E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2006 E Question(s)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 05:27 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
2006 E Question(s)

I am negotiating the purchase of a 2006 E320CDI to replace my mother's 2003 E320...the CDI has premium package. My questions are whether it is possible to add and the expense (is it prewired) for:
1)Sirius
2)Cell phone to be used with new bluetooth interface (i know i'll need the phone "guts" plus the interface).

Car was purchased by a wealthy customer for European delivery-once the guy returned home from the trip, he traded the car in, so it's only got 4,xxx miles on it.

Also, how grey vs. black is Flint Grey? My mother does not want a "grey car", but the pics i've seen online don't appear grey (no, haven't seen the vehicle in person yet).

Thanks in advance for any answers.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Don't really know about the sat radio but in the ML it must be ordered as a factory option.
The Bluetooth cell phone can be dealer installed and usually is done that way.
Flint gray is more gray than black. I think its attractive and much easier to keep clean.Its sort of a darker silver with less metallic in it.
You will also find the car a bit decontented than the 03. Easy entrance/exit has been eliminated as was the rest feature in the HVAC. But all in all I think you will like it.
As far as the cost of adding that stuff, it would be best to check with the dealer and the best time to do that would be as part of the purchase negotiations.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:50 PM

Received 262 Likes on 168 Posts
My dealer quoted me ~$1,150 for all parts to enable Bluetooth (basically the 'dealer accessory' MHI + Bluetooth transmitter) and ~$300 for labor (3 hours). This is without voice recognition.

Flint Grey is a very standard dark grey. If you don't mind me asking, how much are you buying the CDI for?
Old 07-19-2006, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
My dealer quoted me ~$1,150 for all parts to enable Bluetooth (basically the 'dealer accessory' MHI + Bluetooth transmitter) and ~$300 for labor (3 hours). This is without voice recognition.

Flint Grey is a very standard dark grey. If you don't mind me asking, how much are you buying the CDI for?
The last phone I got from MB cost me lots more than that for the hard wired set up in my 06 ML500 last Sept. However it included the phone itself, does yours?? Seems like their quote is about the going price.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'06 E500, '99 ML430 and '07 SL65
I did some extensive research on that when I was buying my E500. And talking to the various dealers and MBUSA the word was that it was not possible at the time to retrofit satellite to the car. However, MBUSA told be that they are working on a retrofit kit (details here: http://www.overgaardweb.com/dl-files...o%20(SDAR).pdf on how to retrofit) but they told me that the kit was not ready yet. That was about 2 weeks ago. If you look at p4 in the PDF you will see the part numbers and I was told that they had problems with the wireing harness.

As for the phone stuff; the car you are looking at should have the pre-wireing done for you to add a phone kit. The parts for the phone kit, VC and BT will run you about $1800 plus labor. The part numbers are listed here on the last page: http://www.overgaardweb.com/dl-files...stallation.pdf.

-S
Old 07-19-2006, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Contact Steve @www.mbenznl.com re current prices

Steve has Installed SEVERAL Sirius kits in the W211 It CAN and HAS Been Done!

He Installed the Blue tooth set up for the Razr WITh VA aka Voice Control in the wifes W211...All OE MB Parts..Works Great
Old 07-19-2006, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpersn
I am negotiating the purchase of a 2006 E320CDI to replace my mother's 2003 E320...the CDI has premium package. My questions are whether it is possible to add and the expense (is it prewired) for:
1)Sirius
2)Cell phone to be used with new bluetooth interface (i know i'll need the phone "guts" plus the interface).

Car was purchased by a wealthy customer for European delivery-once the guy returned home from the trip, he traded the car in, so it's only got 4,xxx miles on it.

Also, how grey vs. black is Flint Grey? My mother does not want a "grey car", but the pics i've seen online don't appear grey (no, haven't seen the vehicle in person yet).

Thanks in advance for any answers.
1. Sirius (kit now available) and the hands-free system can be installed in MY06, for prices shop several dealers to get the most reasonable installed price. For your mom, I'd recommend a cradle instead of the Bluetooth interface becase she will only need to drop the phone in the cradle to get it to work (it'll keep it charged too). Only get Bluetooth if she's a "geek" otherwise, she'll hate it.

2. Flint Grey is indeed... ...Grey. A very nice grey indeed but if she doesn't like grey, she'll hate Flint.

3. Diesels rule! But... ...Are you sure your mom wants to have to hunt down Diesel stations? If she's one that lets the "light come on" before decideing to refuel, she'll be in for some big time angst (often late at night in areas where you wouldn't want to be in the daytime)!

