CAN, MOST, Sleeping & Clean Rebooting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
CAN, MOST, Sleeping & Clean Rebooting

I notice that when certain components fail to "load" or operate properly or at all, turning off the car, walking away & coming back later to restart it will often be a "clean, cold, re-boot" of the system... and whatever failed to operate last time will work now.

Just what are we waiting for to "cool down" or "go to sleep" or "lose their memories"? ..and more importantly, how long does one have to wait minimally, for a clean re-boot & a successful operation of the cars electronic accessories.

If for instance, the satellite radio fails to operate (searching for signal/no sound, after resuming driving around for 20 minutes) after stopping at a rest area, one would want to continue a long trip with the satellite radio working... so how long must one shut off the car & walk away from it in order to enjoy the rest of the drive after a clean, cold re-boot?
Old 08-30-2006, 08:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
Just pull the power from the audio gateway using the fuse box in the trunk and wait about 15 seconds. Then put it back in.

Operation of the MOST system doesn't neccesarily involve CAN. The MOST system can wake up two ways; one being the electrical wake up line, and the other being fiber optically. The system should start immediately as the power button is pressed or the vehicles ignition is put into position 2 or started. If there is a few seconds delay(with MB emblem displayed on HU) then the first wake up attempt was not succesful. This could also happen if the vehicle was coded incorrectly. They designed most this way to work when D2B could not. Some components in most can be spliced into the same wake up line that runs to the bridge connector. Besides all that bull****, MOST transfers data faster and uses better fiber optics. MOST is easy to diagnose if you know the system well, D2B contains a little more grey area for the technician.

Last edited by csumt76; 08-30-2006 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
I notice that when certain components fail to "load" or operate properly or at all, turning off the car, walking away & coming back later to restart it will often be a "clean, cold, re-boot" of the system... and whatever failed to operate last time will work now.

Just what are we waiting for to "cool down" or "go to sleep" or "lose their memories"? ..and more importantly, how long does one have to wait minimally, for a clean re-boot & a successful operation of the cars electronic accessories.

If for instance, the satellite radio fails to operate (searching for signal/no sound, after resuming driving around for 20 minutes) after stopping at a rest area, one would want to continue a long trip with the satellite radio working... so how long must one shut off the car & walk away from it in order to enjoy the rest of the drive after a clean, cold re-boot?
I would say that there is a problem with your system if it behaves liike you described. You should be able ( i have been able to ), shut dowm and start your car without even noticing any loading issues with any of your components. Further, once the hardware is coded, there's really nothin to "load" except your audio gateway might say please wait for a few seconds or so.. other than that, if what you described above Except for the SAT signal happens all the time, you have a conflict somewhere and it needs to be diagnosed. That would drive me nuts as I am always in and out of my cars..
Mybe the problem is being caused by the SAT radio.. THat is waaaaay to long to be driving aroung with no signal. I typically loose my signal 1. when I pull into my garage, and 2, if I linger under a bridge too long... Either way, when there is line of sight again, my signal quickly resumes and stays...

I think your system has some issues...
Old 08-30-2006, 10:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by [MB]CRS
The MOST system can wake up two ways; one being the electrical wake up line, and the other being fiber optically. The system should start immediately as the power button is pressed or the vehicles ignition is put into position 2 or started. If there is a few seconds delay(with MB emblem displayed on HU) then the first wake up attempt was not succesful. This could also happen if the vehicle was coded incorrectly.
Could it be that there’s a problem with the MOST wake-up Bus connector (drivers rocker panel)?
Old 08-31-2006, 01:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Could it be that there’s a problem with the MOST wake-up Bus connector (drivers rocker panel)?
Possible, but doubtful... The connector has a cap on it, and when it is locked down in place then the wakeup line is connected. That is pretty much it. They teach that scenario in school but I have not seen it yet in the real world. You would need a component to be completely dead or shorted.. or it could be one multiple components if you are talking voice control/handsfree/cp/sat/etc.. Even still the system could wake optically.

You lose the system if one component fails entirely.. then the ring does not communicate. Most often it is software or a problem with the FOT inside the component. I have made diagnostic jumpers out of the fiber optic transmitters in some handsfree modules..on cars that I installed VCS.