? on '07 Sports Pkg Option

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
? on '07 Sports Pkg Option

There is a disclaimer in the '07 Brochure that says selecting the Sports Package which gives you the 18' wheel/tire set up, will result in "markedly more rapid tire tread wear, a harder ride, more likely tire/wheel damage from road damage, & more tire noise. These all season tires are not for driving in snow. Driving in snow requires the use of approved wheels with snow tires."

Its a beautifull looking wheel, and the blue glass & dual exhaust is kinda neat too, but I guess I'm losing the ability to rotate tires due to their different sizes front to rear... What I'm asking is... is the Sports Package an asset or a liability? Am I going to have these tires wear like erasers? Is the firmer ride "Harsh" or sporty? I typically diive my '04 with the air suspension set on sports 1, but I don't mind Sports 2 either. I've got 33,000 miles on my '04's 17 inch Michelins, have rotated them regularly & I guess they have at least 18 thousand miles more to go, tread & shoulder-wise. I've never damaged a rim or tire on the 17's.

Thats a lot of disclaimer that MB is putting in the brochure. It must be for a reason... is it?
Old 10-26-2006, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 AMG E63s
Why not just order the same size front tyre/wheel comination for the rears then you can rotate.

I do not find the ride harsh at all on my E350 sport just a little more jittery but its much better in handling than a standard "non air" E suspenion.

I have travelled 26,000 km on mine and i would say about 60% wear on the tyres so im assuming i'll get about 40,000km before i need to replace them.

Tyre noise is slightly more and i guess the lower the profile tyre you go the more chances of damaging a wheel increases.

So far i have been lucky.

I think MB USA are just covering their butt just in case you don't like it so they can tell you WE TOLD YOU SO.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
If we order the sports package, its an all or nothing deal. We can't tell them to give us all of it except we want the same size tires on all 4 wheels. Here it's a no charge option, you get it if your head "needs" it.

I don't mind if the car is a little "twitchy" I sort of feel like my '04's steering is like trying to mix a bucket of tar with a stick... the steering feels "thick" is how I discribe it to friends. (Because I won't lt them drive it... (Heh, Heh)
Old 10-26-2006, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by Aussie-E-John
Why not just order the same size front tyre/wheel comination for the rears then you can rotate.

I do not find the ride harsh at all on my E350 sport just a little more jittery but its much better in handling than a standard "non air" E suspenion.

I have travelled 26,000 km on mine and i would say about 60% wear on the tyres so im assuming i'll get about 40,000km before i need to replace them.

Tyre noise is slightly more and i guess the lower the profile tyre you go the more chances of damaging a wheel increases.

So far i have been lucky.

I think MB USA are just covering their butt just in case you don't like it so they can tell you WE TOLD YOU SO.
He can't. In the US you take what you get unlike down under I presume. BTW, 40000km = 25000 miles. I wouldn't call that good compared to his statement and the tires he has on the car.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:35 PM

2018 AMG E63s
50,000 miles on set of 17" tyres is un heard of down here.

Just goes to show what crap roads we have.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
20+ to list......
Well, the disclaimer serves as a warning to the general public who are not so cautious about road hazzards. I have sport package on mine, and I drive it 100% of the time with sports 2 setting. In my opinion, it's still softer than what I would call sport/firm suspension. For instance, my wife has a C230 Sport, and its suspension is definitely firmer than what I have on mine. With air suspension, I think 18s are fine in NYC, but of course, if you hit a couple deep pot holes, you can kiss them goodbye.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
I live on L.I., so the roads are pretty good, and I do swerve to miss pot holes whenever it is at all possible & safe to do so. I DO watch where I go as opposed to those here who point the car between the white lines whith a firm grip of the steering wheel and the cell phone, & never alter their course... The disclaimer seemed unnaturally strong. Almost like they dare you to take the package. Its no problem for me to get 42 - 50 thou miles on a good set of Michelins. I just would prefer not to see it drop down to 22 - 32 thousand.

Also, they make it seem like you're gonna go deaf from the tire noise & maybe chip a tooth from the ride harshness, as you drive with a death grip on the wheel. LOL. I guess I shouldnt worry.

