Oh How I hate Crooks!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 01:38 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Wow.. The criminals, what a bunch of idiots. Amazing.

I hope your car is in good shape.. (I doubt it though).

Last edited by ATS; 11-13-2006 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:22 PM

C240
Well yes thats me, its been one hell of a ride dealing with all the cops and insurance Co.
so the police did end up doing a good job...hehe

Just luckily, detectives friend happen to call for this car for himself but got spooked for some reason, and gave the VIN# to detective to make sure if everything is ok.
Yes finally got the car back saturday morning, happen to be in chicago when got the call. Car looks fine except few scratches here n there. Have to take it to a dealer to get it checked out mechanically. Might be a oil leaking issue, not sure though. (Any suggestions onto which dealer in an around lombard,chicago area)
Now the bigger problem i have is, as soon as you report a car missing through insurance, its a public info. meaning its on CarFax and wherever else these type of services keep track of such things. Still has a good title(got the title back), but it woudl show up as stolen recovery on CarFax which would make it real difficult to sell such vehicle, even though car might not need any fixing. Local Mercedes dealer is very iffy about handling such transactions. Wisconsin insurance law doesn't adjust for diminish value of the car. Which means more $$$s lost besides a great real market value. Any lawyers inhouse to advice me through this hole. Is there anyway to push insurance Co. to compensate for such even though it clearly states in my policy for insurance co. not to payout in such cases?

Last edited by DesiBaba; 11-13-2006 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by DesiBaba
Well yes thats me, its been one hell of a ride dealing with all the cops and insurance Co.
But yes finally got the car back saturday morning, happen to be in chicago when got the call. Car looks fine except few scratches here n there. Have to take it to a dealer to get it checked out mechanically. Might be a oil leaking issue, not sure though.
Now the bigger problem i have is, as soon as you report a car missing through insurance, its a public info. meaning its on CarFax and wherever else these type of services keep track of such things. Still has a good title(got the title back), but it woudl show up as stolen recovery on CarFax which would make it real difficult to sell such vehicle, even though car might not need any fixing. Local Mercedes dealer is very iffy about handling such transactions. Wisconsin insurance law doesn't adjust for diminish value of the car. Which means more $$$s lost besides a great real market value. Any lawyers inhouse to advice me through this hole. Is there anyway to push insurance Co. to compensate for such even though it clearly states in my policy for insurance co. not to payout in such cases?
Perhaps you can file a civil suit against the thieves for any money inclusing diminished value that you were not compensated for. See a local lawyer about that possibility. If in fact the thieves have any assets.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 A8L 4.2
My non-expert opinion: if the insurance company did not total the car, then it would not be branded as a recovery/salvage. In any case, CarFax is VERY slow at gathering their information, I have had salvage cars that do not show up for a couple of months after I buy them at auction. So you can safely sell your car and disclose that it was recovered only if asked, you do not need to disclose it voluntarily because no damage was done. I would not worry about it, try and sell the car for a decent price so it goes quicker than trying to get full retail for it.

Good luck, and I am glad you could get the car back.

Cheers

Edward
Old 11-14-2006, 10:59 AM

2008 Aspen, 1970 Corvette, 2000 Corvette and 2009 Legacy Limited
Originally Posted by tashakes
My non-expert opinion: if the insurance company did not total the car, then it would not be branded as a recovery/salvage. In any case, CarFax is VERY slow at gathering their information, I have had salvage cars that do not show up for a couple of months after I buy them at auction. So you can safely sell your car and disclose that it was recovered only if asked, you do not need to disclose it voluntarily because no damage was done. I would not worry about it, try and sell the car for a decent price so it goes quicker than trying to get full retail for it.

Good luck, and I am glad you could get the car back.

Cheers

Edward

On step even further. As a private seller, it is buyer beware. You are not required to state any condition of the car. It is incumbent of the crooks... err buyer to research. I know a dealership is liable, but this does not apply to private party.... especially safe if listed "as is condition".

Now having said that... it is a pretty slimy thing to do... Pass the troubles to the next person. I know I wouldn't want someone to do that to me. As always... it truly is buyer beware.

Good luck... it is only money!
Old 11-14-2006, 12:54 PM

1987 Mercedes 300 SDL
I don't care what anyone else says on this matter. It took an extremely large set of brass ***** to post your matter. I am new to this forum and a fresh college grad, so every one of these posts were read by me, and lead to a better understanding of how to conduct business. That is what these forums are for is to help out people in any way possible--and you did just that.

Glad to see you got your car back, and don't worry the crooks will eventually get what is coming to them!!!