E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

New (to me) E320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 05:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
New (to me) E320

I have purchased an off lease 2003 320 E with few options (heated seats and sunroof). I paid full retail for the car but it was immaculate and had 15,400 miles on the clock. I am an older driver (55) and I would rather take a beating than return to a dealer service dept. Nevertheless, the car has 8 months of warranty remaining and obviously, I will not exceed the mileage limit. I read about the 2003 and bought one anyway so I guess I can't claim ignorance. The car is a joy to drive and has no issues that I am aware of. I have read the oil change interval debates, the SBC debates, the right pull dilema, radio problems etc.
The car was "serviced" by the dealer prior to transfer to me. The FSS? says 8,000 miles till the next oil change which I probably will not hit before the warranty expires.
I ran a carfax report and learned the mfg date, import date and placed in service date but I have no idea how many recall items have been performed and no information on TSB that MIGHT have been done. As I understand it, recalls are mandatory but TSB are issued as a guide to repair on an as needed basis. I can/ will perform normal maintenance on the car after the warranty expires. Can I get any info from the dealer service dept. about the history of the car? It appears that "service" on the car is included for the duration of the warranty. Can I assume that consumables like brakes, wipers, oil changes, etc. are not covered?
And finally, this is a New York car. I am a southerner and not familar with underbody corrision. The exhaust has some surface rust that I would not expect in the South. Are these components SS? If so, the car must have been driven extensively in the salt. Nothing else about the finish would indicate the same. Any preventative suggestions? Thanks for any help
Old 09-22-2006, 05:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,441 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Clinton Horn
I have purchased an off lease 2003 320 E with few options (heated seats and sunroof). I paid full retail for the car but it was immaculate and had 15,400 miles on the clock. I am an older driver (55) and I would rather take a beating than return to a dealer service dept. Nevertheless, the car has 8 months of warranty remaining and obviously, I will not exceed the mileage limit. I read about the 2003 and bought one anyway so I guess I can't claim ignorance. The car is a joy to drive and has no issues that I am aware of. I have read the oil change interval debates, the SBC debates, the right pull dilema, radio problems etc.
The car was "serviced" by the dealer prior to transfer to me. The FSS? says 8,000 miles till the next oil change which I probably will not hit before the warranty expires.
I ran a carfax report and learned the mfg date, import date and placed in service date but I have no idea how many recall items have been performed and no information on TSB that MIGHT have been done. As I understand it, recalls are mandatory but TSB are issued as a guide to repair on an as needed basis. I can/ will perform normal maintenance on the car after the warranty expires. Can I get any info from the dealer service dept. about the history of the car? It appears that "service" on the car is included for the duration of the warranty. Can I assume that consumables like brakes, wipers, oil changes, etc. are not covered?
And finally, this is a New York car. I am a southerner and not familar with underbody corrision. The exhaust has some surface rust that I would not expect in the South. Are these components SS? If so, the car must have been driven extensively in the salt. Nothing else about the finish would indicate the same. Any preventative suggestions? Thanks for any help
Once the warranty ends you loose your free maintenance (i.e.: inspections, fluid changes, etc.). Wear & tear items (i.e.: brake pads, wiper blades, etc.) are not covered. The dealership service department can pull up a full history (i.e.: maintenance, repairs, recalls, service campaigns, etc. completed) by entering the vehicle’s VIN. I would request a written print out. Is the vehicle classified as MB Certified Pre-Owned? If so, I’m thinking the minimal rust you mention should not be a concern. However, northeast owners could best answer how there vehicle’s underbody has weathered.

Congratulations and best of luck.