On another note... How come MBUSA only offers Black, White, Metallic Black, Burgandy, 11 shades of Gray and oh yeah...Green. Surely we can do with a couple less Gray's and get creative in the Fatherland's paint room Boys!
Old 10-26-2006, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
On another note... How come MBUSA only offers Black, White, Metallic Black, Burgandy, 11 shades of Gray and oh yeah...Green. Surely we can do with a couple less Gray's and get creative in the Fatherland's paint room Boys!
Barry...you're forgetting the 2 shades of blue.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:43 PM

My thoughts are that the

warning is for liability reasons (don't say we didn't warn you). The car will have some additional tire noise due to the "ultra-high performance all seasons", but I'd rather make that sacrifice that then have a sponge to drive. Yes, the tires will wear faster. I think you are getting great mileage from your tires.

I have an S4 and my wife has a 04 E320 The tire noise in the S4 (18" all seasons) is not that much more noticeable. I live in the DC area and the wheels are holding up well, there was one pot hole, but the wheel could be straightened.

We will be in the car market soon and I’m sure that the sport package box will be checked if we decide on an E350. We have seen similarly equipped cars and they look more aggressive.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:43 PM

Received 267 Likes on 171 Posts
MB is attempting to go after BMW with a real sport-package for the W211, as opposed to the previous 'appearance package'. They are giving existing customers fair warning that there are trade-offs for the no-cost 18" wheels, low profile tires, and lower ride height/stiffer suspension. The previous 'appearance package' option also had the blue tint, aluminum interior trim, white gauges, and revised skirts/bumper caps...but the same suspension and tire/wheel size as the standard cars.

You should always test drive before making a decision. Don't base your decision on opinions from the board...some of us like more ride stiffness and road feel than others.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:53 PM

SL550
I have the AMG Sport Package with 18" Z-Rated Continentals, and I think I'll be lucky to get 20K out of them. These tires are pretty much garbage, as are the Continentals I had on a previous Mercedes. The Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s I had on my 540i performed MUCH better and lasted longer.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
just covering there asses... I have the sport package with identical wheels and tires on my 06... its not harsh in the least bit... and I actually prefer it to a non sport E ride...

Go for it, you wont be sorry
Old 10-28-2006, 03:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
Barry 45

Sounds like you are getting close!!!!!! Go for it!!!!!
Old 10-28-2006, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Yeah I'm close do doing it. I'm not worried about the ride... back in the '70s I had what was referred to as "Muscle Cars" with big wide soft Goodyear meat on them... & back then we drove with natural air conditioning (open windows) & I was cool with it.

I find I always do better with mileage when the tires are Michelin. Longer Life, a little less adhesion than a softer rubber compound.

I'm thinking of a Granite Gray/Ash, P2, Sport Pkg, VCA, MHI Phone/cradle. Parktronic if I can locate one.

P.S. Starting Nov, the sports pkg can be ordered with black wood or brown. Some interiors look good with the brown wood, some with black. ...but alternate colors might be ok. No Pewter with Beige interior. Too close to what I have now.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E320
Whoa...what happennned Barry ? Your last big thread re "Oh well, I give up" from 9/28, I got the feeling you were finished with the 211 when you said " I'm done, I give up...I'm disapointed with this $69 thousand dollar car to say the least. I won't buy another. " !? https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/164711-oh-well-i-give-up.html
Are you a glutton for punishment or what ? or what changed your mind, inquiring minds want to know because this is quite a turnaround ?

Last edited by starbrite; 10-29-2006 at 12:53 AM.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:02 AM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
P.S. Starting Nov, the sports pkg can be ordered with black wood or brown. Some interiors look good with the brown wood, some with black.
How and where did you get this info? I knew the E63 had that option but the others........ Is there an upcharge involved?
Old 10-29-2006, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by starbrite
Whoa...what happennned Barry ? Your last big thread re "Oh well, I give up" from 9/28, I got the feeling you were finished with the 211 when you said " I'm done, I give up...I'm disapointed with this $69 thousand dollar car to say the least. I won't buy another. " !? https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=164711
Are you a glutton for punishment or what ? or what changed your mind, inquiring minds want to know because this is quite a turnaround ?

Yea 45.... I'm wondering the same thing... I also have to ask, why not wait for the new generation to come out. I'm sure you can deal with that P.O.S your driving now for another year to see what the new one is going to look like before you pull the trigger.
Goodluck with what ever you decide...
Old 10-30-2006, 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
The Brown wood is called W90 Designo "(whatever the name of the Brown wood is)" I think its $60. Was shown the order screen at the dealer. Available for order in Nov.

