E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Service "C" - $500?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350W4
Service "C" - $500?

I have had my '06 350 for about 13 months and have almost 13,000 miles on it. The MFD indicated that service "C" was due, so I called and made an appointment. On the phone they said it would be about a $260 visit. When I dropped the car off the tech said expect $450 - $500, depending on what the FSS tells them. I requested that they call me before doing any work.

When they called they said that it would be $500 with everything indicated by the FSS. I asked them to talk me through what it needed and they said:
1) Oil/Filter Change
2) Brake Fluid Change
3) Change Cabin filter
4) Various inspections

When I asked about the above on the Ala Carte basis they said the oil change was $90, the break fluid would be $125, and the cabin filter was $85 installed so that leaves $200 for "Inspections"? When I challenged this, they said "Sir you don't understand, this price is based on the package price of doing everything in Service C". I suggested that it is absolutely impossible to believe that they would spend 1.75 hours "Inspecting" the car (yes, they charge $115 per hour for labor). I requested that they only do the oil change.

I am curious if skipping any of this could cause warranty issues, or problems when I turn in the car at the end of the lease (I have no intention of buying the car)?

On my invoice it says I declined service "3", "9", "12" and "13". I understand that service "3" is the cabin filter, which I would think would be for personal comfort only, and shouldn't impact performance, warranty or lease turn-in. Service "9" is the break fluid, which seems very premature at 13,000 miles. Even my Bentley, with mineral oil could go 2 years or 20,000 miles without a change. Service "12" is the oil & filter change - Which I did. And service "13" is a bunch of b/s inspections, which I think should take 30-45 minutes, and be done for free, as this could lead to warranty work for the dealer.

My big question - by skipping this will I have trouble at the end of the lease?

Thanks,

Farrbar
Old 11-22-2006, 09:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,429 Likes on 3,149 Posts
'71 Pinto
Each Service Code (i.e.: A through H) has a corresponding dedicated estimated time, C = 3 hours. I agree it seems too soon to change the brake fluid and I would question this further. Nevertheless, in refusing FSS recommended services it may be overlooked at lease return however, if push comes to shove it could affect associated warranty service "if need be". Bottom line, I would talk to the service manager about the brake fluid, request a print out of the FSS recommended services, allow completion of all recommendations on the print out, and request a discount or voucher to save on future maintenance service. Your coin, your call...
Old 11-23-2006, 04:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
Good Call

Guess that's why you have a Bentley!!! If you are handy, you can save a lot of money. Brake fluid at 13,000 is premature. Cabin air filter is a variable depending on conditions.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
I agree with what Konigstiger said, and in addition, the Service 13 also includes testing both batteries, and measuring the thickness of the brake pads besides all the other inspections/tests. BTW, service 14 includes everything 13 has plus some other things (like checking the flex discs).

Also, the cabin filter replacement seems high as it only took me 10 minutes to replace mine (including cleaning the housing), and of course, all parts used at the dealer are charged at the list price -- after all, the dealership is a business trying to make money.

Regards,
paul...
Old 11-23-2006, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63, 2006 C55
Re: Service C Cost

I had my car in service "C" a few weeks back, also 13 months after purchase. My bill was about 40% of yours, but they did not change the brake fluid or the cabin filter. I had just over 7500 miles on the clock. I'm not sure exactly what was tested etc., but the service book states that brake fluid and cabin filter are performed after 24 months; although I guess that the FSS would determine what tasks are actually needed.

I sort of felt I paid a lot for an oil change, although my dealer does a very nice job of cleaning the car, and it really needed to be washed. Your post makes me feel better about my bill. I told myself when I bought this car that I would need to pay to play, but the 1st year maintenance requirements and cost have exceeded my expectations. Of course, an E Class ain't a Bentley either.

On a more serious note, I would not do anything to jeopardize your warranty, particularly when it comes to the SBC brakes.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350W4
Service C

While I realize that service 13 includes many inspections, the brakes and steering are the only ones that I deem as significant safety items. I simply have no confidence that Fletcher Jones (Chicago) would actually do any of these "Inspections". I know several people that have paid for tire rotations that they are certain never happened based on identifying marks on the rims. In addition, they use "book time" for each and every inspection. Which, I really think "book time" = "time required for a mediocre mechanic to read the service manual and complete a service for the first time."

I think a skilled mechanic should be able to do it in a fraction of "Book Time" - as a paying customer, I don't want to pay for excessive time. A friend of mine was a BMW mechanic and he said that when he did warranty work he could get 18-20 hours of "book time" in an 8 hour day. He did mention that when it was on the customer dime they usually billed more than actual time, but less than book time.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Originally Posted by farrbar
While I realize that service 13 includes many inspections, the brakes and steering are the only ones that I deem as significant safety items. I simply have no confidence that Fletcher Jones (Chicago) would actually do any of these "Inspections". I know several people that have paid for tire rotations that they are certain never happened based on identifying marks on the rims. In addition, they use "book time" for each and every inspection. Which, I really think "book time" = "time required for a mediocre mechanic to read the service manual and complete a service for the first time."

I think a skilled mechanic should be able to do it in a fraction of "Book Time" - as a paying customer, I don't want to pay for excessive time. A friend of mine was a BMW mechanic and he said that when he did warranty work he could get 18-20 hours of "book time" in an 8 hour day. He did mention that when it was on the customer dime they usually billed more than actual time, but less than book time.
Everything is booktime and some dealers charge more that the booktime, so shop around. Different dealers have different prices for parts also.

Regards,
paul...
Old 11-24-2006, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 E55
Bring it to Motorwerks Barrington....