E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

a few questions about headlights and foglights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2006 | 03:31 AM

08' S550, 04' E320 4matic, 03' Acura TL-S 6 speed, 1968 Vespa P150
a few questions about headlights and foglights

Anyway to set it so that the fogs come on with the headlights? w/o having to pull the switch everytime?

Also, what's the 2 far left notch on the switch for? One turns on the left and one turn on the right when the engine is off. What's the purpose of this?
Old 07-15-2006 | 05:40 AM

E270cdi
parking lights!!!!!!
Old 07-15-2006 | 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Foglights are for fog.

Period.
Old 07-15-2006 | 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by lkchris
Foglights are for fog.

Period.

I totally agree. I'm generally amused by people who burn them in clear weather thinking it makes them look, well, whatever it is they think.
Old 07-15-2006 | 03:34 PM

03 w203
Original post was just someone looking for info, just another person trying to broaden his knowledge of the Benz. Don't shut the guy down by telling him what foglights were designed for. I'm sure he knows what foglights are for. It's his foglights so let him do whatever he wants with them whether he wants to burn them in clear daylight.

Now going back to his question.

Originally Posted by dannieboiz
Anyway to set it so that the fogs come on with the headlights? w/o having to pull the switch everytime?
Old 07-15-2006 | 07:20 PM

05 E500 Wagon
Originally Posted by 03see2thirtyk
Original post was just someone looking for info, just another person trying to broaden his knowledge of the Benz. Don't shut the guy down by telling him what foglights were designed for. I'm sure he knows what foglights are for. It's his foglights so let him do whatever he wants with them whether he wants to burn them in clear daylight.

I concur…this is the same as when someone posts about how to disable a seatbelt chime and someone gets on their soapbox about belts, or when someone talks about beating another car and someone talks about not racing on the street and wont shut up or when someone posts about fog lights and…

Point being you should wear your seatbelt, not street race and certainly not use your fogs unless there is fog…however unless someone is asking whether or not they should…XXX…for my 2-cents lets stay on topic

If you’re passionate about wearing your belts, not racing on the street and never using fogs unless there is fog…start your own thread don’t get on your soapbox and highjack someone else’s

<OK, OK now I'm stepping down from MY soapbox on people who highjack threads>

Last edited by chenry; 07-16-2006 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-15-2006 | 08:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
wow why do people care so much if foglights are on or not? Personally I do drive with my fogs on and parking lights...

To answer the question... to turn on your foglights click to parking lights and pull the light knob, parking lights+ fog lights.

As to your answer your other question why illuminate either one side or the other? What I was told, is if you are parking somewhere in a hazard area or are double parking or something, instead of turning on your hazards, you turn on the light that faces the middle of the street(where moving traffic is) It is to warn them the car is there
Old 07-15-2006 | 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by 03see2thirtyk

Fair enough. Point taken.
Old 07-16-2006 | 04:30 AM

Thanks for staying on topic.

I drive with my fog lights on because they actually increase visibility. There are true fog lights and there are also driving lights which is different than headlights. I see these lights being more of a driving lights and not fog lights.

Besides, it just looks nicer driving with both headlights and fog/driving lights on.

I wonder why you guys aren't talking down on those guys that put 6000k HID into their foglights. Truth is yellow do best in fogs, so if these were true "foglights" they'd be yellow in the 3500k range.

Now I just wish there's a way to bypass the switch w/o taping any wires alternating any of the 10k sensors on this car.
Old 07-16-2006 | 09:29 AM
Almost a Member!

2006 E350 4Matic, 1990 300SE, 1984 190E, 1994 BMW 540ia
I am with you on this man. I drive with my fogs on too. It does make the car look nicer in my opinion too. Purists don't like hearing this as they prefer everything as MB intended. I say you own the car, do everything any way you want. (except the seatbelt issue. That's safety and just plain dumb. Why not disarm the airbags too. God forbid you may get burned by the inflating gases.)

I was looking for a way to do the same thing you mentioned so as to keep the fogs always switched on as default so they'll come on in auto position. MB has not changed the light dial's design in years. My 1984 190E has the same design and fogs have to be switched on everytime. (By the way the old cars had REAL fog lights. They were yellow.) To tackle this I fear it will take a hack job on the wiring and maybe screw some components so it's not worth it.

