E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Stripped Rotor bolt...HELP :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stripped Rotor bolt...HELP :(

Hey guys...new to this site, but have done a lot of research on it...great site..yesterday I went to replace my front pads and rotors on my 2004 E 320 and when I went to unscrew the little bolt holding the rotor I stripped it.. ..where to I go from here?...also I could not get the bolts that hold to caliper to come loose? do I need an air gun to do that? I used an 18mm wrench.....also I bought this car from New York so I am assuming the rotors are froozen on, what are the chances? and if so how do I heat them? thanks again for all the help...Happy Holidays

Brice
Old 12-14-2006, 09:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Originally Posted by 2004e320
Hey guys...new to this site, but have done a lot of research on it...great site..yesterday I went to replace my front pads and rotors on my 2004 E 320 and when I went to unscrew the little bolt holding the rotor I stripped it.. ..where to I go from here?...also I could not get the bolts that hold to caliper to come loose? do I need an air gun to do that? I used an 18mm wrench.....also I bought this car from New York so I am assuming the rotors are froozen on, what are the chances? and if so how do I heat them? thanks again for all the help...Happy Holidays

Brice
Brice,

I haven't done my front brakes yet on my 03 E320, but I already did the rear brakes. The pivot pins that allow the floating caliper to slide in the mounting bracket (this is the bracket that holds the caliper) have a recessed Torx head. One of mine stripped so I used some vice-grips to loosen it up and then replaced all 4 pins -- they were $18/ea.

This is probably a similar setup that you have.

Regards,
paul...
Old 12-14-2006, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by 2004e320

Brice
The torx bolt that holds the rotor can be taken out, if you use the edge of a small chisel and a hammer and hit it in a circular motion till it frees up.They can be purchased over the counter at the dealer or at many car parts stores.. It is common for cars to have them, but not necessary. IT's a 8.150 or 10.150 thread pitch I forget.

The 18mm bolts that hold the calipers on do not need to be removed unless you are removing the rotors. BUt, they can be pretty tough the first time as they are installed with thread lock. YOu should use a 1/2" drive ratchet, or try to put a breaker bar on your wrench to get the bolts loose once they break free, they will come out, and install easily. I always use a round handle wratchet, and put the box end of a big wrench on the back for leverage. THis usually does the trick.

Good luck..
Old 12-14-2006, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Try a Easy Out....Thats what they are made for
Old 12-14-2006, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 209 Likes on 186 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
I usually just put a box end wrench on the caliper mount bolt and then hit it with a hammer to get this bolt loose.

Carefully, of course. Don't drive your wrench into lines or whateer.

Actually, I think the more dangerous procedure is tightening these bolts, as it feels like you could lift your car off your jack or jackstands.

BTW, caliper mount bolts are supposed to be replaced and not reused.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks

thanks for all the help guys...I will it tonight
Old 12-14-2006, 06:27 PM

03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Originally Posted by lkchris
BTW, caliper mount bolts are supposed to be replaced and not reused.
That's correct (in accordance with the WIS procedure), but it was strange that when I bought mine, the dealer had to order them because they normally didn't have them in stock. Sounds like many dealers are not following the MB procedures very well!!

Regards,
Paul...