E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

HOLY STROMBOLI...New tranny for my E?!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 10:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wifes 2004 E320

Had the TCM (transmission control module) replaced at Euro Motorcars in Germantown. I see you are in Frederick, so I mentioned the dealer.

The car, from day one, had a shudder or jerk at parking lot speeds. Finally, thanks to this forum, I was able to get them to look deeper at the problem and they replaced the TCM no problem.

This may not be exactly your problem, but she is now a happy camper.

Try searching this forum under "jerking"...or was it jerk?

Good luck
Old 10-20-2006, 11:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by Kar don
Jangy don't diss the 7G, It shifts butter smooth when u have the right combination of valve body/software .

I've only heard rumors that the newest revisions are finally getting BETTER. Don't diss it? LOL. MB's rep is getting shafted by it. I am trying to help them get causght up. There is no denial by them that the 7g is the concern for ALL of their new lineups. If you like yours, great. But, I have enough experience with it and enough documentation to know the truth.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
They have addressed the rough shifts that were caused in earlier build 7G-Tronic transmissions. The new ones are as smooth as a babies butt.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by chairman
Had the TCM (transmission control module) replaced at Euro Motorcars in Germantown. I see you are in Frederick, so I mentioned the dealer.

The car, from day one, had a shudder or jerk at parking lot speeds. Finally, thanks to this forum, I was able to get them to look deeper at the problem and they replaced the TCM no problem.

This may not be exactly your problem, but she is now a happy camper.

Try searching this forum under "jerking"...or was it jerk?

Good luck

Yep, my car is at the same dealer. The thing is, I haven't had any real problems with mine. It did have the rough 1-2 and 2-1 shifts but that has been fixed for a while now. They reflashed it some time ago and it's been smooth. The only problem was on slow and go's. I would feel what appeared to be a shift into the next gear but it was still in the same gear. Has to be the torque converter, right? So I searched around and found a post by KonigsTiger mentioning an incomplete adaptation would cause this. So I asked them to reset the adaptations and reflash to newer code if neccessary. That's where the problem is. The tranny won't accept the new flash. Or any flash for that matter now. Logic tells me that it's the TCM/TCU. They've ordered a new one and if that doesn't fix the problem, they're ordering me a brand new transmission.

The best part about this is, that I went in for a squeaky seat and a new headlight and I could come out of it with a brand new transmission. Crazy.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Welp,

Got the E back yesterday. The car shifts like it's new. Not a harsh shift up or down through all 7 gears. But it's still in learning mode right now. We'll see if it lasts. But here's the weird thing. The dealer said that they ended up not replacing anything. They got the transmission to accept a brand new release of software and they reset the adaptation. Not sure what to make of that. Last week I was told that it wouldn't accept any software now all of a sudden it can? I don't know. I'm not gonna raise too big a stink. Like I said before, this transmission has been good and with this new flash, it's better than ever. I haven't felt the torque converter locking up on slow and go's yet, which is good. Oh, I was also told that because I have bigger, heavier wheels, that's the reason I was feeling the torque converter lock up. Something about more rolling mass with the upgraded wheels. I don't know. Anyway, I'm happy right now. The thing shifts silky smooth and I even left it outside last night in sub 40* weather.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
Software!!!!

Very interesting. Most of the problems with these new cars are software related, with various electronic components not " talking to each other". MB needs to upgrade its dealer repair ability with a centralized, really on the ball, help center where dealer techs, who really can't keep up with the software upgrades, can go and get help. I had an integrated phone issue that they spent a lot of time tracing physical answers, like new cradles, wires, antennas, when the answer came in a software bundle. One of my boxes wasn't communicating with the other one. This was after 2 visits. Another problem was static on AM after about 25,000 miles. This was caused by a left front brake sensor setting up a signal that was picked up by the radio. After another 2 visits, this was fixed by a dealer tech that accessed a data base that described the problem. Maybe we need Konigstiger on retainer!!!
Old 10-26-2006, 08:53 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've taken my E500 in 4 times for tranny related issues (harsh upshifts/downshifts among other things). Dealer never does anything.
Each time I get my repair sheet.. "Normal".
Same thing for steering wheel shudder/vibration at speed.. "Normal"
Well.. that one has gotten MUCH worse.. you can hear it now. Sounds like a bearing or something going out. See if they actually fix somethign this time.
Seats still squeak after those were supposedly fixed.
Front speakers (the tweeters in the door) are blown.
I'm really trying to like this car but man.. it's not easy.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by newton22
I had my TCM replaced OUT of warranty.

After the bill, I thought about suicide.
So did you?