Horrible FM reception after Comand software upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Horrible FM reception after Comand software upgrade

I had my Comand upgraded a while ago to allow MP3 playback capability. Ever since then, my FM reception has been just God awful. I took my car to the dealer to have the B+ service and had them investigate the FM signal issue. They say there is nothing wrong and every audio component is operating as it should be, including the FM signal amplifier. They're blaming it on my window tint. This is the same window tint that was there before the Comand was upgraded and the FM signal was fine.

It's also hard for them to diagnose as the dealer is in a metro area where FM signals are strong.

Any ideas?

The update performed to allow MP3 playback was:

DTB - 82.60/382
Published 9/20/2004

Last edited by Benz-O-Rama; 08-01-2006 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:01 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
I had my Comand upgraded a while ago to allow MP3 playback capability. Ever since then, my FM reception has been just God awful. I took my car to the dealer to have the B+ service and had them investigate the FM signal issue. They say there is nothing wrong and every audio component is operating as it should be, including the FM signal amplifier. They're blaming it on my window tint. This is the same window tint that was there before the Comand was upgraded and the FM signal was fine.

It's also hard for them to diagnose as the dealer is in a metro area where FM signals are strong.

Any ideas?

The update performed to allow MP3 playback was:

DTB - 82.60/382
Published 9/20/2004
Coud they have used the European update which (I believe) shifts the FM frequncies..
Old 08-01-2006, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ATS
Coud they have used the European update which (I believe) shifts the FM frequncies..

Possibly. It's not out of the question. The update done was DTB - 82.60/382
Published 9/20/2004.

Not quite sure the specifics on it. I'm gonna research the particulars of the update.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
1) US comands do not take ECE comand update discs...ECE comands do not take US comand update discs - so whatever software has been used - it was the right one

2) the comand is a display with a disc drive - that is all...nothing more, nothing less.
Your radio receiver is located in the trunk and uses the comand as a DISPLAY...upgrading the comand software does not change anything in any of the other control units (such as the radio receiver) at all

greetingz,
Old 08-01-2006, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBenzNL
1) US comands do not take ECE comand update discs...ECE comands do not take US comand update discs - so whatever software has been used - it was the right one

2) the comand is a display with a disc drive - that is all...nothing more, nothing less.
Your radio receiver is located in the trunk and uses the comand as a DISPLAY...upgrading the comand software does not change anything in any of the other control units (such as the radio receiver) at all

greetingz,

Thanks for the clarification, Steve.

It must be coincedence that the FM reception went into a degraded state after the software update. I know this is ghetto, but is there anyway to install an aftermarket FM booster in this car? Anyone ever done that?

Last edited by Benz-O-Rama; 08-02-2006 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
fm reception

Guaranteed that they did something to your reception. Stay on them. These are excellent radios and do not need a booster. The problem is that the service people don't understand the radio systems. Get the dealer to call in tech help. Unless they disconnected a wire or a splitter or other component went bad, it is more than likely a software issue. You might need a re-flash of the audiogateway. Tell them to start from scratch. Don't be intimidated and don't let them tell you it is from the tinting.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
I had my Comand upgraded a while ago to allow MP3 playback capability. Ever since then, my FM reception has been just God awful. They say there is nothing wrong and every audio component is operating as it should be, including the FM signal amplifier. They're blaming it on my window tint. This is the same window tint that was there before the Comand was upgraded and the FM signal was fine. Any ideas?
Turn the car off, pull out fuse #6, wait several minutes and re-install. For some reason this has worked on a number of varying audio and COMAND problems. Not certain if this will clear it but it’s worth a try.

As long as we’re talking audio if you have Logic 7 (W211 03 through 05) mention DTB P-B-82.62/387 SEPT04 Interference Noise from Loudspeakers and Poor Sound in Surround Mode. Addresses poor or interference noises from loudspeakers; poor sound while in Logic 7 Mode in all audio sources (i.e.: radio, CD); detected especially when the fader is applied to rear - if the interference is no longer audible when switched back to a different sound mode (i.e.: standard) the AGW / Sahara version need to be updated.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by konigstiger
Turn the car off, pull out fuse #6, wait several minutes and re-install. For some reason this has worked on a number of varying audio and COMAND problems. Not certain if this will clear it but it’s worth a try.

As long as we’re talking audio if you have Logic 7 (W211 03 through 05) mention DTB P-B-82.62/387 SEPT04 Interference Noise from Loudspeakers and Poor Sound in Surround Mode. Addresses poor or interference noises from loudspeakers; poor sound while in Logic 7 Mode in all audio sources (i.e.: radio, CD); detected especially when the fader is applied to rear - if the interference is no longer audible when switched back to a different sound mode (i.e.: standard) the AGW / Sahara version need to be updated.

Konig...

As usual, you are a pethora of knowledge. I'll give it shot. Thanks!!!

That's right.....I said plethora