E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Considering 2003 C32, CLK55 or E500 over my 01 GS430, help!! Few ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 Lexus GS430
Considering 2003 C32, CLK55 or E500 over my 01 GS430, help!! Few ??

Hey guys, I own 01 GS430 with 100k miles and thinking of selling it and getting 2003 C32, CLK55 or E500. I know BMW and MB have more problems then Lexus is what I hear from friends. But I love the style of the new E-class and always loved the quality of materials they use inside. My family owned 96 S500, damn I loved that car, it was built and felt like a tank, new S class is amazing and the previous model is great, but not like the 96 model, they got more buttons but not as solid as the older S class. Anyway, getting off topic here, nothing beats the sound of german car doors like MB or BMW espacially, make when they close!! I owned 3 Acuras, 2 Maximas, BMW 323i was my car before my GS. And nothing drove and felt better then german car and the way it was made. I got the Lexus for the reliability factor, but I have little ennoying problems with it, that seems not go away, thats another story. The GS is fast, but feels like a boat on the road. The way its made is ok, but not like MB or BMW quality of materials used, I am not that impressed tell you the truth. I am getting Tein CS coilovers and replacing bushings now with Daizen to stiffen up the suspension. If this will not satisfy me, I will sell all the parts and the car.

I was thinking of getting Silver 2003 C32, CLK55 or E500 with 35k miles (BMW M3 or 745i are a bit more, but I never own the MB cars, so I want give them a try). I think E-class looks better then CLK, but CLK is still very beautiful but does not look as aggressive as the older model. How is that year for these cars.? That was the first year for the E-class. What problems I should be expecting? I need some feedback from current owners of these cars. How reliable are they?
Old 08-26-2006, 10:06 PM

'13 E550 W4
I love the style and lines of the newer E. Its timeless. Some minor glitches in the braking systems 03-06, but other than that, its the best car out there. Get the new E550 if you can, tons of HP and new braking systems. Minor mods will make the car pop as well, like window tint, new rims, and SAT. Would also highly recommend the keyless go feature.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
Steer clear of an '03 W211...glitches in electrical/electronics.

I vote for the Clk55 just for raw power, and sportiness.

Next I vote for the M3 but that would be my write-in candidate since its not on your ballot. So it would have to be the C32 as a stong second.

03 E500.....no way. Only W211's worth owning IMO are the CDI and E55/E63.

Last edited by cdiken; 08-26-2006 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:32 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Way. I've got an '03 E500 and it's been reliable so far, tho we only have 25K on it. In three years we've had only one problem that kept it in the garage more than one day (bad wheel speed sensor, replacement came from Germany). I probably wouldn't get another one, but that's because there are more attractive alternatives out there now than there were in 9/03, not because it hasn't been worth owning.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:07 AM

Not to cause an outbreak here, but I would avoid a 2003 e500 and go with the clk55. It's a damn fast car that can be obtained for some very attractive prices. I would take back the upgraded suspension kit for the lexus and use that as a down payment, nothing is going to help the lexus handle better!
I looked at that exact same car (01 gs430) while I was thinking about buying my e430. Trust me, you wont miss the lexus!
Old 08-27-2006, 12:22 AM

01 Lexus GS430
I love the new CLK inside materials used and updated interior and center column.. 2003 CLK and C-class interior is a bit plain compairing to E-class.. What would hold more value CLK55 or C32 in your opinion, CLK55 is very hard to find, so I assume its the CLK.. I need to see pics of moded with nice wheels, H&R drop, etc.. How does it feel stock compared to M3? would be more money though and I don't want stick, but I kind of always dreamed to have M3, maybe next car after MB.. Do you need few mods to make CLK55 handle like M3; sways, braces, springs shocks or coilovers? By the way does Tein or Bilstein make coilovers for CLK55?
Old 08-27-2006, 12:30 AM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
I will echo many of the other posts and strongly avoid any '03 W211. Mine was rather problematic. I'd rather have an M3 over the other cars you mentioned but I do like the CLK55.

As far as Lexus is concerned - nothing they currently offer really excites me but my previous experience with Lexus was outstanding. When/if the IS500 comes out that could be my next car.

GL on your decision.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:49 AM

2003 E500
I tried out a '03 C32 when looking around. I have a 03 E500 and my wife has a 02CLK420 with the AMG package.

I really liked the speed of the C32, but found I didn't fit in it well and it's a pretty harsh ride to deal with every day. I've got 50" shoulders and my elbow would hit the door as well.

The E500 is nice and comfy, handles ok (CLK420 handles better on country 2 lane roads). I've got a 2 lane road 60 mile commute each day and the E500 works well on it, I tend to change suspension settings during the ride though.

For the CLK, I think the ride is better in that class that the C32, but it's still stiff for me.

The E500 is what I decided on in the end: comfy, different suspension settings, and looks really good. The only thing I wish I had gotten was all the bells and whistles. Also, I wish I had more power, but not at the expense of driving the C32.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by dlomonosov
I love the new CLK inside materials used and updated interior and center column.. 2003 CLK and C-class interior is a bit plain compairing to E-class.. What would hold more value CLK55 or C32 in your opinion, CLK55 is very hard to find, so I assume its the CLK.. I need to see pics of moded with nice wheels, H&R drop, etc.. How does it feel stock compared to M3? would be more money though and I don't want stick, but I kind of always dreamed to have M3, maybe next car after MB.. Do you need few mods to make CLK55 handle like M3; sways, braces, springs shocks or coilovers? By the way does Tein or Bilstein make coilovers for CLK55?

