E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Impressions of the 530xi wagon...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320 4matic, 2007 530xiT
Impressions of the 530xi wagon...

After some trials and tribulations I finally got a titanium silver/ black 530xi sportwagon for the wife.

Overall we love the car. Here is a brief comparison vs our E.

Exterior: Still much prefer the E but not the E-wagon. The rear of the 5-sedan is horrendous and the wagon is a great improvement in that area. I wish the rear doors opened a touch wider than they do...

Interior: I think E wins but BMW is not bad. I like the guages of the 530 but the E interior is more elegant. Cupholders are terrible in both cars. Buttons in BMW feel a little cheaper. I like the BMW steering wheel better. E class seat adjustment buttons are a lot better than the 530.

Driving: Hands down the 530 wins. This is basically why we bought this car. Even the wife was enthusiastic about the test drives and the delivered car did not disappoint. We have about 750 miles on the car so far and wife and I fight over who drives...The whole car feels a lot more taut and handles a lot better.

Features: Love the xenons, auto tailgate, voice control etc...

I-Drive: deserves a special mention because it sucks. I have gotten used to it by now but it is no fun. There is no need to have one knob do everything in a car. This is one thing I WOULD change about the car....I cannot imagine BMW will keep this monstrosity around for too long....

We are happy with the choice. There was really nothing else that fit the bill and driving it is truly a blast.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Drove one of the Susan G. Komen 530xis 240 miles.

Since have an E320CDI, gas engines of similar displacement now seem really weak, and this BMW is no exception. BMW automatic must downshift at slightest hint of a hill on the highway.

Black interior is juvenile. Anthracite much more mature.

Fact a BIG red light comes on in middle of BMW's dash to indicate cruise control is working is STUPID.

BMW needs its diesels in the USA ASAP.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W211 2005 CDI, X166 2013 350 BT, 997.1 2008 C4S
Kent, The tone of your response seems rougher than usual. Everything ok? As for the BMW, I also have one, the 05 X5. Outstanding vehicle in ride, drive, fit/finish.
What's up w/ the black interior=juvenile comment? You have four more days until Friday
Jay