Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 06:12 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Originally Posted by paulv
Hey DWP,

Did you ever get that BCM update recall done on your car? Or maybe your VIN wasn't there?

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Mercedes-.../50600081.html

I wonder if there's another SW update for the BCM for our year.
We didn't get any BCM recall notices, assuming it was a full recall and not a service campaign. Maybe our VIN wasn't in the affected range. I trust that the service department installed the latest SW yesterday, though you never know.

Just think. In a few years cars will probably receive regular software updates from the manufacturer by WiMax or something like that. I can hardly wait until my car reboots itself following an update just as I'm crossing a busy intersection.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Originally Posted by DWP
We didn't get any BCM recall notices, assuming it was a full recall and not a service campaign. Maybe our VIN wasn't in the affected range. I trust that the service department installed the latest SW yesterday, though you never know.
It wasn't a full recall, but a service campaign as you mentioned. According to the TSB, my VIN wasn't in the range of vehicles affected, but the dealer changed the BCM SW -- maybe my car showed up as needing the update on their VMI.

Originally Posted by DWP
Just think. In a few years cars will probably receive regular software updates from the manufacturer by WiMax or something like that. I can hardly wait until my car reboots itself following an update just as I'm crossing a busy intersection.
If that ever happens, you'll wish you still had your '73 Datsun 510!!

Regards,
paul...
Old 11-04-2006, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by DWP
Sometimes updating software in an item that isnt giving you a problem, can cause conflicts with other things in the system that will cause them to malfunction. I'd rather be asked before accepting a download from MB.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Sometimes updating software in an item that isnt giving you a problem, can cause conflicts with other things in the system that will cause them to malfunction. I'd rather be asked before accepting a download from MB.
Barry,

Sounds like you've been doing a lot of patches to your version of Win XP Pro on your computer!!

Regards,
paul....
Old 11-04-2006, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I'll accept Microsoft Win XP updates pretty much easily, but I never accept updates from Microsoft to update DRIVERS on my machine. The computer manufacturer may have used a custom made (OEM) version of a name brand card in the machine that they purchased on contract to build a bunch of machines, that require a special version of the driver also be supplied by the card manufacturer. The windows driver update utility will not recognize that fact & will download the card's "retail" version of the card's software, not the "contracted" OEM version. This WILL cause problems.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
This has been very helpful. My car posted the consumer electronic message twice in the last three days. I have owned the 2003 E320 about two months.
I believe the second hand dealer (not MB) replaced the large battery. It looks awfully fresh and they said to drive it for 75 miles before attempting to get an emission test. The car has 16,000 miles so I can guess that the small battery may be on the way out. Did I understand that BOTH batteries are glass mat? I am very fond of Yuasu batteries as they make that type for motorcycles. They are reported to be good for 6-8 years. Motorcycle charging systems are usually very weak and overtaxed with headlight on at all times. I am going back to the dealer for a general check up anyway.
The car remains in warranty for several more months but does not need a service for 8,000 miles so I guess the next oil change will be on me.
In any case, the details are most informative and I appreciate the information.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Clinton Horn
.......... Did I understand that BOTH batteries are glass mat? ........
Both AGM batteries in the W211 are glass mat, and are flat, as opposed to spiral wound (like Optima batteries are spiral).

Here's some specs on both batteries:

Systems Battery: 12V, 95 Ah, 520A (DIN)
Aux battery: 12V, 12Ah, 170 A (DIN)

Regards,
paul...