Split Folding Rear Seats in E550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
Split Folding Rear Seats in E550

I know the split folding rears have more utility but are they less comfortable than the fixed rear seats? Also, do they create any annoying squeaking noises after a while? This was always a lively topic on BMW boards and I was wondering if it is the same with MB? Any comments from those who have the option or those that chose not to get it?
Old 08-28-2006, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW FTW
Originally Posted by noka
I know the split folding rears have more utility but are they less comfortable than the fixed rear seats? Also, do they create any annoying squeaking noises after a while? This was always a lively topic on BMW boards and I was wondering if it is the same with MB? Any comments from those who have the option or those that chose not to get it?
They might... But I would check out one thing in person since I am not sure about it. Well on the ML the early ML's had leather between the seats and they would end up rubbing and squeaking, on the later MLs they replaced the leather between the seats with cloth and that fixed the problem. So if you have a cloth insert between the seats I would say its safe to say they wont squeak but if its leather, once the squeak starts I have yet to find a method to stop it.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:30 PM

Received 262 Likes on 168 Posts
I've only had my E-class for a month, so I can't comment on long-term squeaks (although squeaks drove me insane in my C43 AMG...I drove with the seats folded a lot of the time because of it). The back seat in the E-class is perfectly comfortable with them; haven't been in the back seat of one with fixed rear seat backs to know if there's a difference.

One thing regarding the folding rear seat option that was never explained to me prior to or after delivery (nor did I read in any internet forum): The rear seat cushion needs to be removed for anything other than a very short trip for an average height driver and/or passenger. Releasing the rear seat backs automatically motors the front seats to their forward-most position, and once the bottom cushion is flipped forward and the seatback lowered, any rearward travel of the front seats (which is VERY little) is with pressure against the folded rear seats. The result is a very tight and awkward driving position for an average sized person. (Removing the rear bottom cushion allows full rearward front seat travel.)

So be warned...the option is an over-engineered afterthought.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:44 PM
LNL

C300
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee

One thing regarding the folding rear seat option that was never explained to me prior to or after delivery (nor did I read in any internet forum): The rear seat cushion needs to be removed for anything other than a very short trip for an average height driver and/or passenger. Releasing the rear seat backs automatically motors the front seats to their forward-most position, and once the bottom cushion is flipped forward and the seatback lowered, any rearward travel of the front seats (which is VERY little) is with pressure against the folded rear seats. The result is a very tight and awkward driving position for an average sized person. (Removing the rear bottom cushion allows full rearward front seat travel.)

I wish I had known that before I ordered mine. Seems like a very inconvenient "convenience."
Old 08-29-2006, 04:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
I've only had my E-class for a month, so I can't comment on long-term squeaks (although squeaks drove me insane in my C43 AMG...I drove with the seats folded a lot of the time because of it). The back seat in the E-class is perfectly comfortable with them; haven't been in the back seat of one with fixed rear seat backs to know if there's a difference.

The "average" Amercian is somewhat less dainty than the "average" European.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:18 AM

E500
I had a 2003 pre-nav E500 with the split folding rear seats. The seat cushions were immovable, just the seat backs could be folded down. While in the up position, they never made any squeaking or rubbing noises. However, if there is/are any gap(s) between the two seatbacks it(they) will allow road noise to pass through into the passenger compartment. One way to tell if this exists is have your car outside in daylight. Open the trunk and look thru where the two seatbacks meet. If you see daylight you'll have road noises.
For that reason, when I ordered my nav replacement, I didn't get the split folding rear seats.

PS- I found no difference between the two regarding seat comfort.

Last edited by e500; 08-29-2006 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:39 PM

2006 E320 CDI, 2001 C240, 1973 Ford Bronco
Never had a problem with squeaking or road noise with the folding rear seats on either my E or C. It's a great option. Just flip one or both of them down when you need to get something long in there and off you go. I don't think you need to fold the rear seat bottom forward if you don't want to--only if you need to get a completely flat loading floor, but correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by HFMB
I don't think you need to fold the rear seat bottom forward if you don't want to--only if you need to get a completely flat loading floor, but correct me if I'm wrong.
On my 2006 there are large warning labels on the sides of the rear seats to not fold the seat back without tilting the bottom cushion forward. In the owner's manual it states that upholstery damage can occur.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by benzmodz
The "average" Amercian is somewhat less dainty than the "average" European.
Have you been to Germany?
Old 08-29-2006, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Have you been to Germany?
Yes I have and I only notice half the population.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:22 PM
Banned

AMGs
I had this option on my last 05 E500 and did not have any problem with it, althought I only kept the car for 6 months.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:38 PM

2004 E320, 2006 Infiniti G35X, Yamaha VMAX 700 (Snowmobile)
No problems here with noise, Of course I have never had the need to fold them down other than cleaning the car.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 S63 COUPE
love mine.....this option sealed the deal on my car...
Old 08-29-2006, 07:12 PM

Harley-Davidson
Originally Posted by SPIKES
love mine.....this option sealed the deal on my car...
I'm getting this option for the first time on my '07. Please let me know what wonderful things I'll be doing with the rear seats flat.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
cyclerider
When do you expect to take delivery. I am waiting to hear what people think of this updated E-series.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:54 PM

Harley-Davidson
cyclerider
When do you expect to take delivery. I am waiting to hear what people think of this updated E-series.
Off topic:

As far as I know, it hasn't been shipped from Germany, and may not even have been built yet. I ordered on June 5th, and frankly I'm surprised it's not here already.

There are only a few 2007 owners who have posted their opinions. Look for posts by matt55, louiscg, and Greg S.

edit: I just spoke with the dealership, and my E550 is at the dock in Germany waiting for a ship assignment. Once it sails, it will be in Long Beach, California in three weeks, and then will head north to Oregon.

Last edited by cyclerider; 08-29-2006 at 09:14 PM.