E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Replacing Rear Bumper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 05:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E500
Question Replacing Rear Bumper

I have a 2006 E500 w/ sport pkg (built sometime 03/06) and unfortunately had a little miss-hap and need to replace the rear bumper. It's been in and out of the body shop now for 3-4 weeks. First they ordered a non-sport bumper that only had the cutout for one muffler instead of 2. Then it took them forever to get a sport bumper for my car. Now they tell me that the bumper requires 3 moldings instead of 1 (from the old bumper) and that the mounting covers for the muffler are the wrong size (my originals) for the new bumper and they need to order them as well. The quote has gone from $1068 to $1600-$1700.

The guy at the shop says that MB has changed the "style" of the bumper (though he insists that it looks he same, it's just how it mounts to the car - though 3 molding vs. 1 doesn't sound like it's the same style). Does this sound right that a car with a build date 4 months ago, already has new changed parts for the bumper and that the original bumpers as made for my car are no longer available? The whole thing sounds like BS to me.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harley-Davidson
Sorry to hear of your "little mishap". I hope someone else is responsible and is paying for the damage.

Could the body shop be looking at new 2007 parts? They are different than your 2006. M-B is claiming the front and rear bumpers are both new this year.

I feel your pain. I had to replace the front bumper and grill on my 2005 when something fell off a freight truck on the freeway. I don't even own that car anymore, and I still feel bad about the damage.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:07 PM

2006 E500
Originally Posted by cyclerider
Sorry to hear of your "little mishap". I hope someone else is responsible and is paying for the damage.

Could the body shop be looking at new 2007 parts? They are different than your 2006. M-B is claiming the front and rear bumpers are both new this year.

I feel your pain. I had to replace the front bumper and grill on my 2005 when something fell off a freight truck on the freeway. I don't even own that car anymore, and I still feel bad about the damage.
No. Unfortunatley I backed up into my mom's car when pulling out of the driveway. I wasn't going very fast (3-5 MPH)...and the damage isn't too bad...but it's noticeable...and I just want to replace it to restore it to the "new" look. Should have bought the parktronic...but that's ANOTHER topic!!!

I've talked to the body shop guy multiple times. Told him to make sure to get the right bumper. Went over the whole Shpiel when he originally ordered the first bumper sans the notching for the "sport" second muffler, and they had to re-order. They only convinced themselves it was the WRONG bumper when they cut a notch for the second muffler, painted it and everything, and then tried to mount it and it didn't fit! Duh! I told him the bumper was OEM in the first place and shouldn't have needed to have a notch cut-out for the 2nd muffler.

I guess I'll wait to see it, but if it's NOT right and it looks different, I think I'm going to make them re-do it again.

Does anyone know what the correct MB part # is for an '06 E500 sport pkg bumper? Where do you look to find out this info? All of the parts sites I see don't show bumpers for this car at all (at least not for 2006).
Old 08-01-2006, 08:18 PM

Harley-Davidson
That really sucks! Parktronic probably wouldn't have helped at 3-5 MPH anyway. You wouldn't have had enough warning. It is best when you are just creeping forward or backward.

How is Mom's car? At least she won't sue you, like strangers often will. Best of luck with the body shop. I hope all works out well.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:28 PM

2006 E500
That really sucks! Parktronic probably wouldn't have helped at 3-5 MPH anyway. You wouldn't have had enough warning. It is best when you are just creeping forward or backward.

How is Mom's car? At least she won't sue you, like strangers often will. Best of luck with the body shop. I hope all works out well.
There was NO noticeable damage to her car at all (old '95? Camry). I may have been driving slower than 3-5. The only damage to my bumper was where the plastic got pinched enough that the "skin" broke. There isn't any denting at all.

Last edited by gvaughn; 08-01-2006 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:33 PM

Harley-Davidson
Originally Posted by gvaughn
. . . The only damage to my bumper was where the plastic got pinched enough that the "skin" broke. There isn't any denting at all.
When they fixed the nose on my 2005, they just replaced the plastic cover on the bumper and repainted it. I wonder why you need a new bumper?
Old 08-01-2006, 09:42 PM

2006 E500
When they fixed the nose on my 2005, they just replaced the plastic cover on the bumper and repainted it. I wonder why you need a new bumper?
I'm not really familiar with the different parts so I can't say for sure what is damaged and what needs fixed. I assume from your post, you mean that the outer shell is one piece and there's an inner foam bumper or something? They just replaced the plastic shell?

