E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

New E550 and Starmark extended warranty questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New E550 and Starmark extended warranty questions

I am new to this forum, and I just pulled the trigger on a E550 (Blk/Blk, PII, Panorama, Sport). I am very happy with it. I am still debating whether to get the factory extended warranty. Some questions for the forum:

1. I am upgrading from a C-320 coupe that had an extended factory warranty, and the finance person at the dealership I bought it from told me I could not cancel the C-class warranty without losing money (as much as 50%) even though the warranty has never taken effect (the car is still under original warranty). I was told the only way to get back all my money is to wait until the whole 100,000 miles or 7 years have expired without making a claim. This sounds like a bad deal, and it makes me not want to get the extended warranty on my new car in case I decide to sell it 3 years from now (I am not sure about how long I will keep it yet).

2. Are these starmark warranties ever discounted? The finance guy where I bought my E550 (different from the dealer in question #1 above) will only sell at full price.

3. I am selling my c-coupe. Is it worthwhile to offer it to the next owner even at a loss? I am afraid I will be asked to "throw it in" as part of the bargaining, but I don't really want to discount it since I could potentially get all the money back in 4 more years.

4. Anybody else out there with a 550?
Old 08-21-2006, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
I went with http://www.warrantydirect.com/ instead of MB for the exteneded warranty.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:40 PM

Harley-Davidson
Congrats on your new E550. Don't forget to post some pictures.

You don't have to decide about the extended warranty right now. Anytime during your 4 year-50,000 mile warranty coverage, you can purchase the M-B Extended Warranty. You already mentioned that you might not keep the car for an extended period of time. I would wait until the original warranty was almost gone before I decided.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:00 PM

3rd party warranty.

Originally Posted by KosherBenz
I went with http://www.warrantydirect.com/ instead of MB for the exteneded warranty.

Thanks for the tip. However, I am only looking at factory warranties right now. I have had some bad experiences with 3rd party.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by goodcat
Thanks for the tip. However, I am only looking at factory warranties right now. I have had some bad experiences with 3rd party.
I think there is a financial benefit for purchasing a warranty earlier. In the Washington DC area, the dealers I called say if the warranty is purchased after first 12 months or 13,000 miles there is a 10 % surcharge. I was offered the warranty for $4120 if purchased less than 12 months/less than 13,000 miles since the car was purchased.

If you are interested, call (301) 890 3030 Rocky Brookes.

Having the warranty on your C-class should make it a lot easier to sell your car. For the person purchasing it, it's almost like purchaing a certified car. I am sure you can charge a premium for it.

I would get the warranty for the E550 if I were you and go for the 7-year 100K mile option. It will give you peace of mind.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by goodcat
I am still debating whether to get the factory extended warranty.
MBUSA Extended Warranty info: http://www.mbusa.com/care/warranty/extended-limited.do

A number of forum members recommend Warranty Direct, as mentioned by KosherBenz, rather than the MB extended warranty. I understand the WD warranty is refundable on the portion you don’t use.

For a while Courtesy Motors – Chico, CA was offering considerable discounts on MBUSA Extended Warranties however, I’m not sure if they continue to do so. Lisa Lehrbaum was the contact there @ 800-655-3535, 530-893-1300, or you can try lisamariechico@yahoo.com – might be worth a shot if you decide to go with MB.

Best of luck.