E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Sirius reception

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E550 and 2007 335i
Sirius reception

I am rather disappointed in the sat. radio reception. I have the factory setup in my 2007 E and when driving near tall trees or under any overpass I lose the signal. I have a circuit city installed xm radio that's 4 years old in my 2002 C class and it only loses the signal when I go under a looong tunnel like under the runways at Lax. In addition the xm antenna I am using is smaller than a matchbook. Also it is placed inside the car on top of package shelf. The install instructions said that this was a terrible place to put the antenna but it works much better than my new Sirius. Is everyone else having similar reception issues?

Thanks
Stevec32
Old 10-26-2006, 09:08 PM

2007 E350 Sport
Sirius

I have XM and Sirius on my cars and less problems with XM. On the Benz however, Sirius reception problems have been minor.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:44 PM

2011 S550
the reception in sirius is not as good, bottom line.
XM antenna can be in the car and you will have no problems.
The rotation of the sirius satellites is not the same as XM, also XM seems to have more repeaters hence less loss of signal.
i have both. programs on sirius IMHO is better but interface on XM is better.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
When it's working properly, how is the Sirius sound quality (music) compared to FM and CD, particularly CD. I wish Sirius had a trial period for car units, even if only for a couple of days. I tried their internet radio trial and it sucked,
only 35kbits/sec ( medium quality mp3 is 192 !)
Old 10-27-2006, 12:28 AM

03 E55
Originally Posted by stevec32
I am rather disappointed in the sat. radio reception. I have the factory setup in my 2007 E and when driving near tall trees or under any overpass I lose the signal. I have a circuit city installed xm radio that's 4 years old in my 2002 C class and it only loses the signal when I go under a looong tunnel like under the runways at Lax. In addition the xm antenna I am using is smaller than a matchbook. Also it is placed inside the car on top of package shelf. The install instructions said that this was a terrible place to put the antenna but it works much better than my new Sirius. Is everyone else having similar reception issues?

Thanks
Stevec32
Stevec32, I have the same reception issues. I have Sirius in another car that works much better...
Old 10-27-2006, 09:41 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
I never have reception problems even when I am way up north. I have the antenna mounted in the back window by Steve.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:53 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
I have the XM micro-antenna on the rear package shelf connected to (ahem) an XM MyFi portable. Reception is excellent, with no dropouts except in deep canyons or in the "shadow" of buildings. After hearing the many complaints about Sirius reception, I'm forced to the conclusion that, other things being equal, XM just has better reception, at least in a W211. True Sirius fans will, of course, beg to differ.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Our E320 has an XM receiver from Best Buy

They installed it so the unit was the only give away. The antenna is mounted on the roof, it uses a heavy magnet. Reception is great 95% of the time (tunnels and such are the exceptions).

A friend has Sirius and it is always cutting out, reception is horrible.

I wish that MB would offer a choice, I prefer XM programming.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:41 PM

Harley-Davidson
The signal drops out frequently on mine as well. Any drive along a winding, tree-lined road or more than a second or two beneath any overhead object triggers a few seconds of silence while the screen displays "acquiring signal". I am getting in the habit of hitting the Audio button to switch to a radio station when I get a red light at a location without a clear view of the sky.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'06 E500, '99 ML430 and '07 SL65
I had my SDAR unit swapped out and it greatly improved my reception. I had it done because it would show that it was searching for signal even when it was playing. Swapping the unit out didn't solve the initial problem but my reception is much improved.

Getting the SDAR swapped might help you out.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E500 4matic, 2014 GL320, 2013 C300, 2015 Stingray
Antenna question

OK -

Great thread - i have the exact same issues w/ my Sirius reception. Most overpasses i go under, anytime i drive on tree covered streets, always losing reception.

OK - now my question - can you put a splitter where the antenna plugs inot the main unit on the drivers side trunk, run another antenna to the front window area, and thus have 2 antennas? Will this work (signal wise)?

My current antenna is on the rear shelf, thinking the front & rear placement should work.

Any thoughts?

Aceman
Old 10-27-2006, 09:50 PM

SL550
Some issues here as well, though I've done pretty well with keeping reception through underpasses. My biggest issue is it sometimes saying "Acquiring Signal" when I start up the car despite being in a place where the signal and reception should be perfectly clear. Sometimes when all seems well, the signal will randomly go in and out while driving in areas with no overhead obstructions. I'd say I'm about 80% satisfied with Sirius.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:15 PM

2004 E500
Reception is likely dependent on one's geographic location

XM and Sirius use rather different satellite orbits, if I recall correctly, making any comparison difficult as much depends on where one is located.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 321 Likes on 237 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
I was so disappointed with the Sirius reception on my wife's C55 I skipped it on my S65. Not only does it lose lock on winding roads it loses lock under every overpass, even at highway speeds.

