E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Down grading Navigation Drive to work with previous version DVD's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 06:06 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Down grading Navigation Drive to work with previous version DVD's

I have a 2005.3 Navigation DVD. I had been to the dealer to test my unit with the 2006.1 Version at some time earlier. it updated the Drive with the new software and now my 2005.3 version does not work anymore. Please does anyone here know if it is possible to flash the Nav drive so that it does not have the updated software and so that it can use the older version DVD? Can this be done in the engineering Menu of the Comand?

Thanks
Old 07-31-2006, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Why not just buy the new version. They are inexpensive and have all the available updates. After all you had them check to see if it would work.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:16 PM
Almost a Member!

$350 is not inexpensive in my book!
Anyone...anybody...No?
Old 08-01-2006, 01:42 PM

Harley-Davidson
I think there is a new version to be released in Sept. or Oct. after which time the 2006.1 version should be readily available (and cheaper) on ebay. You might want to sell your 2005.3 version now, before it turns into a drink coaster.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Almost a Member!

tried already! No one is buying it off ebay! sucks for me!

Does anyone want a 2005.3 DVD? Selling for just $60. Free shipping!
Old 08-01-2006, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by iookpareke
$350 is not inexpensive in my book!
Anyone...anybody...No?
No, its not really expensive.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:17 PM
Almost a Member!

well...it wouldnt be expensive to Bill Gates now would it...But to some yuppie downtown Portland it'd be his/her monthly budget gone on one single DVD!

Anyone have a burned copy?

Trending Topics

Old 08-01-2006, 08:21 PM

Harley-Davidson
Is it even possible to burn a copy? I would think they would be heavily copy-protected.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'06 E500, '99 ML430 and '07 SL65
Originally Posted by cyclerider
Is it even possible to burn a copy? I would think they would be heavily copy-protected.
No, with the right SW you can create an ISO image but you'll need a -R DL DVD burner to create the disk.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

well...it wouldnt be expensive to Bill Gates now would it...But to some yuppie downtown Portland it'd be his/her monthly budget gone on one single DVD!

Anyone have a burned copy?
Come on now, $350 bucks for a disc in a 50000 plus car?? Perhaps you are driving the wrong car bet you purchased very used. Burned DVD?? now you want to steal the data and it most likely will not work. You are a bottom feeder!!
Old 08-02-2006, 09:18 AM

Harley-Davidson
Originally Posted by sosh
Come on now, $350 bucks for a disc in a 50000 plus car?? Perhaps you are driving the wrong car bet you purchased very used. Burned DVD?? now you want to steal the data and it most likely will not work. . .
I agree it is wrong to steal the data. He has an '03 E320 with EURO COMAND and NAV DVD Drive which he installed by himself, probably purchased on ebay where he also bought his used 2005.3 version DVD. I think it is OK for him to try to add features to his car himself to save money. He is obviously on a budget and has learned that do-it-yourself projects can, and often do, cost much more than originally planned. He should wait for a used 2006.1 version on ebay, and not publicly solicit the theft of copyrighted material.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cyclerider
I agree it is wrong to steal the data. He has an '03 E320 with EURO COMAND and NAV DVD Drive which he installed by himself, probably purchased on ebay where he also bought his used 2005.3 version DVD. I think it is OK for him to try to add features to his car himself to save money. He is obviously on a budget and has learned that do-it-yourself projects can, and often do, cost much more than originally planned. He should wait for a used 2006.1 version on ebay, and not publicly solicit the theft of copyrighted material.
He is the definitive bottom feeder, lives off of the discards of others. Car probobly has a salvage title. Nothing wrong with saving money but he seems like the kind of guy who will negotiate the purchase of a stick of gum. Had the dealer take his time to check the new DVD then did not purchase it and wants to "steal" a copy but only after he puts $60 in his pocket from the sale of a used DVD that most likely came with the unit he bought used. Have absolutly no time for people like that. He does not value his time at all but then its most likely worth nothing.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:22 PM
Almost a Member!

Sosh...Your Father is a bottom feeder!! Yes.... he feeds out of my *ss!! infact your whole family are bottom feeders! They live off the discards of my yummy *ss! Infact...for chrismas I bet you all share a stick of gum...which fell out of my *ss. And then still spit it out to save it for the next christmas! Friggin Lunatic!

You dont know me...you dont need to talk to me like you know me!
What makes you think it is right to voice your blatantly stupid opinion on a public forum? You really need guidance in your life!

For your info....yes..I decided to do everything myself! And No it did not cost more than I anticipated! If you dont know the answer to the forum question or you are not going to be of any help just shove your opinion and your pitiful little pr*ck up your *ss.

Last edited by iookpareke; 08-02-2006 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sosh...Your Father is a bottom feeder!! Yes.... he feeds out of my *ss!! infact your whole family are bottom feeders!

You dont know me...you dont need to talk to me like you know me!
What makes you think it is right to voice your blatantly stupid opinion on a public forum? You really need guidance in your life!

