E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Smartkey/memory problems, please read.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 330i, 06 E350
Smartkey/memory problems, please read.

Hi guys! My dad just got an 03 e500 last weekend and he got the car this morning after the dealer detailed it and stuff. Here's my question.

The dealer gave us 3 keys, one for me (A), one for my dad(B) and one for my brother(C) Here's the thing, if we insert (A) and adjust the seating for me and a/c for me and leave these settings, the car should go back to these settings when I insert my key right? So we now insert (B) key and adjust the seat and a/c for my dad. Then if I insert my key (A), the seats wont go back to the last position I had them in, but the a/c will, meaning if I leave it at 72 and my dad changes it to 60, when I insert my key, it goes back to 72, but the seats do not. We also had each seat position on M1 for both keys, meaning my key (A) has my seating position on M1, and my dad's key (B) has his seating position on M1 also.

Should I bring the car back to the dealership and let them reset/fix the memory? Or is there a way for me to reset it?
Old 07-12-2006, 01:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 CDI W211
Reset Seat Position

OK
I have this hapen several times.....seat as lost it,s memory.
Having spoke to the service technician this does hapen.

First open all windows and sunroof fully open then fully close.
2. Put seat all way foreward you may have to doe this by sitting on the passanger seat...... or some one who is small (CAUTION you may crush yourself on the steering wheel).Then put seat all way back...Then adjust to your driving position ...You may have to do this with each key.

3. Next read owners manual .......Set convienence to KEY DEPEENDENT also set to easy entry/exit (seat and steering wheel move).
Job done.

Les Chesterfield U.K.

Last edited by LeslieRushforth; 07-12-2006 at 01:45 AM.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:19 AM

06 330i, 06 E350
Thanks a lot for the reply. Fortunately and Unfortunately , it did work for some time but only for the steering wheel and the side mirrors, but the seat wont move back to the last position(I turned off seat for entry/exit). Then, when I was about to be contented, everything didnt work again. I guess I just have to go back to the dealer, maybe they can do something about it.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by oofie910
Thanks a lot for the reply. Fortunately and Unfortunately , it did work for some time but only for the steering wheel and the side mirrors, but the seat wont move back to the last position(I turned off seat for entry/exit). Then, when I was about to be contented, everything didnt work again. I guess I just have to go back to the dealer, maybe they can do something about it.
This feature is poorly designed & will never work the way you anticipate it should. Thats why MBUSA dropped the memory seat portion of the option after the '04s. The feature was designed in a convoluted way & every time I think I have it figured out it does something else to confuse me.

In my car, when you put the key into the ignition the seat seems to go back to the last position the last driver had the seat in while driving... not the memorized position associated with the driver number button or key number, even though the other features go to the positions & memory of the key number.

To me it appears that the German guy that worked on the logic of this item had no clue what an American driver was expecting, or what the Japanese programming was, & wrote his code including all kinds of bizarre behavior. Add to this the fact that my car also has Keyless Go, which in effect, seems to add 2 additional keys and the feature is lost in a ball of confusion.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:05 AM

06 330i, 06 E350
oh, ok. I thought people were able to resolve this, but I noticed that there arent that too much threads on this, perhaps people gave up? Well, I guess ill just be content that the easy/exit works and I guess ill just use the memory buttons. Thanks for the heads up!