Car turns off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 02:10 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E500, 1987 560SL
Car turns off

Has this happened to anyone? I turn the ignition to turn on the car and it turns over for a second and turns off. It then says "error message." I switch the car off and turn it again and it is fine. The console then says "no message". This has happened twice in the last 2 months to me and I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if I should bring the car in. Any input will be appreciated, thanks.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
I really have nothing to say. I just wanted to post underneath your sig pic.

Seriously though, you definately want to take your car in. Something sounds wrong here. What happens if you're away from home next time it happens and it doesn't start at all.

You may want to contact member Konigstiger on this board. He knows everything there is to know about recalls, service campaings etc on these cars. My guess is he'll probably chime in on this thread but if not, PM him.

Last edited by Benz-O-Rama; 08-22-2006 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
I really have nothing to say. I just wanted to post underneath your sig pic.
Don't forget the avatar.

Ditto to what Benz-O-Rama said.

Last edited by AsianML; 08-22-2006 at 03:25 PM. Reason: wrong smiley
Old 08-22-2006, 02:58 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 E500, 1987 560SL
Originally Posted by AsianML
Don't forget the avatar.

Ditto to what Benz-O-Rama said.

I'll take those posts as compliments. Thanks guys.

But seriously, I just want to know if this has been a problem for others as well and what they did about it. I just hate taking the car in to the dealership if I don't have to.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by Ggirl
I'll take those posts as compliments. Thanks guys.

But seriously, I just want to know if this has been a problem for others as well and what they did about it. I just hate taking the car in to the dealership if I don't have to.

It was a compliment....you're welcome.

I've never had that problem nor have I ever heard of that problem on this forum. Granted, I'm only a 5 month member but I'm on here alot and it's not ringing a bell.

Did you PM Konigstiger? I'm telling you, this guy is the end-all for information on weird stuff like this. Give him a shout. Super nice and I guarantee he'll point you in the right direction.

And I can't end this without saying in my best Chris Tucker voice

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!
Old 08-22-2006, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E320
when you say the car turns off....does that include all electrical functions of the car? if so....it could be your battery control module or voltage regulator starting to go bad, which is part of a recall campaign. just taking a wild stab here so I could be wrong. as someone said...PM Konigstiger since he has heaps of info.

btw....your sig pic is making time at work that more enjoyable!
Old 08-22-2006, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Has this happened to anyone? I turn the ignition to turn on the car and it turns over for a second and turns off. It then says "error message." I switch the car off and turn it again and it is fine. The console then says "no message". This has happened twice in the last 2 months to me and I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if I should bring the car in. Any input will be appreciated, thanks.
Have you got keyless go?
Old 08-22-2006, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
how often does it do this? I had similar probs with low key batt. they use 2 i think now, and 4 bucks a piece. Might try that first. Also, can you scroll thru a list of error messages? it should retain the error in your MF display. If not, dealer might be able to pull another code.

Last edited by Brav; 08-22-2006 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:32 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 E500, 1987 560SL
Originally Posted by Brav
how often does it do this? I had similar probs with low key batt. they use 2 i think now, and 4 bucks a piece. Might try that first. Also, can you scroll thru a list of error messages? it should retain the error in your MF display.
Hey Chris. What's up? Yeah, when I turn the key again and the car turns on, I scrolled through the error messages and it says "no messages". You may be right about the key battery. I notice it may be running out. I will go change the battery and see. I guess I will just have to bring it in.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey Chris. What's up? Yeah, when I turn the key again and the car turns on, I scrolled through the error messages and it says "no messages". You may be right about the key battery. I notice it may be running out. I will go change the battery and see. I guess I will just have to bring it in.
Long time no see I edited my post after you replied- might see if someone at the BBQ this weekend can check it out with stardiagnose. Less hassle than going to dealer for somethign so simple. If you havent signed up for the BBQ, well, youre going anyway. Sorry.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:51 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 E500, 1987 560SL
Originally Posted by Brav
Long time no see I edited my post after you replied- might see if someone at the BBQ this weekend can check it out with stardiagnose. Less hassle than going to dealer for somethign so simple. If you havent signed up for the BBQ, well, youre going anyway. Sorry.
Sorry, I would have loved go to the BBQ but I have a wedding in Bel Air I have to attend. I didn't even know about it until this morning.

If it's the battery, I can just go to Fletcher and go to the parts dept and get some new batteries. They usually give them to me for free. It's a chick thing I guess.....

I PM-ed Koningstiger.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
I turn the ignition to turn on the car and it turns over for a second and turns off. It then says "error message." I switch the car off and turn it again and it is fine. The console then says "no message".
Try using your second key. If the problem persists with both keys change out the batteries as suggested since you mentioned you noticed your battery is running low and visit the dealership. Mention the following bulletin. Even if this is not your particular problem, it will add credibility to your complaint given it happens intermittently.

P-B-15.30/55a DEC05 (W211 - All Model Years) Engine Not Starting / Starter Fuse Malfunctioning. The Starter Fuse in the Driver Signal Actuation Module (SAM) may be malfunctioning. The Driver SAM should be fitted with a larger 20 Amp fuse (part # N072581 000306).
Old 08-22-2006, 06:06 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 E500, 1987 560SL
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Try using your second key. If the problem persists with both keys change out the batteries as suggested since you mentioned you noticed your battery is running low and visit the dealership. Mention the following bulletin. Even if this is not your particular problem, it will add credibility to your complaint given it happens intermittently.

P-B-15.30/55a DEC05 (W211 - All Model Years) Engine Not Starting / Starter Fuse Malfunctioning. The Starter Fuse in the Driver Signal Actuation Module (SAM) may be malfunctioning. The Driver SAM should be fitted with a larger 20 Amp fuse (part # N072581 000306).

Thanks! Will do!
Old 08-22-2006, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry, I would have loved go to the BBQ but I have a wedding in Bel Air I have to attend. I didn't even know about it until this morning.

If it's the battery, I can just go to Fletcher and go to the parts dept and get some new batteries. They usually give them to me for free. It's a chick thing I guess.....

I PM-ed Koningstiger.
Its definately a chick thing. I got nailed for 80 bucks!!!! "Labor"

Hope you get it resolved. And if you havent been in recently, you probably have some recalls to take care of too. Might call in and check. I had 3..

See you around terrorizing Irvine
Old 08-22-2006, 07:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
Take the batteries out of the key and start the engine... what happens?

Get it to the dealer to have them look at it. I know this sounds crazy, but do you use the Tip Start? I have seen some instances where if the key is tipped too rapidly it will not keep the starter engaged. Just a few ideas.. I have never used that above posted bulletin.

Next time it says "error message," leave the key in position 2 after it screws up. Then use the arrow keys on the multifunction wheel to try and display the message. If you cycle the key, it will go away so don't do that.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
After a fender bender I was in, my car was difficult to start, and sounds similiar to what you are experiencing. If I didn't hold the tip start long enough, it would try to start, but would not complete. Funny thing was that it was not caused by the fender bender itself, but "fixing" the fender bender. Along with a litany of other things that they fixed during this service, they fixed the problem.

As suggested, tell them that "tip start" is not working as expected.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
I just hate taking the car in to the dealership if I don't have to.
For a new year's resolution or something, you should work on this attitude.

It's the 21st century and Mercedes are EXTREMELY high tech cars and attempting to live without your dealer is very foolhardy.

They'll be nice to you if you're nice to them--just like everywhere else in life.

They probably even have a suggestion box.

PS: Clearly if car is misbehaving it should be taken to dealership. How could there be an alternative?