As to why the turnaround... I have been told by many, many people that the '07s are far, far more reliable than the '06s, and the '06s are far more reliable than '03 - '05.

It seems that numerous electronic parts were redesigned... I might give it a shot. When the car is working properly, there is NOTHING like the ride of a Benz... I've driven (road tested) everything out there right now in an effort to replace my car & I come back to a Benz. BMW 5xx is gonna be in the shop as much as my '04 E. Now I'll have to see if I pull the trigger... I'll let everyone know.

As to why not wait... supposedly with all generations of car, the later model years of a given model are better & more reliable than each previous year of the same model. I'd never go for a 1st or 2nd year MB model again. A new '07 would put me on cycle to be in a W212? E Class a couple of years into its production so as not to be another pioneer.

I LOVE my car but maybe the one I got is possesed? I dunno.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E320
Barry, IIRC it wasn't just the car that bothered you but also the service from the dealer, which isn't going to change much.
Maybe if a (the) new car isn't in the shop as often you won't have so many bad experiences. Good luck whatever your decision.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
I can't knock the dealer service... Its just that every time they fixed something, something else totally unrelated would fail. Sometimeswhen I was there picking up the car, sometimes within a week.

To be fair, if it failed after I dropped off the car, It wouldn't be on the RO, so the tech wouldn't look to check it out. The failures seemed to get closer together, and more random as the car got older. Crazy.

But I've got the car back now, so lets see what happens...
Old 10-30-2006, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E320
I can't knock the dealer service...
Hmmm, not exactly. Quotes from your thread that would indicate otherwise. Sorry, Barry not trying to bust your chops, it just seems that the excitement of considering a new car has you very forgiving re your previous posts of service department woes :
"Also said they replaced the antenna & cables-They didn't... same black hockey puck on trunk lid, no color matched new antenna. Display still says "Searching For Signal" Occaisionally on start-up.

They didn't do the DSB for the heat coming out of rear A/C vents, while the front tries to cool off the car. Instead they claimed that they did an Evac & Recharge of the A/C & found a leak in the system. (The A/C was nice and cold so there was no leak).

My 2 keys STILL do not summer open the windows and the roof, except once out of 50 tries... they said the "reprogrammed 1 key for parking aid".

They didnt replace 2 black push fasteners along the black plastic moulding inside the trunk next to the left tail light, even though the RO said they did. I still had 2 holes. I went to the parts department to BUY them & put them in myself. (The parts guy gave them to me)
Just some of what you wrote in the op of that thread...there was more.
Maybe, like someone in love, you're now only remembering the good things ?

Last edited by starbrite; 10-30-2006 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Maybe.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:31 PM

'06 BMW 530i, '03 BMW M3
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
MB is attempting to go after BMW with a real sport-package for the W211, as opposed to the previous 'appearance package'. They are giving existing customers fair warning that there are trade-offs for the no-cost 18" wheels, low profile tires, and lower ride height/stiffer suspension. The previous 'appearance package' option also had the blue tint, aluminum interior trim, white gauges, and revised skirts/bumper caps...but the same suspension and tire/wheel size as the standard cars.

You should always test drive before making a decision. Don't base your decision on opinions from the board...some of us like more ride stiffness and road feel than others.
I have long waited for Mercedes to offer a real sports package on the E. The lack of a sports package like this has always steered me in the direction of BMW because I prefer the crisper handling and, in my opinion, generally more fun to drive nature of BMW....until now (I hope).

I think the E, and especially the refreshed '07, is the nicest looking sedan on the road. If it drives anything like my '06 5-series I will be eager to make the switch to a car I can both enjoy looking at and driving. Can't wait for that test drive this weekend....
Old 10-31-2006, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
I was trying to decide which to get before I picked up my E550, since the 550i offers both sport package and a manual tranny, but after reading lots of reviews and watched a handful of videos on both, I've decided to go with the E550. I have no regrets on my decision, and am loving the car everyday I drive it.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
reb03, I wont be surprised if you come back home in say an E350 sport or even E550 Sport. You wont be dissapointed one bit. The quality is better inside and out, and hell its darn reliable too.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ? on '07 Sports Pkg Option