Fogs should be more yellowish as mentioned to be effective in fog. All white ones do is reflect white light. But the reflectors in them are low spread and not designed as driving lights either. So what are they? Fogs or driving? Lights just for style I guess.
Old 07-16-2006 | 10:16 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
As someone mentioned above I do think they increase visibility as well.

Funny thing is whenever there has been fog and I have turned them on, they were awful. I don't know if the Xenon's are just amazing and they do the jobs the fogs should do but when I turn them on, I can't see a difference at all.. Anyone else see a difference?
Old 07-16-2006 | 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E320
The only way you'll increase visibility while driving through the fog is by installing yellow ion bulbs or a 3500K HID kit. The stock bulbs are crap! Yes, I'm one of those drivers that drive with my fogs/driving lights (whatever you want to call it) because it greatly increases my visibility at night. I’ve driven by many cops at night and they don't seem to have an issue with my fogs turned on.

dannie: You could easily wire in a relay to have your fogs come on with your headlights. Really easy to do, but I'm afraid that it will a trigger a malfunction error.
Old 07-16-2006 | 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by W211 Ryda
The only way you'll increase visibility while driving through the fog is by installing yellow ion bulbs or a 3500K HID kit. The stock bulbs are crap! Yes, I'm one of those drivers that drive with my fogs/driving lights (whatever you want to call it) because it greatly increases my visibility at night. I’ve driven by many cops at night and they don't seem to have an issue with my fogs turned on.

dannie: You could easily wire in a relay to have your fogs come on with your headlights. Really easy to do, but I'm afraid that it will a trigger a malfunction error.
Looks like all of us are banging our heads on this one. lol I'm going to do some testing. I don't think the foglight malfunction comes on unless you switch on the foglight switch itself. So if that's the case we'll we'll just complete cut out the positive and tape a relay into it through the headlights, put a giant resister on the open wire and call it a day.

But technically, you can have a positive and positive tapped together and it won't hurt anything, so if we just directly tape into the fog wires with a relay and have it always on with auto, or run an aftermarket switch into the cabin and yhou'll be able to turn it on and off as well.
Old 07-16-2006 | 07:10 PM

03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Looks like all of us are banging our heads on this one. lol I'm going to do some testing. I don't think the foglight malfunction comes on unless you switch on the foglight switch itself. So if that's the case we'll we'll just complete cut out the positive and tape a relay into it through the headlights, put a giant resister on the open wire and call it a day.

But technically, you can have a positive and positive tapped together and it won't hurt anything, so if we just directly tape into the fog wires with a relay and have it always on with auto, or run an aftermarket switch into the cabin and you'll be able to turn it on and off as well.
Danny,
You didn't mention it but have you tried exploring the MFD exterior light settings to see what's available to you for settings? I know when I hit the Open button on my key twice the fogs come on (assuming it's dark), so they can come on without rotating the light switch twice.

Regards,
Paul...
Old 07-16-2006 | 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by paulv
Danny,
You didn't mention it but have you tried exploring the MFD exterior light settings to see what's available to you for settings? I know when I hit the Open button on my key twice the fogs come on (assuming it's dark), so they can come on without rotating the light switch twice.

Regards,
Paul...
That is the surrounding light option under convenience setting. Don't recall seeing any setting for them to stay on or come on with headlights in the "AUTO" option.
Old 07-16-2006 | 08:39 PM

03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
That is the surrounding light option under convenience setting. Don't recall seeing any setting for them to stay on or come on with headlights in the "AUTO" option.
OK, sorry for giving you a "false hope". I wonder if a dealer can set this with Star Diags (for a price, no doubt).

Good luck.

Regards,
Paul...
Old 07-18-2006 | 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by paulv
OK, sorry for giving you a "false hope". I wonder if a dealer can set this with Star Diags (for a price, no doubt).

Good luck.

Regards,
Paul...
Fantasy.

The only mechanical way that circuit is completed to illuminate foglights is by pulling the switch out.

Save actually rewiring the car, there is no other way.

Remember, of course, to only pull out to first click, as it's even more dumb to drive with rear foglight lit.