new 2006 E350 -- first driving impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 12:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 GLC300 4MATIC
Lightbulb new 2006 E350 -- first driving impressions

Hey everyone-

So you may have read my recent intro where I explained that I encouraged my Dad to purchase a 2006 E350 for my Mom.

Well this weekend my parents drove down to visit me in SD and they brought the new car with them, and I finally had the chance to put it through its paces.

I'm too tired right now to write much, but my summary is this:

I am 100% convinced that once my beloved 2001 X5 4.4 Sport expires, I'm through with BMW. I just cannot accept the spartan interiors combined with the cheap look exteriors. Between my girlfriend's new ML350 and my 2-hr test drive in the E350 from LA to SD last night, the ride comfort and interior luxury just blows away the current generation of BMWs.

That said, if it was my Benz, I'd have definitely ordered the sport package. Whereas the standard suspension is brilliant for around town, I found it too soft for the freeway. Taking the 405 to the 5 en route to SD from LA, I found the car too unsettled by huge dips and bumps while cruising at 85 mph if the road was anything other than perfectly straight.

Simply put, it didn't feel as "planted" as my X5 sport. Also, the lack of xenon HID headlights was a HUUUUUUUUGE downer. Yes, they're the best halogen lamps I've ever experienced, but after driving cars equipped with xenon lights for six years now, it is a very disappointing "day/night difference." Cruising at 85 mph I kept having this uncomfortable sensation that I just couldn't quite see everything taht I was used to seeing with my X5. It was rather unnerving, in fact. It is inexcusable that Mercedes does not make xenons a standard feature on their cars when so many lesser cars do so.

The audio system is REALLY nice -- upgraded HK premium audio -- and the satnav works really well too, once you can figure it out lol. Germany companies still have a long way to go before matching the intuitive ergonomics of japanese navigation systems.

Which leads me to my other complaint: the onboard computer steering wheel controls!!!!!!!! AAHHHHH!!!!!!!

As for car performance, WOW. Having a torque PLATEAU instead of a torque PEAK maks a HUUUUGE difference in the butt-o-meter. I tried a standing-start launch today down in SD to about 80 mph lol and holy CRAP, the car FELT a LOT faster than its 6.6 sec to 60 suggests. Is it really "only" 6.6 secs to 60?!

On the opposite end of things, I find the brake pedal pressure to be a bit odd ... I can't quite seem to apply the force I want to apply: it's either not enoguh or too much lol. Then again, it could because I'm still use to my X5, and obviosuly all cars are different, just takes getting used to.

In conclusion, the FEEL of luxury and comfort in this or any other modern Benz is just WORLDS ahead of any BMW, and I'm 100% convinced that, because my next car will DEFINITELY be a convertible, I'll end up with a black SL-class Benz for SURE; even if "only" an SL500 or SL550, as opposed to a pre-owned (2003?) SL55, I think when I graduate law school in 2008, I should be able to land a solid deal on one of those SL Benzes and that's the car for me, without doubt.

Anyway, I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving ... ttys!

Last edited by CROSVS; 11-24-2006 at 12:36 AM.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW FTW
I am not sure about this xenon fad.. After driving the M3 then E class back to back I can see a whole lot more with the E class. I think it has to do with the temperature of the halogen lights allowing for easier visual. Yes the xenon lights make the white lines stand out but thats just about it. I used to think xenons were a big deal but not anymore I actually prefer halogen projectors.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
The brake feel" is because the car has "brake by wire" (SBC)... brake pedal travel, how fast you pull your foot off the Gas & how quickly you hit the brake pedal is telling a computer how much brake to apply & how quickly. Its not just your eyes & your foot thats involved. It was eliminated on the '07s.

The 211's Bi Xenons are the BEST headlight I have ever driven with. (& mine don't turn as I drive.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 11-24-2006 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 GLC300 4MATIC
Wow. I knew of the brake by wire technology, but (a) thought MB had done away with it a few years back due to too many complications with it and (b) had NO idea that it worked as you describe!! That's ... hm. A little unnerving actaully. I couldn't imagine driving a track car with that sort of technology.

As for xenons, I still stand by what I said and I will never own a car without them.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:40 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ
I am not sure about this xenon fad.. After driving the M3 then E class back to back I can see a whole lot more with the E class. I think it has to do with the temperature of the halogen lights allowing for easier visual. Yes the xenon lights make the white lines stand out but thats just about it. I used to think xenons were a big deal but not anymore I actually prefer halogen projectors.
There is a huge difference. They give me E320 loaners with Halogens and my E500 with Xenon's, to quote Townshend, "I can see for miles". with the high beams on and with the low beams everything is crisp and lit. You should try driving down a dark road to see the difference.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by CROSVS
Wow. I knew of the brake by wire technology, but thought MB had done away with it a few years back due to too many complications with it ......

You're confusing month with years. Guess time flies when you're havin' fun.