Suprisingly, neither version of the clk holds it's value very well, which is why you'll find such a great value used. Of the two, I would consider the clk 55 to be longer-lasting, simply due to the fact that it's all motor power unlike the supercharged c32. If you love the E-class ( I do) and want that kind of car I would consider 01-02 e430's or an 04-05 e500. The first year of the new E-class (2003) is almost legendary for repair issues.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:40 PM

2014 E350 4Matic, 2012 Kia Soul+
I'm with you. I had two Lexi over about 5 years. Very reliable. Good car. Comfortable, but I always thought the W211 E Class looked better and the inside was done with more finesse than Lexus. I always thought it was warmer and richer feeling than my LS Ultra's. Now I'm in an 06 E and wish I switched a long time ago. Yeah, I had a couple of minor problems that were promptly fixed correctly by the dealer. I don't mind.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:40 PM

01 Lexus GS430
good stiff, bimmer like, I do not mind, I just like the E-class looks wise more then CLK, i think previous CLK model looked more agressive, C32 is nice and small but does not look that much different from regular c class, but it is fast and built well.. I do agree that Lexus is nice and reliable but still feels like a Toyota in a lot of ways and lacks that attention on detail, materials used, the way doors close compared to MB or BMW, they do not feel as solid or built as solid, like door panels, make sounds when you press on them, stuff like that. But the engine of my GS, is so smooth and quiet and car is very fast. But does not feel stiff, it is floaty, the tranny is not as responsive and fun to drive as a BMW lets say I had before it. Will see the difference when I get it back from shop, as my coilovers are going in thee as we speak.. I am leaning towards the CLK, I never had 2 door, plus its design is fairly new and if I drop it with H&R's and put some nice wheels on it, it will look nice.. I would love to have E55, but its expensive.. C32 is great but my friend just got it, so I am leaning towards CLK55 for now, but if I will find a great deal on the other 2 I wiould most def go fo them too.. I will also look out for M3 SMG, but its stick still.. I never had stick.. that is why I am a bit confused. I wish they had 06 CLK interior in 03, that would be the winner, that is why E500 is also one of my choices, because the way they finassed the inerior. I would only go with Silver with black interior in all 3 cars, and I want NAV.. So, it might take me awhile to find that perfect car with under 40k miles..
Old 08-27-2006, 08:18 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Originally Posted by dlomonosov
I would only go with Silver with black interior in all 3 cars, and I want NAV.. So, it might take me awhile to find that perfect car with under 40k miles..
An '03 E500 (or E320) with Navigation is likely to be very rare. It wasn't even available at the start of the MY.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:39 AM

01 Lexus GS430
I want to stay $30k-35k range. I drove 03 E500 sport w/ 12k miles. It was ok, steering feld diconnected from the road, it was not as smooth tranny wise shifting gears and not as fast as my GS. The fit and finish materials in it are supurb and a lot nicer then GS (06 GS is close to MB though, just test drove that too, it was very simular to my GS feel though), but e500 feld richer while driving, it feld heavy in a good way but suspension wise feld like my GS after I upgraded bushings on my GS and coilover Tein CS suspension. After all I did to my Lexus, still feels heavy and there is body lean. I just realized that nothing would feel like a BMW on the road, just nothing. E500 shifted through gears alot rougher then my GS also.. S, CL, and Sl classes is what makes the benz in my opinion. Yesterday I found 03 CLK55 AMG with 26k miles, Silver/black w/ NAV.. It was sitting on the lot of this used car dealer right next to 01 M3 slver/black w/NAV and it manual. And there was 05 C230 Sport in white next to them also. CLK is the most expensive fastest car out of 3 and looked least sportier and agressive!! This CLK just doesn't do it for me. M3 looks so agressive and looks like its got *****, as I stated before previous CLK looked beafier and more agressive then this new body style. So, I went for test drive on the CLK55. Steering felt very light even compared to my GS. Take off was fast!! It is a very fast car, but it was so loud, so unMercedes like, I guess thats the only way to achieve this HP. On the road it feld more composed then my GS but very simular to E500, they both felt like they handle the same and same as my modified GS. The inside was nice, but not as nice as E500, it is like C-class what it is based on. So, for speed, it is a fast car. But C32 looks more aggressive then CLK, but very simular look to c230 sport on the road, it does not stand out like M3 does, lets say.. If I had the money I would get CLS500 or 55, or E55. If I had more money the new S550 with AMG package in silver looks insane in and out, or SL550 or 55. But I don't know about the 3 I started this thread for. My friend in NJ bought 2002 C32, had it few month and wants to sell it already. Said, yes it is a fast car and he bean M3's on the road a few times, but it just does not handle or feel as good on the road as his previous 330ci. I will look towards 2002-2003 M3 I think with 30-40k miles. This are my impressions guys.. Sorry for long one.. lol
Old 09-06-2006, 11:11 AM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
Dayum that was hard to read.

If you want sport - 6MT M3 would be hard to beat unless you get something like a used 911.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Yes there's nothing like a Benz but, you are not used to many trips to the Service Department having driven a Lexus in the past/present.

I love my car when everything works as designed... BUT...

Anyway my car is a FULLY optioned car (I forgot to order LED Tail Lights & Chose not to order Distronic Cruise Control), but otherwise its pretty loaded & I guess the more crap you load into these cars, the more "visit workshop" you'll be exposed to. So with the good comes the bad. Many Lexus owners laugh at us MB owners for having the "wool pulled over our eyes", but I had to own a Benz (a true automobile blue-blood coming from a majestic automotive legacy) at least once, for myself to love & hate.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 09-06-2006 at 12:20 PM.