HID kit installed, small problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its big and Grey!
HID kit installed, small problem

good news: When the car is off and I turn on the headlights on they go on ok. Then I turn the car on and they still are ok.

problem: when the car is already started and then I turn on the headlights, they flicker.

do I need to bring it to MB to activate xenons present? I didnt think I had to since they convert the power from 55 to 35watts...

This is a full HID kit. Ballasts, igniters and bulbs.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E350
do they flicker once as soon as you turn the switch on? If they do that is normal for HIDs. If they flicker more than once then you may have a problem somewhere.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
they flicker constantly when i turn the lights on when the car is on. If I turn them on before I start the car and then start it after they are already on then there is no probkems.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
off to the dealer in the AM. got a appt at 8.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
$114 later, "xenon present" and we are working great!
Old 09-11-2006, 06:38 PM

HELP With HID Installation

Did you have to remove the bumper for the HID install? I just bought the mtec HID kit and when I opened the hood I don't see any possible way to get in to the back of the headlight casing to open it up and replace a HID bulb etc. Also, did you have drill a hole in the cover to allow for the HID wires to come out?

Thanks for all your help.

AN.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
Originally Posted by dromed
Did you have to remove the bumper for the HID install? I just bought the mtec HID kit and when I opened the hood I don't see any possible way to get in to the back of the headlight casing to open it up and replace a HID bulb etc. Also, did you have drill a hole in the cover to allow for the HID wires to come out?

Thanks for all your help.

AN.
yes, and yes.

took about 3 hours to do.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:27 AM

2006 vs. 2007 HID BULB Wiring Harness are the Same?

Hi again,
Thanks for your quick reply. I have a 2007 e350 and the haress to the bulb is just one plug, however the harness from the ballast and/or bulb is two small ones. Im wondering if there is a variation on the bulb harness between the 2006 and 2007? Would you be able take a pic of the bulb to harness and/or harness to ballast connection point? I hope they didn's change the wiring harness because I just bought a w211 mtec hid kit thinking it would fit on my '07. At first glimpse, it doents look like they match. Thanks for your help.

Arek
Old 09-12-2006, 03:28 AM

2006 vs. 2007 HID BULB Wiring Harness are the Same?

Hi again,
Thanks for your quick reply. I have a 2007 e350 and the haress to the bulb is just one plug, however the harness from the ballast and/or bulb is two small ones. Im wondering if there is a variation on the bulb harness between the 2006 and 2007? Would you be able take a pic of the bulb to harness and/or harness to ballast connection point? I hope they didn's change the wiring harness because I just bought a w211 mtec hid kit thinking it would fit on my '07. At first glimpse, it doents look like they match. Thanks for your help.

Arek
Old 09-12-2006, 07:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
my car is put back togher, but if you PM me your number, Ill try to talk you though what I did.

~Evan
Old 09-12-2006, 01:29 PM

06 Merc E55, 996TT
how did you aim the xenons? I have a retro fit but the auto leveling is not hooked up... do you have auto leveling?
Old 09-12-2006, 07:39 PM

Dear KOSHERWORLD

Hi,
I'm wondering if you had to connect the additional wiring harness that these kits come with? There are two ways to install these things according to my instructions. One they say is without lcd screen and one way with lcd screen. They have included an additional wiring harness thats supposed to go to the battery first and then to the ballasts etc. The additional wiring harness all around the engine bay seems like a pain in the ***. Just wondering what you did. Thanks.

AN
Old 09-13-2006, 06:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
Originally Posted by the yellow man
how did you aim the xenons? I have a retro fit but the auto leveling is not hooked up... do you have auto leveling?
Fortunately, I did not have to reaim the headlights. If you remove everything carefully you should not have to adust anything afterwards.

Hi,
I'm wondering if you had to connect the additional wiring harness that these kits come with? There are two ways to install these things according to my instructions. One they say is without lcd screen and one way with lcd screen. They have included an additional wiring harness thats supposed to go to the battery first and then to the ballasts etc. The additional wiring harness all around the engine bay seems like a pain in the ***. Just wondering what you did. Thanks.