Just think about these points before jumping in on one good deal. You will likely find a better deal on another gas E car because the supply is so much bigger.

Hope this helps, good luck with your shopping!
Old 07-19-2006, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by MagicO309D
I'd recommend a cradle instead of the Bluetooth interface becase she will only need to drop the phone in the cradle to get it to work (it'll keep it charged too). Only get Bluetooth if she's a "geek" otherwise, she'll hate it.
Don't only archaic and ridiculously expensive phones purchased through MB work in the cradle? As I understand it, the Bluetooth module is the only way to integrate a current/modern cell phone in an MB.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by sosh
The last phone I got from MB cost me lots more than that for the hard wired set up in my 06 ML500 last Sept. However it included the phone itself, does yours?? Seems like their quote is about the going price.
The numbers I quoted are for the bare minimum to enable Bluetooth...just the MHI and Bluetooth module that plugs into it (no voice activation or phone). I'll be using my own Bluetooth phone.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:42 PM

2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
They are asking $50,5, but we will probably settle at 47-48...

Old 07-19-2006, 09:46 PM

1. Sirius (kit now available) and the hands-free system can be installed in MY06, for prices shop several dealers to get the most reasonable installed price. For your mom, I'd recommend a cradle instead of the Bluetooth interface becase she will only need to drop the phone in the cradle to get it to work (it'll keep it charged too). Only get Bluetooth if she's a "geek" otherwise, she'll hate it.

2. Flint Grey is indeed... ...Grey. A very nice grey indeed but if she doesn't like grey, she'll hate Flint.

3. Diesels rule! But... ...Are you sure your mom wants to have to hunt down Diesel stations? If she's one that lets the "light come on" before decideing to refuel, she'll be in for some big time angst (often late at night in areas where you wouldn't want to be in the daytime)!

Just think about these points before jumping in on one good deal. You will likely find a better deal on another gas E car because the supply is so much bigger.

Hope this helps, good luck with your shopping!
Thanks...appreciate everyone's help...glad to know the Sirius kit is now available...couldn't imagine having a dead button on the head unit that could not be activated after delivery.
As for the diesel, yeah, she wants it...talked her into selling her 99 E300TD to get this, and she has yet to forgive me. The only things this car will not have that she now has (I think) are the heating steering wheel, folding rear seatbacks, REST feature, and clamshell armrest (which sucks)...
Old 07-19-2006, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
The numbers I quoted are for the bare minimum to enable Bluetooth...just the MHI and Bluetooth module that plugs into it (no voice activation or phone). I'll be using my own Bluetooth phone.
IF you want it to work, you'll use a phone on Mercedes' list.

THOSE phones will send your phonebook to the dashboard screen.

Difference between factory installed Sirius and dealer installed Sirius is that former has antenna on the roof and latter has antenna on the trunk lid.

BTW, with all the diesel pickups about, there's no problem finding diesel.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:19 PM

Looks like you have it under control. I bought a 190d 2.5 for my mom and she loved it for 12 years!

BTW, Flint is one of the best 211 colors so I'm sure she'll get used to it!
Old 07-20-2006, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by lkchris
IF you want it to work, you'll use a phone on Mercedes' list.

THOSE phones will send your phonebook to the dashboard screen.
While I do have a phone on the list (for now), there's another thread around here with testimonials that plenty of other Bluetooth phones work as well.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:32 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
For your mom, I'd recommend a cradle instead of the Bluetooth interface becase she will only need to drop the phone in the cradle to get it to work (it'll keep it charged too). !
And the reception is better too with the cradle since it incorporates the cars exterior antenna.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
Grey

If she says she doesn't like grey, walk away from it. It IS GREY!!!
Old 07-20-2006, 10:14 AM

2014 E350 4Matic, 2012 Kia Soul+
I've seen flint grey and think it is a great color for the car. Very distinquished. A little less staid than black. I think she will love flint. I hope the inside is charcoal/black. It's a dark color so it will show dirt.

48 sounds like a very good price.

mbenznl.com will take care of sirius and BT, but only if that route is available to you. Many forum members have engaged mbenznl.

I often wish I had gotten the CDI, but at least the V6 gets very good mpg.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:25 AM

Harley-Davidson
Originally Posted by carpersn
I am negotiating the purchase of a 2006 E320CDI to replace my mother's 2003 E320 . . . My mother does not want a "grey car" . . .
Why don't you look for a used CDI in a color that she likes?