MB Classic -> Elegance - > Avantgarde

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB Classic -> Elegance - > Avantgarde

I guess it's a kinda stupid quastion but when I've tried to find out
what is a difference between 'classic' 'elegance' and 'avantgarde'
(i'm more interested what more i've got when i bought e270/2002 avantgarde)
i didn't find alot, so can someone tell me.

Cheers,
Old 09-29-2006, 05:35 PM

2001 CLK320
The trim levels you are asking about (classic, elegance, avantgarde) are marketed in Europe, UK, Asia, Australia and abroad.

In North America, we get a "blend" of elegance & avantgarde packages that are bundled with various models whether it's the Sport Sedan (C class) or the 6cyl or 8cyl models in the other series

With the classic it may be mb-tex upholstery and various bits of trim.

Elegance will usually have burl walnut trim, velour (or some other cloth) upholstery, neutral tinted glass (greenish) and specific wheels to a given series. The grille slats may be chrome finish in some cases.

Avantgarde this might be the dark wood trim (black birdseye maple for example) blue tinted glass and a specific upholstery to that group. The grille slats might be black finish with some models.

another trim level I've seen on European models is the Sport version, which may have carbon-fiber look trim and white instrument faces with a different version of upholstery from the Classic trim level.

As I recall, leather upholstery is usually optional at extra cost in the non NA markets.

In the US, for example a C-class sport sedan or CLK350, E350 will come with burl walnut trim, neutral tint glass and the CLK / E will have leather included with the 6cyl models. The C-class may come with aluminum trim with wood optional. This will come with a 16" wheel as standard equipment.

When you go to the v8 models (CLK500/550, E500/550), you'll get the black stain maple wood, blue tint glass, 17" or 18" wheels (depends on which series), leather (or premium leather) included. On other series airmatic or ABC suspension might be bundled in on higher trim levels.

The NA standard equipment will usually include higher trim level radio head unit, cruise control, power seats, power windows, power mirrors, central locking, and other miscellaneous options in the mix, again dependant on which series is involved.

Typical optional equipment offered (NA) is sunroof, rear window shades, automatic dimming rearview mirrors, garage remote integrated in rearview mirror, rain sensing wipers, CD changer, XM radio, Comand nav, tele-aid.

As I recall looking at the German website and European market brochures, there's a lot of items that are offered as optional so to keep the price lower if the customer wants to do it that way.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
Nice write up on clearing those definitions not found in the US catalog. I've found a lot of items standard here but options in HK, which is quite a headache for me when browsing the HK Mercedes website.