pins. The rotation is then transmitted to the pressure retaining spring, which can cause it to dislodge from its original position. Modified pressure retaining springs, piston damper, and brake lining will be installed.

Oil leak:

(?) P-B-18.40/29a MAR06 Leakage between Oil Level Sensor and Oil Pan, the cause may be due to the sealing ring being damaged by the burr at the oil pan installation hole. Remove and replace the sealing ring.

Last edited by konigstiger; 06-29-2006 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:11 PM

'16 528i MSport
Updates...

Check this out! My father calls up our SA and he says that maybe we should speak with the Service Manager and validate the SA's claims. My father proceeds to speak with Glenn, who starts off by stating that the tires don't have to be changed, the rear brakes are not completely worn and can still run another 10-15K on them as well as the same for the tires.

He offers to change two tires for free but the other two, we would have to pay for as it was Michelin policy. The car hasn't entered its second mandatory service yet. No error or malfunction messages have come on or continue to come on and the car goes back in Jan 2007.

For the leak of oil, he said the seal was loose and replaced that and topped it off.

Benz Service - bunch of "hogwash" (n the words of my father).

Some advice--> Don't believe your SA, talk straight to the service manager.

By the way, this was Ray Catena Service Center in Edison, NJ off of Route 1 North.