AN
What the LCD screen? I didnt have this...
I also didnt use any woring harness to go the battery. The kit I used used powered directly from the stock wiring fromthe headlight bulbs.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:24 PM

Ive Installed my HID'S

Ok, well three hours later yesterday I installed my mtec hid kit and they look awesome. I DID NOT have to remove my bumper. I will tell you that is a VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY tight fit to get the bulbs into their housing. The HID's are so delicate that you don't want to have it touch anything and that can be a true pain. I do notice that the lights are bit "high" though. Did you have the issue? I noticed, that the hid bulbs do not have "seat" to sit in, in the housing, did you find this true? I mean the bulbs base has notches and circles and gooves however the acutal MB housing ring does not have any matching grooves. Wondering if you have an input on these issues?

Thanks.

Dr.Omed
Old 09-18-2006, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
Ok, well three hours later yesterday I installed my mtec hid kit and they look awesome. I DID NOT have to remove my bumper. I will tell you that is a VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY tight fit to get the bulbs into their housing. The HID's are so delicate that you don't want to have it touch anything and that can be a true pain. I do notice that the lights are bit "high" though. Did you have the issue? I noticed, that the hid bulbs do not have "seat" to sit in, in the housing, did you find this true? I mean the bulbs base has notches and circles and gooves however the acutal MB housing ring does not have any matching grooves. Wondering if you have an input on these issues?

Thanks.

Dr.Omed
I had to take the silver housing off the OEM bulb and use my pliers to "configure" it so that the HID buld could fit in it. No biggie.
Have no issue with the bulbs being High though.

In all honesty I have no clue as how you did this install without removing the bumper and headlight housings. Where did you mount the ballasts and igniters? How did you fit your hands in that area, its really tight?
Old 09-18-2006, 06:11 PM

THANKS for the compliment.

It was very tight. I had led light flashlights all over the place illuminating the entire area to see. I did remove the coolant tank over a bit on the driver side and that helped a lot it opened up some much needed space. I used latex gloves too so that I wouldnt touch the bulbs. I really thought about it and figured there is no way the dealer or the manufacturer would want their techs removing the ENTIRE bumper just to replace a light bulb which could be a common service issue. I took my time and really analyzed the path into the housing. Once I fit the bulb into the housing though, I was not able to see the "turning" of the bulb to make it sit in those fork like teeth that hold the bulb in place because my hand would be covering all angles. It was tough, but beat loosening all the screws on a three week old 07' 350. I'll try to post pics later. My ballasts and ignitors are all in one square alluminum box about four by four by one. The Mtec HID (cost me 360 + 30 for shipping) was a very professional setup. High quality parts, and very clean install. For now I tucked the ballast (which includes the ignitor) into a safe place and will bolt it down later. Also, the beam may just appear to be high, what I really need to do is have someone drive the car so I can see what it looks like. I recommend the Mtec HID Unit completely. I got it off ebay.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
I got this kit, http://www.xenonking.com/8000.htm

excellent quality too!
Old 11-18-2006, 03:20 PM

BMW M5
Hi everyone, I have D2C HID bulbs. Do I need H7 Bulbs? I just purchased a new 2007 e-class and need some help.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:54 PM

BMW M5
Anyone?
Old 11-22-2006, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Get the real Xenon's. Dont do the cheap route. if you can afford 50K+ for a car, a few K's should not be a problem for a set of real xenon projectors.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:32 PM
Almost a Member!

The car already comes with projectors, I'm not trying to be cheap.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:34 PM

BMW M5
Sorry was on my old name which I hated
Old 11-22-2006, 10:01 PM

I noticed, that the hid bulbs do not have "seat" to sit in, in the housing, did you find this true? I mean the bulbs base has notches and circles and gooves however the acutal MB housing ring does not have any matching grooves. Wondering if you have an input on these issues?
I was thinking of ordering the mtech kit -- are you saying they sit in there a little loose so the bulbs rattle around a little?
Old 11-23-2006, 03:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
But those halogen projectors arent designed for use with Xenon bulbs. The Xenon projectors are entirely different. You wont have proper light distribution with the halogen projectors.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
I beg to differ, I have had not one person complain or note about glare or such from using the same housing for the HID's. To be honest, I think its all rumor. I bet ya that the actuall housings on the w211 for the headlights are exactly the same for non-hids and halogen.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HID kit installed, small problem