I got 2 quotes and they both said they would need to replace the bumper (one also gave me an alternative choice to re-condition the bumper but it would only have saved me like $100).

Here's a pic of the damage:
Attached Thumbnails Replacing Rear Bumper-bumper-damage.jpg  
Old 08-02-2006, 09:41 PM

2006 E500
It seems after to talking to them further it is indeed the rear bumper cover. However, they said the part number shown on the back of the cover is: 2118800983, but that MB says that part number doesn't exist. The only thing I could find online with this part number is this but this is the wrong year and NOT a sport pkg.

It seems as if the guy at the shop has decided they got the wrong bumper cover yet again though, since he told me that they have now looked at 3 different bumper covers and none of them are right. Based on the VIN number they're not sure how to proceed since they're told there are only 3 possible choices and none are correct (after trying). I don't really understand how this can be such a problem. Is it possible that my bumper could somehow be made from non-standard parts (i.e. European model rather USA model or something similar) since it was probably made in the last month or so of 2006 MY production and maybe they were using up excess inventory? This whole thing is frustrating and bizarre as it seems I have a phantom bumper on my car.

I'm starting to think this is something I should elevate with an MBUSA rep and let them figure out what's going on and what the appropriate part for my vehicle is. I'm guessing that the problem lies somewhere in the VIN number, and they're too reliant on the VIN number for proper parts identification, rather than just identifying the specifics of the model I have and getting the right bumper based on that. A previous VIN number discrepency occurred on my wife's previous Honda Accord. When we would switch insurance companies and provide the VIN numbers I would constantly be told that I was providing an incorrect VIN number and that I should re-check it. But the problem was really due to an error in the database they used.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,448 Likes on 3,155 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by gvaughn
I have a 2006 E500 w/ sport pkg (built sometime 03/06) and unfortunately had a little miss-hap and need to replace the rear bumper. It's been in and out of the body shop now for 3-4 weeks. First they ordered a non-sport bumper that only had the cutout for one muffler instead of 2. Then it took them forever to get a sport bumper for my car. Now they tell me that the bumper requires 3 moldings instead of 1 (from the old bumper) and that the mounting covers for the muffler are the wrong size (my originals) for the new bumper and they need to order them as well. The quote has gone from $1068 to $1600-$1700.

The guy at the shop says that MB has changed the "style" of the bumper (though he insists that it looks he same, it's just how it mounts to the car - though 3 molding vs. 1 doesn't sound like it's the same style). Does this sound right that a car with a build date 4 months ago, already has new changed parts for the bumper and that the original bumpers as made for my car are no longer available? The whole thing sounds like BS to me.
Check with a certified shop: http://www.mbusa.com/care/service/collision-centers.do
Old 08-03-2006, 10:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
They should do it by VIN. If your VIN is off, you need to get that fixed. Telling the dude the style is not right to do. Is it at an MB shop? Any good shop would know exactly what part is needed and how to get it. There is but one real database. You had better make sure you are getting MB parts and not a copy.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:11 AM

2006 E500
Thanks guys.

The center where my car was taken to is NOT listed on the MBUSA website for certified collision centers. HOWEVER, they have a plaque on their wall that says they ARE an MB certified center. I will be calling MBUSA to verify. I'm guessing they were and are no longer and have not taken down the certification sign - which would be fraudulent if they're no longer.

To top it off, the dealership where I got my car IS listed as a certified center (CL certified infact, which is the better certification) but they have been referring me to this other shop.

I'm going out of town for 2 weeks, but will definitely be following up with MBUSA regarding certification. I'm also going to find out why the dealership that IS certified is referring me rather than doing it themselves.

I'm also guessing there is a VIN problem, but I don't know how to fix that. I guess I'll have to call an MBUSA rep and try to sort this out with them. see if they can identify what the VIN says and see if it jives with what it REALLY is.

I'll post more details after I get back and get some answers.

BTW...can anyone recommend a good collision center in So Cal that they have been to and were very satisfied with their work?