E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

BMW Convert Here - Getting my car in Nov

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2006 | 03:58 AM

BMW Convert Here - Getting my car in Nov

Hi All,

So I have decided against the BMW 5, and put my money on a E.
Although exterior-wise I love both cars, I was just utterly disappointed at the interior of the 5.

MB is foreign territory to me, so any information you guys can give me would be most appreciated.

Mine is a E280. I wanted the 350, but it was 100K HKD more. Which would bring the car to over 800K in HKD. Which is about 100K USD.
I have added the sport package on it, as well as the normal sunroof.
So it's not the EXACT car I wanted, but I can't afford the one in my head. hehe.

So my questions:

What are the usual mods done to this car?....

Then,
Ride height - it already has sport suspension in it, but what suggestions do you guys give for lowering it JUST A LITTLE. (HK Roads = cannot slam)
Any good recommendations on coils? (H&R? cuz I loved my H&Rs on my 3)

Stereo - I only have the normal stereo with 20 CD. The LCD Stereo would cost another chunk o' change. How do you hook an IPOD onto it?

Airflow - mostly just to give it a little sound.

Not really into the PERFORMANCE part, as it's more of a daily driver. Just going for SHOW.

Maybe I will scan the spec sheet for you guys to give me some more opinions tomorrow.

Again, thanks for any info in advance. I know the questions are pretty general. Just want to get a feel for it first.

Kip
Old 10-17-2006 | 12:22 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Originally Posted by kipkipkip
Hi All,

So I have decided against the BMW 5, and put my money on a E.
Although exterior-wise I love both cars, I was just utterly disappointed at the interior of the 5.
I hear you, although exterior-wise I don't care for the current 5-Series any more than I do interior-wise. This is after driving BMWs, a 3 and a 5, for 19 years. I wouldn't call myself a convert to M-B, exactly, more like a refugee.

What are the usual mods done to this car?....
Most M-B drivers don't do cosmetic mods to their cars at all. It's a Mercedes-Benz, after all, not a Honda. For those who do feel the need to spend their money that way, the usual mods are rims, body kits, tinting, lowering, exhaust tips ... the standard stuff. People want to be different, just like everyone else.

Stereo - I only have the normal stereo with 20 CD. The LCD Stereo would cost another chunk o' change. How do you hook an IPOD onto it?
USA-spec E-class cars of Model Year '04 or later have an AUX jack that allows you to input a portable audio device directly into the audio system. They can also be fitted with an iPod integration kit that allows the iPod to be controlled and displayed through the car's controls and display. I don't know if those two statements apply to HK-spec cars. Check with your dealer.
Old 10-17-2006 | 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
I was utterly shocked by the interior of the BMW 5 series. I looked at it last week as a possible new car. Compared to the current E's interior it looks like W 210 interior except more spartan & sparse. It is so plain and so "undeveloped" looking its almost primitive by the E's standards. And to those who think the American cup holders in the E are poorly designed, the one in the 5 Series is absolutely horrific, but when (not if) the cup spills onto something, it will be all over the floor, not into the innards of the console.

Hope your new E is kind to you, and you enjoy it.