Audio quality is disappointing at best. The real bandwidth is way too small and the lossy compression makes for very annoying distortions. It's ok for talk radio, but not for quality music reproduction.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E320
Originally Posted by whoover
Audio quality is disappointing at best. The real bandwidth is way too small and the lossy compression makes for very annoying distortions. It's ok for talk radio, but not for quality music reproduction.
Well, I guess that's the answer to my question in post #4 above. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by whoover
I was so disappointed with the Sirius reception on my wife's C55 I skipped it on my S65. Not only does it lose lock on winding roads it loses lock under every overpass, even at highway speeds.

That is not my experience at all! The quality of Sirius music is great and so is their internet radio. You cannot blame Sirius for the implementation in MB cars you should blame MB instead. Someone mentioned somewhere (maybe in another post) that the reason for Sirius being perceived as being so bad was because they use ground repeaters. Well both XM and Sirius use ground repeaters in order to reach subscribers in urban areas where buildings might block the signal. The only two differences between XM and Sirius are the compression algorithm and the way they use their satellites.

XM uses 2 birds each covering one half of the continental US whether Sirius uses 3 satellites on rotational basis as they orbital paths come to bear on the whole US.

I have never (in my MB or previous cars) had any problems with the quality of the signal and the music received. I have had situations where I could not get a signal but once it was there it was as good as a CD.

I am not married to either XM or Sirius but don't blame them for something that is not under their control. -and no, I don't work for either radio station.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:19 AM

2007 E550 and 2007 335i
Thanks for your thoughts

It seems many people have similar issues with sirius radio. Both sirius and xm have ground repeaters. I was under the impression that sirius had much better satellite location so that they needed many less repeaters. I believed that since xm had a bad satellite location very far south that they used many many cell towers to make up for the difference. I long for the reception of a 4 year old matchbook xm antenna under glass verses my 9 inch rudder on top of my 60k car. And the sound quality of Mercedes sirius is equal to fm, the sound of aftermarket xm in my 2002 c32 is equal to a cd. Oh well such is life....

stevec32

Last edited by stevec32; 10-28-2006 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:53 PM

07 SL550; C32 (sold)
i have reception issues too on my 07 sl. loses reception when i pull into my garage!! wtf?
Old 10-28-2006, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E320
Originally Posted by amgme
i have reception issues too on my 07 sl. loses reception when i pull into my garage!! wtf?
Very strange considering there are "in home" Sirius receivers and their antenna's pick up the signal just fine.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
I don't have huge problems with reception on my ML, but it does cut out. My experience is similar to sgaar, where the quality is just fine, but it will search for signal under some tree lined areas, under some bridges, and in my apartment parking garage.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Here too, but my Son's Honda Accord will play in an open walled 4 story parking garage on any floor. Why? Who knows?

I must say, Ilike the programming better on Sirius now, & for some reason, all factory XM cars display truncated song names & Artist names. Sirius equipped cars seem to display many more letters with less truncation. I've checked many XM cars on this... I dunno...
Old 10-30-2006, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
I must say, Ilike the programming better on Sirius now, & for some reason, all factory XM cars display truncated song names & Artist names. Sirius equipped cars seem to display many more letters with less truncation. I've checked many XM cars on this... I dunno...
That depends on the make of the car and how the manufacture implemented Sirius. In my previous car I also had Sirius and I got less imformation there than I do in my MB. Sirius sends the info to the unit and then the unit displays the info in the way the designer wants.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
I posted this a while back.... Sorry the links no longer work...

The sat radio is not a mercedes issue its a sirius issue (no pun intened) they have sats that are moving around in an orbit so you will get signal very strong sometimes and weak others or none. Thats why I went with XM they have geostationary sats so you dont run into must of any signal problems also XM is supposed to have more repeaters than sirius.

orbits of sirius birds.

http://www.heavens-above.com/orbitdi...sp?satid=26390 ---- sat 1

http://www.heavens-above.com/orbitdi...sp?satid=26483 --- sat 2

http://www.heavens-above.com/orbitdi...sp?satid=26626 --- sat 3

I dont have the link to XM's but I think they launched the 4th one recently. The first 2 they sent up had defects from boeing and could not operate at full power for long so they shut half of each one down and moved the 2 broke sats together and launched a fixed one to take over the eastern side. Recently I think they launched the 4th one that has no defect and the XM-3 and XM-4 are transmitting with XM-1 and XM-2 offline as back ups. But the XM sats are made by boeing and are the most powerful communications satellites that you can buy and have a fixed orbit.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Here too, but my Son's Honda Accord will play in an open walled 4 story parking garage on any floor. Why? Who knows?

XM limits the number of characters that are displayed... Sirius allows for more characters. It has nothing to do with the XM radio all of them have the same issue just because of programing, apparently it saves bandwidth and allows for higher quality audio.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by starbrite
Very strange considering there are "in home" Sirius receivers and their antenna's pick up the signal just fine.
You might live near a repeater and be going off that vs the real satellites. Most signal in very populated areas comes from repeaters, which also explains why in some tunnels and parking garages you can get signal. You can do a google search both XM and Sirius legally must show the location of repeaters with the FCC and you can look that up but most of the time it gives you lat and long coordinates.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sirius reception