For your info....yes..I decided to do everything myself! And No it did not cost more than I anticipated! I just dont see why I should buy a DVD for $350 when in 2 months an updated version worth another $350 will be out. Dude keep your opinions to yourself. If you dont know the answer to the forum question or you are not going to be of any help just shove your opinion and your pitiful little pr*ck up your *ss.
Thats just what I expected to hear from you. You had already shown your true colors as a bottom feeder, now you are cementing them into place. Your rational is just what people like you do in a response. You are the one that suggested on a public forum to do an illegal act. Actually you are not only a bottom feeder but also what is known as a nickle rocket.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:31 PM
Almost a Member!

Yea I know...Sounds just like resentment for your pops to me!! You should be directing that anger towards him! Ofcourse its expected. I have to tell people like you how daft they really are. That is my cause!

There are countless threads on this forum about Burning the NAV DVD's yet you are the only mindless drone that comes up with silly remarks. Like i said shove it. You are just a little man! An outcast, rejected and lonely, trying to flex some muscle anonymously!
Old 08-02-2006, 04:06 PM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
Gentlemen...

Please.. let's keep things civil and impersonal.

iookpareke:

I'm sure you've already figured out how most of us feel about what is generally considered "Piracy".. we're not very keen on the idea. Sorry.

I think your best bet would be to go back to the dealer, explain the situation, ask the original question, and see what they say. Perhaps, with a little negotiation, they'd agree to exchange your NAV unit for one on a pre-owned, earlier model car, or some other creative solution; or maybe offer a discount on a current DVD since, technically, their DVD inadvertently rendered your 2005.3 DVD unusable.

sosh:

Let's take off the gloves. I respect your passion on this issue and agree with your sentiment, however, as iookpareke states, it does not answer the question.

To answer the questions:

As far as reflashing the NAV.. ..hmm.. I recall a key sequence (1,3,8 comes to mind) used for software updates, but I'm not sure if it works for updating the NAV. Even if it does, I don't think it'll revert to an earlier version.

Regarding burning a copy of the NAV disc - yes, it is possible. I've done it. I have fully functional backup copies of both of my NAV DVDs. I used NERO 7 to copy the disc.

GL.

Last edited by Miguk_Saram; 08-02-2006 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:09 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks Miguk. And about piracy..... All I asked was if anyone had a burned copy. I wanted them to sell me the original! Please dont use that as a reason to justify sosh's arguments because there just isnt any viable one!

To more important issues....
I will try the key combo you suggested!

I have tried reasoning with the dealer but has yielded no results. I would not succumb to their capitalist agenda!

Since you have a burned copy is it 2006.1? I'll PM you.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:12 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks Miguk. And about piracy..... All I asked was if anyone had a burned copy. I wanted them to sell me the original! Please dont use that as a reason to justify sosh's arguments because there just isnt any viable one!

To more important issues....
I will try the key combo you suggested!

I have tried reasoning with the dealer but has yielded no results. I would not succumb to their capitalist agenda!

Since you have a burned copy is it 2006.1? I'll PM you.

I agree with you 100%.. about the whole DVD for 350 bucks.. who cares, we all have money obviously.. but to me.. I cant in no way justify spending 350 bucks on a ****ing disk..

Does anyone know why the hell they cost soo much? maybe because they know they can?

anyways man.. how do u like ur eurocommand? I want that **** soo bad.. You would think that u can just get in the command in the us version and **** around with it.. but I knw the US gave benz a extremely hard time making sure they take that **** right off.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'06 E500, '99 ML430 and '07 SL65
What I am not sure that I understand is why you are stuck with the problem! From what I have read the dealer put in the DVD that caused the problem. Why is he not working on fixeing this issue....he caused it.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
you guys are way to hard on iookpareke. Cut the kid some slack.

iookpareke,
If I could add or suggest something I would. Good luck on your search and fix for your navigation system.

~evan
Old 08-03-2006, 08:51 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks...Looks like the best of people like you, 2manytoys, can't solve this so i've decided to buy the DVD.

Thanks guyz!
Old 08-03-2006, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks...Looks like the best of people like you, 2manytoys, can't solve this so i've decided to buy the DVD.

Thanks guyz!
Wow!!! Are you going to finance this purchase???
Old 08-04-2006, 02:23 PM
Almost a Member!

Yea I am! Just like you financed your brain! And while I am at it...I may just look at getting me some warranty too...like your wife needs for her damaged goods! friggin lunatic!
Old 08-04-2006, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Founder

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 GT R Pro, 2019 GT3 RS, 2018 GT3 Touring
Get this thread back on topic please!
Old 08-05-2006, 06:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E220 CDI (W211)
It's possible to make backup copies of the NAVTEQ DVDs (they are not copyprotected).
I've made backup copies of my Euro Map discs (version 4.0, 4.1 and 5.0) with Nero and they all work fine.
I believe it should work as well for the US Map discs.
Keep in mind though that DVD+R is the best media (DVD-R discs don't perform that well - they usually take longer to load or just fail to load). DVD+R copies perform just as well as the original discs. The same thing goes for the MP3 DVD discs on the headunit (always use DVD+R!!)